• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What you collect sucks: featuring The Walking Dead #1

190 posts in this topic

Comps? Anything? Spawn? I thought Mouse Guard had a shot, but after 2 years it lost momentum (in part due to the inconsistent release schedule) and hasn't gotten any big buzz to cross over as a franchise into movies and the book has dropped from a $350 high point in 2007 and leveled off around $150 for high grade 1st prints (not the super rare Comixpress release that preceeded it and only has like 100 copies in its run).

Are we in uncharted territory?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Good one! What was the TMNT pricing like before GPA existed? I was never on that bus back in the 80s so I have no idea what prices were like for copies of the book. It looks like since the HG/CGC market came around the price for a high grade #1 (9.6) has been pretty level at $7-8k.

Could be uncharted lunacy. It's no secret that most people define themselves by what they own. Combined with a popular show people love to talk about, and the fact that show is based on a book with a very limited print run - well, there you have it. Insane prices for the defining objects that inspired the show. There might not be any higher grail for a walkabout TWD fan than getting those comics.

And I don't dismiss myself from that kind of mentality. There are some things that I just *have* to own, and I go after them. I don't ever see TWD falling from $1200 for #1 back down to $50. There's just too much of a following now, and the limited run will ensure someone will always be looking for it - even long after the show has run it's course.

Definitely uncharted territory.

The Walking Dead is also following an interesting core theme that is rarely found in television and movies: Nobody is safe. Not even the lead characters.

In a day and age when formulaic Hollywood stories are boring and predictable, and reality shows are forcing you to constantly find a new protagonist as the characters come and go, TWD seems to be capitalizing on this new story telling formula.

By always introducing new characters and killing off old ones it's almost the "anti Hollywood" genre much like we had an "anti hero" format/genre in comics rise in popularity over the past few decades. It's a take over in story telling ideals and it forces you on a regular basis to connect deeply with characters only to have them written out or killed out of the story.

Image watching a Clint Eastwood movie and having Clint killed off in the first half of the movie and then trying to continue on with a viable story.

It's very anarchistic, it's real and sometimes unnerving because many of us might make similar decisions in similar circumstances.

It's basically (to me) like "scripted reality television" with no real boundaries.

Whatever it is (and maybe I am not doing a great job of describing it), it's resonated with the general public and they've bought into it.

We'll see how long it lasts before something new takes over.

I agree that the following is huge and not likely to fizzle out very quickly.

The Sopranos did that and stayed as far away from formula and convention as possible. As I recall it was quite popular.

That to me showed me that Walking Dead was a game changer like Watchmen. :cloud9:

lol that's a good one. Next you'll compare Chew to Dark Knight lol

I have a high standard of what I watch or read,so when I say Walking Dead is good then that means it is good.

lolyou read more than just Walking Dead?

Go read the What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ? thread, and you will see I have read far more than funny books over the last 2 years. ;)

That to me showed me that Walking Dead was a game changer like Watchmen. :cloud9:

lol that's a good one. Next you'll compare Chew to Dark Knight lol

I have a high standard of what I watch or read,so when I say Walking Dead is good then that means it is good.

lolyou read more than just Walking Dead?

Go read the What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ? thread, and you will see I have read far more than funny books over the last 2 years. ;)

Oops, please don't feed the troll.

Could be uncharted lunacy. It's no secret that most people define themselves by what they own. Combined with a popular show people love to talk about, and the fact that show is based on a book with a very limited print run - well, there you have it. Insane prices for the defining objects that inspired the show. There might not be any higher grail for a walkabout TWD fan than getting those comics.

And I don't dismiss myself from that kind of mentality. There are some things that I just *have* to own, and I go after them. I don't ever see TWD falling from $1200 for #1 back down to $50. There's just too much of a following now, and the limited run will ensure someone will always be looking for it - even long after the show has run it's course.

The Walking Dead is also following an interesting core theme that is rarely found in television and movies: Nobody is safe. Not even the lead characters.

In a day and age when formulaic Hollywood stories are boring and predictable, and reality shows are forcing you to constantly find a new protagonist as the characters come and go, TWD seems to be capitalizing on this new story telling formula.

By always introducing new characters and killing off old ones it's almost the "anti Hollywood" genre much like we had an "anti hero" format/genre in comics rise in popularity over the past few decades. It's a take over in story telling ideals and it forces you on a regular basis to connect deeply with characters only to have them written out or killed out of the story.

Image watching a Clint Eastwood movie and having Clint killed off in the first half of the movie and then trying to continue on with a viable story.

It's very anarchistic, it's real and sometimes unnerving because many of us might make similar decisions in similar circumstances.

It's basically (to me) like "scripted reality television" with no real boundaries.

Whatever it is (and maybe I am not doing a great job of describing it), it's resonated with the general public and they've bought into it.

The Sopranos did that and stayed as far away from formula and convention as possible. As I recall it was quite popular.

Sopranos and 24 (mentioned previously) are shows I never watched so I don't have a point of reference but thanks for the heads up.

(thumbs u

Sopranos, much like Seinfeld was also well retained in the pop culture psyche. People still talk about and imitate both even though they are no longer around (except for reruns).

That's very impressive.

Sopranos and 24 (mentioned previously) are shows I never watched so I don't have a point of reference but thanks for the heads up.

(thumbs u

Sopranos, much like Seinfeld was also well retained in the pop culture psyche. People still talk about and imitate both even though they are no longer around (except for reruns).

That's very impressive.

I suggest you get watching - best U.S. series of the last decade or so.

Louise is a big fan. I'm slowly picking up seasons of shows that I haven't watched. Thanks for the recommend.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

That's very impressive.

Great great show.