• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever sold your COMICS for LOVE?

43 posts in this topic

No, I'm not talkin' about payin' a professional with funny books instead of cash. foreheadslap.gif

What I'm talking about is have you ever sold your comic books in order to come up with cash in order to take out the ladies, buy your wife or girlfriend a present, or even a wedding ring? Was there ever a point in time where having money to spend on girls prevented you from spending money on comics?

My own little story is that starting from about age ten up to seventeen I had amassed a pretty decent collection for a kid including high grade copies of Daredevil #1, Conan #1 and Silver Surfer #1 as well as hundreds of other nice books. Although I never lost interest in comics, I then started to focus on girls and needed cash to take them out and etc. I started off slowly and ended up selling even my very last book. I was comicless. frown.gif But I did have some cash. It wasn't for about three or four years later when I had a job and was able to balance both comics and girls before I started buying my funny books again. Dang, if I had never taken that break and liquidated I would have a much nicer collection than now.

Any of you ever sell some comics for love?

-----Sid

What I'm talking about is have you ever sold your comic books in order to come up with cash in order to take out the ladies, buy your wife or girlfriend a present, or even a wedding ring? Was there ever a point in time where having money to spend on girls prevented you from spending money on comics?

Yes

Jim

been married for 15 years, I have sold many things for love...not for love...AFTER love wink.gif Women will make you do some crazy stuff. Selling comics to have cash for your woman is cool...selling comics for cash to GIVE to your woman sucks.

Most notably two cars I had restored, I had 5 and she just got fed up and person_without_enough_empathyed till I sold two. I want to get a 63 - 67 Corvette now but I have to sell one of the cars I have before she'll let me.

Never comics though, probably becasue my whole 350 comic collection fits in three boxes. If it took up more room, there is no doubt she'd start person_without_enough_empathyin'.

The moral of the story is this, the money you earned by selling your comics will land you the girl of your dreams....who will eventually make you sell your comics anyways...so you were better off selling them first to get her...

if that made any sense wink.gif

The closest I've gotten is selling off a few 35-cent variants last year, in order to buy a set of 70-71 OPC hockey cards for a relative.

Otherwise, I just keep what I buy.

No. My wife had to put up with comic boxes everywhere before I got an office, but there was no question of me liquidating them.

And despite never having much money in my teens, I can't recall ever selling any of my collection. In fact I still have my original collection from that era (late 70s / early 80s). Nothing great though - mostly pence copies.

Sold some comics for the love of buying better comics.

No seriously, I pawned some comics and got really ripped just so I could have some

fun with my High School girl at King Dominian a Amusement Park in VA.

It was a trip that was provided by the church she went to

and I didn't know anybody other than her - with that in mind as soon as we got to the park

lord knows why she dumped me!! I spent the worst time of my life there ambrassed and alone, you could of lit a match on top of my head I was so hot.

This happened in the summer between my Junior/Senior year and at that was a time when I was a little chunky, I decided to take my anger and use it as a positive note to lose weight and tone up.Going into the Senior year was the best for me, I was in super shape and all the girls wanted my number... I finally saw that girl named "Belle" that F'ked me over that horrible day and at the time she had one of the worst hair perms I have ever seen on a woman to this date and from that her poplarity was sliding. She begged me crying and screaming and grabbing onto my leg to take her back that day in the lunch hall with everybody watching. I told her as a final note to kiss my asss while I trodded of with another hot babe... That was the best revenge ever!! Only a few months ago I she made me a total dope then I turned the tables and made her look a total buttwentch in front of the whole school... Awesome!!! thumbsup2.gifboo.gif

Can't says I have. My wife isn't exactly thrilled with the comic boxes &c everywhere, but she is reasonably supportive of my hobby. I don't recall that I've ever had a girlfriend that has demanded I get rid of them.

My own little story is that starting from about age ten up to seventeen I had amassed a pretty decent collection for a kid including high grade copies of Daredevil #1, Conan #1 and Silver Surfer #1 as well as hundreds of other nice books. Although I never lost interest in comics, I then started to focus on girls and needed cash to take them out and etc. I started off slowly and ended up selling even my very last book. I was comicless. frown.gif But I did have some cash. It wasn't for about three or four years later when I had a job and was able to balance both comics and girls before I started buying my funny books again. Dang, if I had never taken that break and liquidated I would have a much nicer collection than now.

