• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT-What's your favorite classic TV show and episode from that series?

94 posts in this topic

Fave Seinfeld: the Indian Wedding (the backwards one), followed by Kramer's Merv Griffin show. Too many classics to mention, really.

Seinfeld: The Contest!!! Great episode. Also love the one where Jerry ends up flying in first class with some model while Elaine has a nightmare experience in coach.

- Outer LImits Season 1: Love the Chameleon episode where Robert Duvall goes over to the other side when infiltrating an alien race that has crash landed on earth. Also, the Zanti Misfits with Bruce Dern guesting.

- Brideshead Revisited: I own the entire series on DVD. Waiting to get The Jewel in the Crown

- Cosmos: a personal view by Carl Sagan One of the best ever series.

- One of the other great groundbreaking series was Civilization hosted by Kenneth Clark in the early 70's. Would love to find that on DVD. It was about art and the parallel development of society.

- The Prisoner: Do I have to say anything?

So I gave you six series for the price of one.

The Odd Couple: Felix and Oscar win a car from MusicRadio WABC from Wolfman Jack. Too many classic one-liners: "Aida, of course", "In German it's Das Mach da Schicksten", "What do you have under leaky pipes? Puddles" (what did happen to John Byner?), "Felix, I just won a car", etc.

or the episode where Felix, then Oscar, redecorate the apartment. Hysterical. "I dreamed I sat in a hand, and it made a fist." "Ooops, look at the time, Gotta fly".

The Rockford Files: "Never Send a Boy King to Do a Man's Job". Great two part episode featuring an elaborate con-job. Funny as hell, great writing, great acting.

Twilight Zone: The Gremlin episode--scared the [!@#%^&^] out me as a kid.

Mary Tyler Moore-Chuckles the Clown, without a doubt.

Bob Newhart- the "More Goo to Go" episode.

Newhart- the final episode with the hysterical wrap-up that made the entire show a bad dream.

Seinfeld!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many episodes to choose from!!!

But my favorite episode was the twoparter you might call it a three parter if you include the Keys episode that sent Jerry and George to LA when Kramer was wanted for murder.

It's hard for me to find a Seinfeld episode that don't like.

My fav was the Nipple Christmas Card. Just Awesome! grin.gif

I loved Three's company

My Favourite episode was the one with the misunderstanding when one of the roommates overheard them talking about something and throught it was something else!

That's my favorite one too! And I think my favorite Gilligan's Island episode was when the castaways were really close to getting rescued, but Gilligan screwed it up! grin.gif

That one was great!! I can remember this one episode on Starsky and Hutch when they had to find a criminal and arrest him. Of course they had to go to Huggy Bear to get some information first.

How about the Scooby Doo episode when the bad guys thought that they were going to get away with it but the meddling kids got in the way! 893frustrated.gif

or that Brady Bunch episode where the kids were fighting with each other, but then they reconciled at the end of the show. Except I don't think Alice ever cleaned anything in that episode.

How about the Perry Mason episode when the real killer surprisingly jumped up in the court room and confessed in front of everyone! foreheadslap.gif

you watched Perry Mason? 27_laughing.gif

Do you remember that one Chips episode where Ponch and Jon had to chase the bad guys. Man that was great, especially when the car crashed and went flying through the air.

How aobut the episode of Married with Children when Al stuck his hand into his pants when watching TV! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't remember what episode it was, but I can remember "I Love Lucy" where Lucy gets involved in some crazy predicament, but she is eventually found out by Ricky.

What about that Dukes of Hazzard Episode where Roscoe drives the Cop Car into the swamp, Enos lets the boys escape with a Daisy Duke peck on the cheek and Boss Hogg is Screamin' Dem Dukes!, Dem Dukes!, Dem Dukes!

One thing that always puzzeled me - the cops knew where Bo and Luke lived...

Why did they chase them? grin.gif

I loved Three's company

My Favourite episode was the one with the misunderstanding when one of the roommates overheard them talking about something and throught it was something else!

That's my favorite one too! And I think my favorite Gilligan's Island episode was when the castaways were really close to getting rescued, but Gilligan screwed it up! grin.gif

That one was great!! I can remember this one episode on Starsky and Hutch when they had to find a criminal and arrest him. Of course they had to go to Huggy Bear to get some information first.

How about the Scooby Doo episode when the bad guys thought that they were going to get away with it but the meddling kids got in the way! 893frustrated.gif

or that Brady Bunch episode where the kids were fighting with each other, but then they reconciled at the end of the show. Except I don't think Alice ever cleaned anything in that episode.

How about the Perry Mason episode when the real killer surprisingly jumped up in the court room and confessed in front of everyone! foreheadslap.gif

Do you remember that one Chips episode where Ponch and Jon had to chase the bad guys. Man that was great, especially when the car crashed and went flying through the air.

How aobut the episode of Married with Children when Al stuck his hand into his pants when watching TV! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't remember what episode it was, but I can remember "I Love Lucy" where Lucy gets involved in some crazy predicament, but she is eventually found out by Ricky.

What about that Dukes of Hazzard Episode where Roscoe drives the Cop Car into the swamp, Enos lets the boys escape with a Daisy Duke peck on the cheek and Boss Hogg is Screamin' Dem Dukes!, Dem Dukes!, Dem Dukes!

Good question. It was because they, and the whole stoopid friggin' show, were stoopid. I've never met anyone who actually watched an entire episode from start to finish.

