• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculative Predictions for Walking Dead keys?

130 posts in this topic

There's no simple answer to what works every time.

Read. Buy. Sell. Listen, but with a selective ear. Rinse and repeat.

Hopefully whatever mistakes you make won't play a part in crippling this hobby as much as the ones people have made in the past.

Weather the storms. Only hoard what you can afford.

Watch out for predators. See thru hype.

Make your own decisions and live or die by them.

In other words, no one who is really good at this is going to give you an answer and the people who DO give you an answer are a) speculating because they don't know either, and want to pretend they do or b) trying to hype something they've invested in themselves.

See the previous paragraph.

(worship)

If somebody asks me for $20 and I say, "Y'know, I earned this money, go make your own $20." and they look at me and say, "You didn't answer the question."...

I'd say, "Yes I did."

But in the interest of forum goodwill I'll say this:

Hopefully whatever mistakes you make won't play a part in crippling this hobby as much as the ones people have made in the past.

In other words, no one who is really good at this is going to give you an answer and the people who DO give you an answer are a) speculating because they don't know either, and want to pretend they do or b) trying to hype something they've invested in themselves.

It's like the guys on TV trying to sell you a way to 'Unlimited Riches'. It's what they are selling you that's making them rich. Anyone who knows how to make money doesn't go out and share that with anyone.

The best advice I can give anyone is to only buy what you truly enjoy and can afford. In that scenario you can't lose.

And IF my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. But she doesn't have balls, and my question wasn't even close to being along those lines.

I get that buying and selling comics as a commodity is Jon's sacred hallowed ground, but I'm a collector. This may come as a shock to you but I already earn my own living doing other things. On normal day I get up a 530 in the morning and I don't get home until after 5 pm. Yesterday I got up a 5 am and I didn't get home until about 7 PM.

I was looking for opinions and perspectives on the topic irrespective of someone's background or knowledge. Frankly, having more knowledge doesn't even mean your predictions will be any better.

There are some issues that will appear stronger then others.

Agreed,

This is the best advice when it comes to the Walking Dead.

People like JJ make money on this stuff and it's hard to do it if everyone else is doing it right? But, if you listen, people like JJ will drop misc pearls of wisdom. You just have to be listening and willing to accept and follow the advice...even if it's not something that goes over well with you.

Now as for the show, my fears is Kirkman chasing the Benjamin and loosing focus on the over all franchise. That and the writers destroying the TV show trying to include drama for a secondary market...AKA women viewers and changing things up enough to please TV fan boys who dislikes the fact that they actually love a show based on a comic book. The Walking Dead TV show could be Epic if not for that.

I also agree a lot of this feels a whole lot like the 90's all over again and swore off Moderns only buying Silver age keys. It's only recently that I started buying moderns again and only for the fun of it. My goals if anything is to read a good book and make a few extra dollars to support my art addiction.

If somebody asks me for $20 and I say, "Y'know, I earned this money, go make your own $20." and they look at me and say, "You didn't answer the question."...

I'd say, "Yes I did."

It's like the guys on TV trying to sell you a way to 'Unlimited Riches'. It's what they are selling you that's making them rich. Anyone who knows how to make money doesn't go out and share that with anyone.

The best advice I can give anyone is to only buy what you truly enjoy and can afford. In that scenario you can't lose.

And IF my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. But she doesn't have balls, and my question wasn't even close to being along those lines.

I get that buying and selling comics as a commodity is Jon's sacred hallowed ground, but I'm a collector. This may come as a shock to you but I already earn my own living doing other things. On normal day I get up a 530 in the morning and I don't get home until after 5 pm. Yesterday I got up a 5 am and I didn't get home until about 7 PM.

I was looking for opinions and perspectives on the topic irrespective of someone's background or knowledge. Frankly, having more knowledge doesn't even mean your predictions will be any better.

Right. Thus the sour comments regarding all of this mental masturbation in the endless onslaught of Walking Dead threads.

but the first issue of the WD is going to remain a $1000 book.
Nope, the hype is here (money to made) and it after 500+ 9.8's are graded...

Over 200 now. Halfway there now. :tonofbricks:

We will see a market "correction". Hopefully it holds at $250 for the investors. . :wishluck:

On normal day I get up a 530 in the morning and I don't get home until after 5 pm. Yesterday I got up a 5 am and I didn't get home until about 7 PM.