Does this ever sound familiar....

FF 12-200 plus annuals/giants, Avengers about the same run, Cap 100-200, Silver Surfer 1-18, Marvel Two-In-One 1-50, yada, yada, yada...

All gone in an attempt to make me more palatable to the ladies (i.e. one less geeky attribute and a little more green).

Sadly, it didn't help.

If I'd known that my wife-to-be was as non-trendy as I (she was smitten by the fact that I brought her an extensive collection of mushrooms from my folks' farm to complete her biology project rather than shelling out for flowers), I would still have that collection and not be trying so hard to get bits and pieces of today.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

been married for 15 years, I have sold many things for love...not for love...AFTER love wink.gif Women will make you do some crazy stuff. Selling comics to have cash for your woman is cool...selling comics for cash to GIVE to your woman sucks.

Most notably two cars I had restored, I had 5 and she just got fed up and person_without_enough_empathyed till I sold two. I want to get a 63 - 67 Corvette now but I have to sell one of the cars I have before she'll let me.

Never comics though, probably becasue my whole 350 comic collection fits in three boxes. If it took up more room, there is no doubt she'd start person_without_enough_empathyin'.

The moral of the story is this, the money you earned by selling your comics will land you the girl of your dreams....who will eventually make you sell your comics anyways...so you were better off selling them first to get her...

if that made any sense wink.gif

893frustrated.gif I passed on a 69 GTO convertible in cherry shape because my girlfriend threw a fit that I wasn't spending the money on a ring. Then she cheated on me 893censored-thumb.gif

I think of that every time I see a GTO. But I really want a '67, so I guess it will work out in the future confused.gif.

For Love, Sure

1st mass comic sell paid for my honeymoon(bye, bye quality bronze) - definitely a good deal wink.gif

2nd mass sell paid for the birth of 1st child(bye, bye modern keys), actually had a good job by the time the 2nd one came around. - deal was okay until she recently became a teenager. 893frustrated.gif

Now I'm picking the quality bronze back up...and the little woman don't see no love in that 893whatthe.gif

also see magazine forum for recent post about TMNT #1

Me, personally? More times than I can count...

You would not believe the number of stories shop owners hear from people who sold off their collections...

Beyond the random people who all claim they used to own the first Superman comic, I've probably heard 500 stories of people who parted with their collections to pay for something else. I tell them all the same thing. Selling your collecting isn't necessarily a bad idea (no matter how much it may be worth later). It's what you spent the money on...

One guy told me of selling his run of AF15 thru ASM 70 to a book dealer in 1972 for $50. He spent the money on the tuition for his last year of college. Without that money he probably would have had to drop out and might have gone to Vietnam. He's now successful enough to buy those books back any time he wants...

Another guy told me of selling his FFs from 2 thru 120 in pretty nice shape in the early 80s, and how much he wished he hadn't. I asked him what he spent the money on, and the only thing he could come up with was beer. foreheadslap.gif

But I have heard plenty of stories of guys who sold their collections to buy rings, and the vast majority of them were still together. Now it's possible there is some sampling bias there, and the guys who broke up never want to see another comic shop as long as they live. Who knows? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One of the coolest stories I witnessed was a girl in her late teens who sold off her complete collection of Strangers In Paradise to buy a ring for her girlfriend. Both of them shopped in my store, and I kept the SIP run behind the counter, while over the course of two months, the girlfriend bought all the books back so she could give them back to her as a gift.

That earned a chorus of "awwwwww"s from my female employees... thumbsup2.gif

well, i'm finally preparing to grade and sell a number of books so i can buy a new computer. since i do love myself and hate the second hand pieces of garbage that i've been stuck with my own life, i think that counts. my wife has agreed that she would use the computer more if it was reliable, so that might count as well, since it is involving another person...okay, it's a stretch but it's all i got.

Now I'm picking the quality bronze back up...and the little woman don't see no love in that

That's because she thought you were going to get those out of the house for good!! grin.gif

Sold three books. Bought Mrs. Donut a car. Mrs. Donut no longer complains about comics.

yeah, comics never seem as dopey when you sell them and buy some magnamous present for your significant other.

Especially when you sell like (above) two or three books and come up with a really nice something or other.

I've done it (but not a car) and I can also agree, the complaints about comics suddenly come to an abrupt end.

Of course... it also makes you realize how much money is tied up in paper sitting in boxes in my room.