• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Golden Age book - Captain America Comics #9 CGC 1.8

17 posts in this topic

Hello!

This is a part of the forums I do not venture into often because my interests never really took me here. This year I had decided that I would add a Golden Age comic book from Captain America to my collection.

I had created a "WTB" thread

Hello folks

This year one of my collecting goals is to obtain a Golden Age Captain America comic for my collection. I'm looking for pretty much any issue from #1944 or before.

Some other criteria that would pique my interests are:

- some form of a war cover, or classic cover

- Bucky also being featured on the cover

- if I am able to get the book signed for signature series (a Stan Lee or other creator credit)

I am going to limit myself to spending a maximum of $800 + shipping.

My last largest comic purchase was an Avengers #4 a few years ago for around $500. Being that, I'm not sure if such a high dollar amount would change anything in regards to a seller's preferred method of payment, but I would prefer to pay via Paypal and shipping must be to Canada.

Thanks for the help!

It had quite a few views but no luck.

Then within a few days, I spotted a book on ebay that seemed pretty awesome to me! To be completely honest, I don't know if I overpaid for the book, but it does now represent the most money I've ever invested into a comic. I'm pretty excited to have it now in my possession, and me being the Signature Series fan that I am, I intend on having Stan Lee sign it since he is credited to the book on the label.

Here is my new book!

CaptainAmericaComics9CGC18-1.jpg

One thing I am looking forward to doing is taking a nice big whiff of the smell and look of the interior of the book when I crack it to have signed. I do have the hardcover that contains 1-10, so I am able to read the contents of the book beforehand.

Can anyone tell me more about the "slightlt brittle" pages designation?

The book presents well, and items like tape and slightly brittle pages bother some more than others.

As long as you are comfortable with the book, then congratulations are in order (and welcome to Gold). :applause:

That is one nice looking book! :applause:

I love that cover and I think somewhere I have a fanzine interview with Joe Simon where he's showing an oversized acrylic recreation of it.

I like the SS as well but I'd be almost afraid of a 'Stan' signature and placement on such a nice book! :eek:

As for price, I think you did pretty well.

Congratulations Raphael! Who cares what the price of the book was? You got what you wanted, and that is all that is important. One sweet book like this ... you're toast, dude. Welcome to GA! I agree with Hibou about Stan's signature. I've gotten quite a few books with Stan's signature; only one being a GA (and only because he wrote the story). Personally, I won't do it again.

Awesome book! I love the cover!

I would steer clear of getting that book signed. Stan is usually pretty bad with signature placement. Maybe a cheaper book with a lot of empty space would be a better choice.

thanks for all the input guys!

I'm certainly very happy with the book. I totally here what you're all saying about having it signed.

I was looking at the book, and I think a good spot for Stan's sig is right under Cap's right foot.

Most people get hooked with one book.

Congrats!

what are the odds--cap 9 the first g.a. comic for both the op and myself. well done, sir, and may you have as much fun down this road as I have.

Very cool book. Not bad for your first GA book. And $800 doesn't seem to much to me. I'd drop 8 bills on that book.

Luckily, I was able to spend less then that! woo woo woo

As long as you are comfortable with the book, then congratulations are in order (and welcome to Gold). :applause:

I second that (thumbs u