• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors of baseball cards striking out

802 posts in this topic

A former employee of mine now in his 70's has what is thought to be a massive amount of cards from the 40's-70's in bins. Doubles, triples, quads, etc....He just bought and bought. Anyway, one of my supervisors is his brother in law and he's been trying to get him to at least think about selling it off as he no longer collects, they're just sitting in the basement and he has no children to pass them along to. A quick glance a few years back by the brother in law said he opened a single bin and the top layers were all early 60's with a couple of Mantle's sitting right on top.

So in my head I'm thinking maybe he's got 5,000-10,000 cards possibly with a mind-boggling amount of keys. (shrug)

Anyway, in the next week or two we're supposed to take receipt of one of the bins to go through and appraise. Suffice to say I am chomping at the bit for this.

91 Topps Stadium Club was a beautiful set...

I remember the early 90's when Upper Deck and Leaf started out with glossy cards and fancy hologram foils on the back. I thought those cards were so cool. Now I look at them and think meh

I also remember the price of packs and thinking 'how much?!?' lol

Guess i didn't foresee the coming of Exquisite etc. :grin:

Yep, they were going from .60c a pack to like $1.50 a pack.

I remember 89 UD being $1.50 a pack and think :whatthe:

No doubt. Wasn't it like 5 years ago that UD was selling those NBA cards in the velvet box for like $300 a pack. I believe you got 3 cards in said pack. doh!

What's the best way to store cards? All of mine from when I was a kid are in 9 pocket binder pages. I was wondering if it would be better to take them out and put them in card storage boxes.

In somebody else's house. lol

All kidding aside, I gave away about 10,000 cards a few years back. It was essentially all common junk. Even the "stars" were common junk. Think late 80's-mid 90's. It was actually quite liberating to just give it all away, especially considering it was relatively worthless.

I guess storage would depend on what you want to do with them. If you like looking at them, leave them in the binders. If storage is an issue, perhaps boxes would be more accommodating.

The only cards I have now are PSA graded.

The only cards I have now are PSA graded.

I'm thinking of going this route. I never tried to collect full teams or whatnot, I mainly collected certain players.

Most of what I have is late 80's/90's drek. Are there any cards worth keeping from this period? I have a topps chipper jones rookie,donruss dave justice rookie, and some other rookies from the Braves. Any of these worth anything?

Ivebgot mine in semi-rigid sleeves in a wood box

Where in nc are you at?

Whiteville. Down in the southeast near Wilmington and Myrtle Beach.

Yep, in 1999 Whiteville beat West Caldwell (where I coach FB and Wrestling) in the State BB finals.

:hi:

Drive by and through Whiteville on our way to Sunset Beach.

Anyone else see that awesome 'Auction Kings' episode where the guy auctions off a whole pallet of sports cards for less than $1,000 (I can't remember the exact amount, I just know it was well less than $1,000). I kept thinking back to the early 1990's. I am sure if the buyer actually took the time to sort through them he would make a profit; assuming he didn't count his time spent sorting the stuff! It was massive and had to be shrinkwrapped to be taken out on stage and transported. That is a great show though, and I highly recommend it. It is one of the 'better' collectible reality television shows out there...

Respectfully,

'mint'

Jeez, I wonder what was in it?

If its late 80's-early 90's even in that bulk I dont know how much money would be there to be made.

All I remember is the fact that they pulled out a Barry Bonds 'rookie card' to showcase the lot. That tells me it is mostly 'drek.' I do not collect sports cards and have no interest personally, so this is one area I tend to avoid.

I do remember they called in an 'expert' and the expert said, 'you could not pay me enough to have to sift through all those cards.' I thought that was quite funny.

Kind Regards,

'mint'