• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

B. Krigstein article by Art Spiegelman in New Yorker Magazine

10 posts in this topic

Art Spiegelman, better known to many comics aficionados as the writer/illustrator of MAUS, or perhaps as a major contributor to the late, lamented RAW from the mid-1980's, now has a gig as the art director at New Yorker.

He is also a comics historian. Below is a link to his review of a book about Bernie Krigstein. It is a very interesting read, for those who appreciate such literature.

Here's the link: Art Spiegelman's review on Krigstein

I enjoyed reading the review, and hope that others might as well.

The Comic Paradox website

The book he reviews is, as far as I've seen, the gold standard for a book about a comic artist. Not only is it thoughtful and carefullly researched but it is profusely illustrated and superbly designed. I think they are generally available for around $20 - 25.

Greg Sadowski's new coffee-table biography, "B. Krigstein"

If you like it, then I would recommend Sadowski's follow up that reprints an impressive selection of Krigstein stories.

Thanks. I really enjoyed the second volume The Comics (also from the library- saves a lot of money.) I bought a copy of Impact #1 having heard that Master Race is recognized as a classic story, but did not know anything about the artist. I then read B. Krigstein The Comics. I would like to get a copy of Piracy # 4 (I think that is the number) with the Krigstein orange sun cover.

The Grant Geissman EC books (Tales of Terror, Foul Play) are also really fun to read with lots of information about the artists.

Thanks. I really enjoyed the second volume The Comics (also from the library- saves a lot of money.) I bought a copy of Impact #1 having heard that Master Race is recognized as a classic story, but did not know anything about the artist. I then read B. Krigstein The Comics. I would like to get a copy of Piracy # 4 (I think that is the number) with the Krigstein orange sun cover.

The Grant Geissman EC books (Tales of Terror, Foul Play) are also really fun to read with lots of information about the artists.

I would also recommend Squa Tront 6 which is devoted to Krigstein and contains a critical analysis of "Master Race" by Spiegelman with comments from Krigstein.

:cloud9:

Piracy6-2.jpg

If you like it, then I would recommend Sadowski's follow up that reprints an impressive selection of Krigstein stories.

It is my understanding (from emailing with Matt Sadowski) that there is a 3rd volume planned completing Krigstein's bio but no release date yet. Volume 1 as others have said should be the standard of all artist's bio. (thumbs u

It is my understanding (from emailing with Matt Sadowski) that there is a 3rd volume planned completing Krigstein's bio but no release date yet. Volume 1 as others have said should be the standard of all artist's bio. (thumbs u

Great news, Scrooge!