• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you want your brain to implode and make you feebleminded...then

55 posts in this topic

Nice.... does anyone think that the estimated size of the universe is really as small as we think it is, even at 10 log27?
I was thinking similar thoughts. How do you estimate size of something you know so little about? What is the basis for the estimation? Probably more realistic to just say "we have no clue the size"

Nice.... does anyone think that the estimated size of the universe is really as small as we think it is, even at 10 log27?
I was thinking similar thoughts. How do you estimate size of something you know so little about? What is the basis for the estimation? Probably more realistic to just say "we have no clue the size"

Er, no. It's estimable from the duration since the big bang and the observed and inferred expansion rate of the universe. There are uncertainties, of course, not least of which is the nature and duration of any inflationary period that occurred - but it's not 'no clue'.

Thanks to the OP - that site is wonderful!

Er, no. It's estimable from the duration since the big bang and the observed and inferred expansion rate of the universe. There are uncertainties, of course, not least of which is the nature and duration of any inflationary period that occurred - but it's not 'no clue'.

Thanks to the OP - that site is wonderful!

I agree. It's a great site!

I only wish the site used HTML5, then I could actually see what everyone's talking about. lol

go to this site

http://htwins.net/scale2/

Love it. When I was much younger my dad spoke of a film he had seen called the power of 10. They would zoom out by factors of 10 and then zoom in to the start and then continue on until you passed the atoms electrons etc until it looked like you were back out in space. Some crazy stuff. Thankyou for posting it.

When I was much younger my dad spoke of a film he had seen called the power of 10. They would zoom out by factors of 10 and then zoom in to the start and then continue on until you passed the atoms electrons etc until it looked like you were back out in space. Some crazy stuff. Thankyou for posting it.

That's an excellent film.  Saw it at school, in the 70s.

go to this site

http://htwins.net/scale2/

That is way cool! Thanks for the link!

We understand so much more about the nature of reality, than we did just a few short years ago. The universe just gets larger and larger the further technology advances. The microscopic world seems to follow suit in many ways.

Microverse/Macroverse theory is compelling and seems to be a real possibility. , But as our understanding of the Universe expands, we begin to realize how little we truly know. All preconceived notions of what is and is not possible, in my mind should be thrown out the window when you consider our insignifacance, compared to the universe, and our infintesimal understanding of reality.

We dont even understand ourselves, why we are here, were we are going.

How can we even hope to ever truly understand what is out there?

My chance to post a favorite concept: Pascalian terror. I've suffered with a horrible dread of the infinite since childhood.

hm

When I learned my dread had a name, it helped me deal with it a little. I recall being really excited when I encountered the expression in high school. French people rock.