Cue indignant responses. sumo.gif

- Outer LImits Season 1: Love the Chameleon episode where Robert Duvall goes over to the other side when infiltrating an alien race that has crash landed on earth. Also, the Zanti Misfits with Bruce Dern guesting.

- Brideshead Revisited: I own the entire series on DVD. Waiting to get The Jewel in the Crown

- Cosmos: a personal view by Carl Sagan One of the best ever series.

- One of the other great groundbreaking series was Civilization hosted by Kenneth Clark in the early 70's. Would love to find that on DVD. It was about art and the parallel development of society.

- The Prisoner: Do I have to say anything?

So I gave you six series for the price of one.

Brideshead and the Prisoner (along with I Claudius) were some of the best T.V. programs ever to come out of Britain. I could split hairs and say that Brideshead wasn't really a series but a serial adaptation, but what the 'eck. It was a masterpiece.

Other must-see British series - Alan Bleasdale's Boys From the Blackstuff and GBH, Dennis Potter's The Singing Detective and Pennies From Heaven, and Jimmy McGovern's Cracker, plus Our Friends In The North. For all I know they may be available (and known about) in the U.S. If not, get a multi-region DVD player and go to Play.com and other U.K. DVD websites.

Civilization was recently shown on BBC4 (satellite arts channel) but it hasn't been released over here yet, either. Although it might be worth checking Play.com or Amazon.co.uk just in case.

I loved Three's company

Good question. It was because they, and the whole stoopid friggin' show, were stoopid. I've never met anyone who actually watched an entire episode from start to finish.

Cue indignant responses. sumo.gif

emmm, sorry this program was a stab at American Southern Pop Culture,

you just wouldn't understand! grin.gif

Just like the Brit program "Being Served" I don't get,

but on the other hand I'm not much of a dry humor fan anyway.

I love the Dukes! It was the best stupid TV of the 80's and reminds me of my

hayday as a kid watching the boobtube to get a glimbse of these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons!!

Nostalgia make us do crazy things - like grown men spending hours to comment in a forum

about a hobby that when first created was intended to be kids only...

Now it's about done a one-eighty to adults only. grin.gif

Oh man as a kid, I watched almost every stupid show on TV. At that time, they were the greatest.

Dukes of Hazzard

BJ and the Bear

White Shadow

Welcome Back Kotter

Chips

Starky and Hutch

I could go on and on cloud9.gif

For pure originality...it's All in the Family hands down...

I have so many favorites from this show...Sammy Davis Jr.'s visit, Edith's 'problem'....all funny as hell

Other shows I love:

Seinfeld

The Andy Griffith Show

Leave it to Beaver (Classic line: 'Ward, weren't you a little hard on the Beaver last night?

grin.gif"

How about the Cosby Show? This was great...also you guys are old. Anyway the best cosby show was the one were Theo brings home a report card full of D's and he gets in trouble. His dad comes up and they have the talk about money using the monopoly money and then Theo gives what he thinks is a great speech about how he still would love his dad even if he wasnt a doctor why cant his dad love him if he is just a regular person...*crowd applaudes* then Heathcliff says "THAT IS THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD! NO WONDER YOU GET D'S IN EVERYTHING!" 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

everytime I see that episode I crack up...it makes me want to be a father....

I loved Three's company

You can't give someone a speeding ticket if their car is parked (Even the General Lee which was so fast, it might have warranted a speeding ticket while standing still). Roscoe and Enos had a quota to fill hence the elaborate speed traps, etc. Boss Hogg was cruel master.

Star Trek: The Next Generation. Science fiction is my favorite genre, and I found Next Generation to be the finest science fiction series ever put onto television. I primarily attribute this to Gene Roddenberry's practice of openly accepting scripts from people outside of his staff; this created a competitive and diverse range of episodes where only the finest content made it to the air. I think a lot of the camp from the original Star Trek series was more the fault of NBC's influence than Gene Roddenberry; since Star Trek: TNG was a syndicated show, he had near-total freedom to structure the series however he wanted to. I suspect that he, too, preferred TNG to the original series. When TV Guide ranked the top 100 shows of all time--the one where Seinfeld was voted top show ever--Star Trek: TNG was the third highest-ranked sci-fi show with only Twilight Zone and X-Files ranking higher.

My favorite episode was "The Inner Light," where Picard is taken over by a probe and forced to live an entire alternate life entirely in his mind in just a few real-time hours on the planet of the people who created the probe. He goes through several years of trying to re-find his ship...then eventually accepts his situation and accepts a mate and has children...and in his extreme old age, which coincides with the gradual destruction of the planet where the probe originated, his family reveals to him what has actually happened to him. The probe was created to pass on this doomed planet's culture to other people by forcing those it takes over to live a life "in their shoes"; the concept of him having lived a lifetime of memories in just a few hours I found INCREDIBLY original and moving. EXCELLENT episode!!! cloud9.gif

As soon as I entered my earlier post, I realized I should have included All in the Family and MASH. Then I thought about it, and decided these two shows really embody what makes something a favorite and what doesn't. I used to love MASH, but for me it just doesn't show up to repeated viewings, especially the last 3 or 4 years of episodes. All in the Family does, however. The more I watch, the more I appreciate it. And, as I get older, the sentimental aspects of the show stand out more for me. It can actually be quite touching, once you get past the caricatures of both Archie and Mike (which I'm sure was not meant to be one).