• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

92 posts in this topic

You've got some cracked CGC books that you want to sell raw. Certs are still with the books. You grade them and you don't agree with the CGC grades on some of them.

When you sell them, what grade do you use?

What information do you give when you sell them?

How do you figure out what a fair market price would be?

(shrug)

1. Use your grade

2. "This book will probably get a 8.5 (example number) if submitted to CGC, it did before."

3. Use the raw value for sales.

Why grade them at all?

Price them and let the prospective buyer do his own grading.

As long as you are not trying to pass off former purple label books, I don't think the fact that it was once graded something by CGC matters if you are not assigning any grade to it.

Why would you do this? I can think of only two reasons. 1) You are someone who doesn't know how to grade and you are hoping to maximize your profit in spite of your ignorance. 2) You do know how to grade and you are hoping to maximize your profit based on someone else's ignorance.

if the seller knows how to grade and prices according to their grade, how is that profiting off of someone's ignorance? it would just prevent haggling over a 9.2 vs 9.0. and as everyone always says: "buy the book, not the grade". so what's the big ethical issue over letting people do just that?

but overall, Im saying that CGCs 9.4 is of greater value to me than YOUR 9.0 grade.

Then if Nick had a comic in a 9.4 slab that he felt should be a 9.0, you wouldn't care that he sold it as a 9.4 with out mentioning his opinion?

Buying for my collection, Nicks grading would be of greater value to me than CGC's.

Sharon mentioned this above as well, that Nick's grading is of greater value, and I agree with both of you - I would want to know his opinion. I treasure his honesty.

I'll take Nick's grading over CGC any day of the week.

I bought a #227 off a dealer as a 9.0, it came back from CGC as a 8.0, I sold it to someone who cracked it out. I bought it back as they were in a tight spot and needed the money, I then sold it on via Nick at a lesser grade then what CGC graded it at. The buyer sent it into CGC who now graded it at 8.5.

Its a merry-go-round.

Thanks to everybody for their input...constructive, civil and interesting. :applause:

For those who asked, the books in question have all been lowered from CGC's assigned grade. Some by a point, some by three points, and my intention will be to sell at my grade, but mention the previous evaluation and include the label.

However, this does raise the other issue worth discussing...

I'll be pricing at a level appropriate to my grade, but I know that, for the price of a grading fee, some buyers will make hay by resubmitting. This is clearly a fair deal for the buyer, but is it a fair deal for the seller? hm

Thanks to everybody for their input...constructive, civil and interesting. :applause:

For those who asked, the books in question have all been lowered from CGC's assigned grade. Some by a point, some by three points, and my intention will be to sell at my grade, but mention the previous evaluation and include the label.

I'll be pricing at a level appropriate to my grade, but I know that, for the price of a grading fee, some buyers will make hay by resubmitting. This is clearly a fair deal for the buyer, but is it a fair deal for the seller? hm

These discussions always bring responses to ensure fair play for the buyer but fair play for the seller often gets overlooked.

This is clearly a fair deal for the buyer, but is it a fair deal for the seller? hm

Your good rep can only grow because of things like this Nick.

So where you may lose a bit on one deal, you may win in the long run with new customers and repeat business.

just resub THEN sell 'em (shrug)

This is clearly a fair deal for the buyer, but is it a fair deal for the seller? hm

So where you may lose a bit on one deal, you may win in the long run with new customers and repeat business.

I wish we could all just agree that CGC can be over or under, and that just because you disagree with their assigned grade, doesn't necessarily make you a crook.

I wish we could all just agree that CGC can be over or under, and that just because you disagree with their assigned grade, doesn't necessarily make you a crook.

Yup, I agree with you and your post. CGC are great but are not the be all end all.

CGC are great but are not the be all end all.

True - and CGC's reputation is wavering with way too many recent examples of soft grading and/or poor quality control.

In time, this issue may become even more prominent - I too would take Nick's grading over CGC's grading any day of the week.

You aren't a crook unless your raw grade is higher.

Why grade them at all?

Price them and let the prospective buyer do his own grading.

As long as you are not trying to pass off former purple label books, I don't think the fact that it was once graded something by CGC matters if you are not assigning any grade to it.

Why would you do this? I can think of only two reasons. 1) You are someone who doesn't know how to grade and you are hoping to maximize your profit in spite of your ignorance. 2) You do know how to grade and you are hoping to maximize your profit based on someone else's ignorance.

if the seller knows how to grade and prices according to their grade, how is that profiting off of someone's ignorance? it would just prevent haggling over a 9.2 vs 9.0. and as everyone always says: "buy the book, not the grade". so what's the big ethical issue over letting people do just that?

I see your statement, but that isn't what was being discussed. "Buy the book, not the grade" is fine unless Stevie Wonder did the grading and expects you to pay his asking price.

My opinion boils down to this, I don't think it's unethical to sell a cracked out of slab comic at a raw grade that is honestly assigned by the seller whether it be higher or lower but the previous CGC grade should be disclosed however good or bad the sellers opinion of the grade because it may be information that the seller would want. Obviously some sellers have a habit of cracking slabs and adding to the grade regardless and that is wrong but sellers of raw books will soon gain a reputation regarding their grading, good or bad and their return trade will be affected by it.

Regarding comics still in slabs, they are sold as CGC graded at that grade and selling at that grade is fine but I think that at some point the seller is morally obliged to say that they think the book is overgraded. The question is, where is the point where you go from thinking "it's within the bounds of subjectivity" to "this book had a significant gift grade"?

You've got some cracked CGC books that you want to sell raw. Certs are still with the books. You grade them and you don't agree with the CGC grades on some of them.

When you sell them, what grade do you use?

What information do you give when you sell them?

How do you figure out what a fair market price would be?

(shrug)

I'm not an expert grader, or even a good one really, so I'd sell it according to what CGC graded it as. Of course I'd only ask raw prices. But my only CGC comic I own was bought for about the same price I paid for the raw copies as well, so I'd sell it as if it was the same as them, just with a CGC label in the bag.

If I were a trusted seller and expert grader I'd give my opinion of what the comic was and disclose that it had been graded by CGC and list their grade as well.

I think it's a hard sell for those who are not trusted sellers to do this, and there is a lot of room for less ethical types to take advantage of this. Then again, nothing stopping them from just not disclosing that it had ever been slabbed either. I think either way if you disclose the CGC grade you're on the right track no matter what your asking price is.

You aren't a crook unless your raw grade is higher.

And why is that? CGC is over or under......, often. But you need to crack some slabs to really verify that.

This question is always like one I don't have to deal with

Your WIFE to you: "Does this dress make me look fat?"

There is no good answer to the questin it is a T R A P.....