• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book in your collection would be the last you sell off?

72 posts in this topic

I assume Borock must have had an irrational phobia of creases when he was collecting and ensured that this was incorporated into the undisclosed grading standards as developed by CGC.

Any pre-CGC person trying to grade that book as better than Fine + would have had a hard time being taken seriously. Borock did not invent the dislike for creases and as evidence you can look at any Price Guide or Overstreet Grading Guide for written evidence that would be hard to dispute.

Note: This is not to endorse all of CGC's grading standards, whether stated by them or inferred by examining the resulting grades.

I assume Borock must have had an irrational phobia of creases when he was collecting and ensured that this was incorporated into the undisclosed grading standards as developed by CGC.

Any pre-CGC person trying to grade that book as better than Fine + would have had a hard time being taken seriously. Borock did not invent the dislike for creases and as evidence you can look at any Price Guide or Overstreet Grading Guide for written evidence that would be hard to dispute.

Note: This is not to endorse all of CGC's grading standards, whether stated by them or inferred by examining the resulting grades.

I am not much of a fan of creases. But prior to the CGC I probably would have graded that book higher than a 6.5. It is impossible to tell the severity of the crease from the scan, mainly because the colors are so blindingly awesome. But from the looks of it, it would have been very hard call that a fine plus. The CGC has caused me to be tougher on non color breaking creases.

i think they're a little too tuff on creases.

i think they're way too tuff on loose cf's.

i think i can't think of a good word for how too much too tuff they are on little stains.

i think they're a little too tuff on creases.

i think they're way too tuff on loose cf's.

i think i can't think of a good word for how too much too tuff they are on little stains.

and not tough enough on tape and "a spot of glue".

I'd personally have a hard time giving any book with a 4"-long crease a grade above FN+. But I sure wouldn't have a problem asking a multiple of guide for a gorgeous specimen like the Hollywood Smoke Shop BB #52. It's a knockout!

In both the CGC and Overstreet systems, a book's grade is based almost exclusively on the absence/presence of structural defects, including creases, dimples/wrinkles, tears, foxing/soiling/staining, etc. Aesthetic features such as the freshness of the cover inks, intensity of the gloss, squareness, spine registration (or wrap), staple placement, etc. normally don't factor into the book's grade. In order to adequately account for a specimen's eye appeal, you'd probably have to adopt a two-grade system similar to that used for rhododendrons (1-5/1-5), where the first grade defines the quality of the flower, and the second grade defines the quality of the foliage and structure.

This one... because it looks 9.2 but a crease that barely breaks color brings it down to 6.5... I love the colors on it and it was the best book from all the gga books in the hollywood smoke shop collection, even nicer than the Phantom Lady 17. bb52frtop2nd.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous copy of BB #52 with almost glow in the dark colours that you have there! :cloud9:

Totally disagree with the Fine+ grade given to the book by CGC considering the sharp edges, beautiful colours, and otherwise flawless cover. They place far too much importance on creases, both colour breaking and non-colour breaking, at the expense of the overall visual appearance of the book.

I assume Borock must have had an irrational phobia of creases when he was collecting and ensured that this was incorporated into the undisclosed grading standards as developed by CGC. Either that, or it was part of CGG's original long-term business plan in terms of PCS and CGC resubmissions. hm

I can tell you that you that for the most part I agreed with Borocks grading, although I liked it a little better before the CGC when his grading was even stricter.

As far as the last statement, well you will be hard pressed to ever find anyone as honest and forthright as Steve, and I can give give dozens of comic and non-comic examples of his honesty and integrety.

Dwight