• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

92 posts in this topic

It's a tough call, but to answer the question, I'd put myself in the buyers seat. If I were buying such a book I would prefer it stays graded. It is just that much easier to resell in a pinch than a raw copy. There is also the possibility that the buyer may prefer the book already CGC'd to avoid costs to have it graded themselves. Might not be a big deal for a buyer in the U.S., but for a Canadian or UK buyer, it might make all the difference. 2c

It's a tough call, but to answer the question, I'd put myself in the buyers seat. If I were buying such a book I would prefer it stays graded. It is just that much easier to resell in a pinch than a raw copy. There is also the possibility that the buyer may prefer the book already CGC'd to avoid costs to have it graded themselves. Might not be a big deal for a buyer in the U.S., but for a Canadian or UK buyer, it might make all the difference. 2c

That wasn't an available option, please try again. :popcorn:

That wasn't an available option, please try again. :popcorn:

Just saying. I know its Nick here, but generally the label floating in a mylar or comic bag doesn't carry any value as a grading opinion unless the book is still encased.

You've got some cracked CGC books that you want to sell raw. Certs are still with the books. You grade them and you don't agree with the CGC grades on some of them.

When you sell them, what grade do you use?

What information do you give when you sell them?

How do you figure out what a fair market price would be?

(shrug)

Take pictures of them BEFORE they are removed from the cracked cases. That way there's no doubt that the CGC grades are for those comics (especially helpful if the comics have visible flaws that can be seen while inside the cases). Based on your message, it sounds like you already cracked them, but do you have photos from before? That way you can credibly cite the CGC grade, even though you disagree with it. And of course give good reasons for your disagreement, and let the buyer make up his own mind from there.

As for fair market price, most people here will cite GPAnalysis, which indicates previous sale prices. Also you can look up sale prices in previous Heritage auctions. Previous auction prices aren't always going to be prices you can get when you sell (especially without certification), and if you want a quicker sale you might lower the price since Heritage prices were realized under ideal conditions of high visibility, competitive bidding, etc. Just my two cents!

That way you can credibly cite the CGC grade, even though you disagree with it. And of course give good reasons for your disagreement, and let the buyer make up his own mind from there.

So when I'm selling a CGC 9.4 as my 9.0, I have to give comprehensive reasons? :eek:

That's going to take some of the fun out of it. :censored:

OK, that was slightly facetious, but I'm actually downgrading on all the ones I disagree with, some of them significantly so.

And that makes me wonder...

If you're a trusted, experienced grader, people will take your 9.0 (that used to be a CGC 9.4) without any question.

But as a trusted, experienced grader, would you have to go into full detail if you were calling it a 9.6? (shrug)

This question is always like one I don't have to deal with

Your WIFE to you: "Does this dress make me look fat?"

There is no good answer to the questin it is a T R A P.....

Yeah, been there dude. :facepalm:

That way you can credibly cite the CGC grade, even though you disagree with it. And of course give good reasons for your disagreement, and let the buyer make up his own mind from there.

So when I'm selling a CGC 9.4 as my 9.0, I have to give comprehensive reasons? :eek:

That's going to take some of the fun out of it. :censored:

OK, that was slightly facetious, but I'm actually downgrading on all the ones I disagree with, some of them significantly so.

And that makes me wonder...

If you're a trusted, experienced grader, people will take your 9.0 (that used to be a CGC 9.4) without any question.

But as a trusted, experienced grader, would you have to go into full detail if you were calling it a 9.6? (shrug)

I have been collecting comics for 40 years but I cant really tell the difference between a 9.4 and a 9.6

You would have to go into more than full detail if you cracked out a CGC 9.4 and posted it for sale as a raw 9.6. I believe folks have ended up on the probation list for doing just that.

I did not know this. There must be more than a disagreement over a grade. hm

You would have to go into more than full detail if you cracked out a CGC 9.4 and posted it for sale as a raw 9.6. I believe folks have ended up on the probation list for doing just that.

I did not know this. There must be more than a disagreement over a grade. hm

Yeah - I call BS, Watson.

Isn't that what Frankenshark got everyone worked up about?
Yes........, but then there was his reaction...., which I think was more of a banning :eek: I don't recall all the details.

He didn't reveal that it had been previously slabbed, which was where the problems started.

So?

I know he's a turd and his reaction did play a large part in the entire scenario. However, to continue with your train of thought, why is a seller lauded for cracking a slab and selling the book at a lower grade if they feel CGC over graded the book while on the flip side they are dishonest and greedy if they feel CGC under graded the book and list it at a higher grade?

I know he's a turd and his reaction did play a large part in the entire scenario. However, to continue with your train of thought, why is a seller lauded for cracking a slab and selling the book at a lower grade if they feel CGC over graded the book while on the flip side they are dishonest and greedy if they feel CGC under graded the book and list it at a higher grade?

He does have a point.

He didn't reveal that it had been previously slabbed, which was where the problems started.

So?

I think you'll find I was asking that same question a page or so back. :makepoint:

So?

I would never feel like someone was greedy or dishonest, as long as they disclosed what the old CGC grade was and what their new grade was. It is then up to me to assess whether i have any confidence in that person's opinion or not, and it also will be helpful for me to be able to see the book myself to assess it on my own.

I bought a book from Bronzebruce once that he had submitted twice and received a 9.6 both times. He sold it to me at 9.6 GPA and told me it was a dead bang 9.8. I got it signed and it came back 9.8. Sometimes it takes CGC a couple of whacks to get it right.

So?

I think you'll find I was asking that same question a page or so back. :makepoint:

If only someone with message board clout would post an answer. (shrug)