You can sign me up for that job any day. I'm generally headed to work by 4am and want get off until about 12am. There are times I work 30-40hrs straight. I can remember times where I got home with enough time to take a shower and head back to work.

You just gotta love the oil field lol

I'd say, "Yes I did."

Right. Thus the sour comments regarding all of this mental masturbation in the endless onslaught of Walking Dead threads.

Right? Well which is it?

"no one who is really good at this is going to give you an answer and the people who DO give you an answer are a) speculating because they don't know either "

So first those people with lots of knowledge can predict the future of Walking Dead to the point that they're not even speculating. Now you say I'm right when I say having more knowledge doesn't mean your predictions are correct.

I already apologized in the beginning of the thread to all of those who were forced to click on it and respond.

On normal day I get up a 530 in the morning and I don't get home until after 5 pm. Yesterday I got up a 5 am and I didn't get home until about 7 PM.

You can sign me up for that job any day. I'm generally headed to work by 4am and want get off until about 12am. There are times I work 30-40hrs straight. I can remember times where I got home with enough time to take a shower and head back to work.

You just gotta love the oil field lol

http://www.goarmy.com/

I'm here for you, buddy. ;)

We will see a market "correction". Hopefully it holds at $250 for the investors. . :wishluck:

Do you really think there will be in excess of 500 9.8 copies CGC graded on such a low print run?

Can't blame you for simply soliciting an opinion.

For the folks complaining about 'yet another (insert) thread', why not just move on to the next thread?

I guess I prefer some redundancy to the times where there is a scarcity of threads to read.

I think there are some people who do offer words of wisdom here but I think you need to view some of the stuff in modern as fluff - when I see someone say they are looking for a specific semi-hot modern, they might as well announce that they have achieved their desired inventory level, they'll likely splash the pot with a few public buys but by that time they are already selling through the spike. It's a strategy used in any market that relies only on sales history to determine value.

It's the same cynical approach I take when scanning a "hard to find copper or toughest bronze in 9.8" thread...some people are genuinely discussing a topic some are issuing press releases.

Lots of hype here that's why it's best to just buy what you like.

I'd say, "Yes I did."

Right? Well which is it?

"no one who is really good at this is going to give you an answer and the people who DO give you an answer are a) speculating because they don't know either "

So first those people with lots of knowledge can predict the future of Walking Dead to the point that they're not even speculating. Now you say I'm right when I say having more knowledge doesn't mean your predictions are correct.

I already apologized in the beginning of the thread to all of those who were forced to click on it and respond.

Both.

Do you really think there will be in excess of 500 9.8 copies CGC graded on such a low print run?

Yup. Large print runs isn't the thing that helps "realize" huge census numbers of a grade, a nice profit might help press the issue for some guys to get that 9.8 grade too.

Enjoy it while it lasts folks. Everytime someone talks about buying, winning or selling these books, the money hairs on the back of people's necks stand and go "Woo Woo Woo" and want in on the action too. There will be enough of these to go around soon and we will look back at these prices realized in these times and say "Why didn't I start out at the ground floor of a title?" or "Why didn't I just buy the one of a kind OA instead?".

I think the TMNT comparisons are a poor one. Eastman and Laird essentially abandoned the series by issue 11, concentrating on the cartoon and toy line. WD has eight years worth of comic lore behind it - the series was doing fine before the show, and will do find once the show is over.

Yup. Large print runs isn't the thing that helps "realize" huge census numbers of a grade, a nice profit might help press the issue for some guys to get that 9.8 grade too.

Enjoy it while it lasts folks. Everytime someone talks about buying, winning or selling these books, the money hairs on the back of people's necks stand and go "Woo Woo Woo" and want in on the action too. There will be enough of these to go around soon and we will look back at these prices realized in these times and say "Why didn't I start out at the ground floor of a title?" or "Why didn't I just buy the one of a kind OA instead?".

No offense but ever since you seemed to have lost all enjoyment in collecting Locke and Key graded comics and you dumped your collection you have been pretty much debbie downer when it comes to anything modern holding any value it seems.

I am willing to bet if you focused all the time, money and effort into The Walking Dead instead of Locke and Key you would be singing a different song and not bashing The Walking Dead.

Just sayin....