• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

invisible ink on a cover?

12 posts in this topic

looking through ebay I came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170798525745

the seller in his long diatribe writes this:

"Item must be returned as shipped to recieve refund, and it must be the item I shipped. I know, invisably mark, and keep records with photos of all items shipped so the item switchers and refund scammers should look to another vendor."

assuming he actually does this I imagine the resto check procedures would reveal this. Invisible ink obviously isn't resto, but this just seems wrong to me and I wouldn't buy a book that had been marked with invisible ink. I sent him a message telling him so as politely as possible.

l

"Item must be returned as shipped to recieve refund, and it must be the item I shipped. I know, invisably mark, and keep records with photos of all items shipped so the item switchers and refund scammers should look to another vendor."

If he can't spell it, don't believe it.

From the QA in this auction the seller says: "I only put these on Flea Bay as a whim, before sending to Heritage." followed by "I will relist each lot if no sale just one time before I send in to Heritage."

I was under the impression heritage had a $5000 minimum consignment value. hm

=== full QA below ===

Q: Hi, In searching for some Planet issues I'm missing I came accross you listing. I was quite excited to see these. I always read a sellers terms and explanations very carefully if I have not bought from them before. I was very disappointed to read this: "I know, invisably mark, and keep records with photos of all items shipped I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but by doing this you have destroyed the value of the comics. Any professional collector or 3rd party grading service will detect these marks (probably they can be seen under a blacklight) and the books will be labelled as qualified or restored which reduces their market value to about 1/3 of the value without such tampering. You can contact CGC http://www.cgccomics.com/contact/index.asp and confirm this. These are some very sought after and collectible books. I'm sure the last thing you want to do is to reduce their sale value by 2/3. I would love to buy books like these from you in the future that are not modified. Mar-13-12

A: First, let me compliment you for actually reading the terms and conditions of Ebay auctions, this seems to be lost on many bidders! Second, if you had read the entire listing you would see I am a long time antiques dealer who is,or should be, well aware of concerns such as yours. I can assure you I DO not add any identifiers to paper goods. Perhaps if I modified the listings a bit ( as I just cut and paste all of them ) to delete the word "and" and ad the word "or" in it's place, or otherwise change the language to avoid the confusion you seem to have. I will work on that. I only put these on Flea Bay as a whim, before sending to Heritage. I kept 10 Planet comics from this lot to be graded, all look to be 8 or 9 easily.I paid the estate $2,000 for what I bought so I wanted to try to get a fast $1,000 back, hence the ebay listing rather than the somewhat slower turn around from Heritage. The main purpose of the paragraph you reference is to discourage the scam artists so common on ebay that try to switch items for refunds, a significant problem with some countries and some types of items. I don t think too many folks have a stash of Planet Comics to switch! Plus, I did take several close-up photos not posted in the listing as a security measure against that very scenario. So, no issues with your concerns!I will go and modify the listing and use that as a future template, thanks for giving me some hints on what may be a concern with other bidders. I will relist each lot if no sale just one time before I send in to Heritage. I will not be discounting them if I re-list.

So if someone with a sense of humor or curiosity in grading wrote in large invisible ink F U CGC on the cover and submitted the book to CGC, once they put it under the dark light and see that, are they going to slam the grade???? I am pretty sure it will not help the grade. :)lol

So if someone with a sense of humor or curiosity in grading wrote in large invisible ink F U CGC on the cover and submitted the book to CGC, once they put it under the dark light and see that, are they going to slam the grade???? I am pretty sure it will not help the grade. :)lol

Only one way to find out. Now where did I put my invisible ink?