• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - March Madness - Rock Albums

Pink Floyd bracket  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Pink Floyd bracket

43 posts in this topic

Several radio stations do a similar thing this time of year, but I wanted a bracket that contained everything from classic rock to hard rock/heavy metal, alternative to folk. Whether you bought a Beatles album when it was first released, or Evanescence was your first concert, there should be something in here for everyone.

All seedings are based purely on RIAA sales figures (the folks that certify albums as platinum, gold, etc). All 68 albums have sold 7 million copies or more, so that was a nice cutoff. I did not include live albums, greatest hits, soundtracks, etc, just new studio recordings. Similar to the NCAA, I took the liberty of moving some things around to avoid conflicts and promote more interesting matchups (ie, no two Led Zeppelin albums facing each other in Round Two).

I left out some incredibly successful albums from acts considered mainstream 'pop' (sorry Hootie & The Blowfish), and left others in. It's not perfect, but not many brackets are & I'm looking forward to some lively discussions.

I've never run a poll before, so if this doesn't look right on my first try, I'll try again. I will include sales figures to justify the seedings and try to include links to Amazon for the albums themselves (in case you have an "oh, that album" moment).

Since the 'play-in' games start tonight, we'll start there as well. I'll put two polls out per day for the play-ins, four per day after that (Mon - Fri). Each will be open for one day. We may not finish at the same time as the NCAA, but we don't have a TV contract.

Enjoy ...

Have to remember its based on the album. I love GNR but VS is a better album in my opinion the illusuion but would have voted for Appetite before VS.

That about sums it up.

I also voted for Jackson Browne. That album is fantastic.

Also, the 12 people that have voted for Innocent Man, your balls called and they are seceding from the union.

I didn't vote for Billy Joel but I own some type of Best of set. Have my balls fired on Fort Sumter yet?

Also, the 12 people that have voted for Innocent Man, your balls called and they are seceding from the union.

Right, because nothing screams masculine like Jackson Browne

Not nearly as masculine as the World's Most Epic combover you got going on there.

Have to remember its based on the album. I love GNR but VS is a better album in my opinion the illusuion but would have voted for Appetite before VS.

This.

I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have when I voted. I voted GNR and was shocked when I saw that PJ was leading. I thought yoiu guys were a bunch of dumbarses.

Then, I noticed it wasn't Appetite. doh!

Billy Joel was married to Christie Brinkley. I have no idea who is/was married to Jackson Browne. I rest my case your Honor. (I voted for Billy Joel)

A friend of mine who I DJ'd with in college had a picture of Jackson Browne taped to a dartboard. Or was it James Taylor? It's all very...blurry. Anyway, I must admit that I like (some) of his stuff more now than I did back then...but still...not so much...

Billy Joel was married to Christie Brinkley. I have no idea who is/was married to Jackson Browne. I rest my case your Honor. (I voted for Billy Joel)

While never married, Browne dated Daryl Hannah for a long time. Although she hasn't aged terribly well, she was smoking hot at that time.

I loved Glass Houses and The Stranger. Innocent Man is the most pussified doo-wop pablum pukefest of all time. If I were billy Joel I would claim that a body snatchers podperson did that album.

But I would still cash the checks.

While never married, Browne dated Daryl Hannah for a long time. Although she hasn't aged terribly well, she was smoking hot at that time.

I would take Christie over Daryl Hannah any day of the week. Therefore Jackson Browne still loses.