• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are The Top 5 Toughest Silver Age Registry Sets To Put Together?

26 posts in this topic

I think it really depends on what grade were talking about. Very few silver sets are difficult to put together in low-grade.

Good point. Let's keep it restricted to HG CGC copies....

I think it really depends on what grade were talking about. Very few silver sets are difficult to put together in low-grade.

Oh, wow. Well, overall registry numbers for hero titles would point to Journey Into Mystery probably. But money-wise, Spidey brings way more money for high-grade copies. So, I guess this has to be quantified again, what defines "tough"? expense or census numbers?

Oh, wow. Well, overall registry numbers for hero titles would point to Journey Into Mystery probably. But money-wise, Spidey brings way more money for high-grade copies. So, I guess this has to be quantified again, what defines "tough"? expense or census numbers?

Marvel titles should not be part of this conversation unless you're talking about $. i take this back, Incredible Hulk looks like it could be part of this conversation given there's only 1 9.4 copy.

Definitely census numbers ... Highest or Second highest certified issues for each book in the set. Some sets (like ASM or Avengers), with enough capital could be put together overnight...

Good point. Let's keep it restricted to high grade CGC copies....

I nominate Action Comics and Batman, and many other DC sets. Not many HG copies to complete sets. And good luck finding HG copies of 10 centers like Action Comics 242 and Batman 121. I'd guess there are less than 20 CGC copies of those over 8.0.

Marvel titles should not be part of this conversation unless you're talking about $. i take this back, Incredible Hulk looks like it could be part of this conversation given there's only 1 9.4 copy.

Yup, Hulk #1-6 would be really tough to build in highest or even second highest grade...

And good luck finding HG copies of 10 centers like Action Comics 242 and Batman 121. I'd guess there are less than 20 CGC copies of those over 8.0.

As for Action 242 there are only two, both 8.5.

For Batman 121 the are two 8.5, and two 9.2.

And good luck finding HG copies of 10 centers like Action Comics 242 and Batman 121. I'd guess there are less than 20 CGC copies of those over 8.0.

As for Action 242 there are only two, both 8.5.

For Batman 121 the are two 8.5, and two 9.2.

Wow even rarer than I thought.

Congo Bill, The New Adventures of Charlie Chan, Challengers of the Unknown, Amazing Adventures, Yellow Claw, Strange Worlds, Brave and the Bold (pre hero), Showcase, Lois Lane, Mystery in Space (Adam Strange), and Wonder Woman ( 105 up), would all be very challenging to produce 9.0 or better runs....a couple would be impossible. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Technically Atom Age, but anyway;

Phantom Stranger Vol. 1

Issue - Highest grades (number of copies)

1 - 9.4 (1), 8.0 (1)

2 - 9.2 (1), 9.0 (1)

3 - 9.0 (1), 8.5 (1)

4 - 8.0 (1)

5 - 7.0 (1)

6 - 9.0 (1), 8.0 (1)

Phantom Stranger Vol. 1

1 - 9.4 (1), 8.0 (1)

2 - 9.2 (1), 9.0 (1)

3 - 9.0 (1), 8.5 (1)

4 - 8.0 (1)

5 - 7.0 (1)

6 - 9.0 (1), 8.0 (1)

I love that title and the six book run. I've never tried to put it together CGC graded but I bought a beautiful run in the early 90s from Joe Vereneault. They remain ungraded.

Phantom Stranger Vol. 1

1 - 9.4 (1), 8.0 (1)

2 - 9.2 (1), 9.0 (1)

3 - 9.0 (1), 8.5 (1)

4 - 8.0 (1)

5 - 7.0 (1)

6 - 9.0 (1), 8.0 (1)

I love that title and the six book run. I've never tried to put it together CGC graded but I bought a beautiful run in the early 90s from Joe Vereneault. They remain ungraded.

There are probably more than a few HG runs of this title still ungraded. I know adamstrange has most of them - if not all - in HG, and there are more than a couple Pedigrees that could fit the bill as well

Phantom Stranger Vol. 1

1 - 9.4 (1), 8.0 (1)

2 - 9.2 (1), 9.0 (1)

3 - 9.0 (1), 8.5 (1)

4 - 8.0 (1)

5 - 7.0 (1)

6 - 9.0 (1), 8.0 (1)

There are probably more than a few HG runs of this title still ungraded. I know adamstrange has most of them - if not all - in HG, and there are more than a couple Pedigrees that could fit the bill as well

:gossip: This would be news to adamstrange