• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors of baseball cards striking out

802 posts in this topic

I wasn't asking how to do any resto Pat. I was asking what the hobby thinks about certain procedures. I actually tried to get info so I could parallel it to comics.

Yes you can press a card. I just don't know if it is acceptable or not. Also don't know how effective it is either. I'm also not sure if it is detectable on cards.

I have read some threads on Net54 about soaking cards. And yes it is exactly what it sounds like. Soak a card in water to get the card cleaner or get wax/glue/glued paper off the back.

Ive had good luck buying vending on eBay. One thing I look for is the serration/striping o the cards when the lid is opened. It has a very distinct pattern.

A great place with a great reputation is bbcexchange.com.

Fleet vending boxes are numbered 1-4. If you have the 4 boxes you will get 3 sets. From them. I pulled a bunch of sweet 83-85 cards from those vending boxes.

How far back do their baseball card vending boxes run? Can you get them back to the late fifties?

Secondly, do they have hockey, football and non-sport as well as baseball?

???

i bemoan the fact that you cant buy a couple of box's and have fun building a set.like we did in the 70's and eighties. yeah,i am a dinosaur

(thumbs u

Hah! If you had the scratch to buy a whole box or two of the cards, you're no dinosaur. You're just another young whippersnapper. In my card buying days from 1959 to 1965, I could never afford anymore than one to four packs at a time, and more often than not just the one.

:preach:

i recall a whole box of rat patrol (1966 or so) for a whole 1.20!! yes that was a good pop bottle drive day

How far back do their baseball card vending boxes run? Can you get them back to the late fifties?

Secondly, do they have hockey, football and non-sport as well as baseball?

???

in the late 70's at a strongsville,ohio b.b. card show,there were vending box's available for sale of mchales navy,gomer pyle, and the 55 card batman orangeback set. in 1981 or so someone came across a couple of the 1962 civil war news vending box's as a guy in scs was selling vending fresh sets for around 200-300 dollars

Hey Hepcat! arexcrooke is quite right, Steve Hart (owner of bbcexchange) and his team have a sterling rep and its well-deserved. IF late 50s and 60s boxes are available, he could procure them for you, or tell you if they just plain aren't out there. Just email him, he's quite nice, and helpful! But the cost (I have to think) will be great, for its from untouched vending boxes and old unopened packs that people hope to get supergrades of vintage stars that will be the equivalent of hitting the lotto.

Just on a single pack basis, 60s era baseball packs can go into the several hundred to high hundreds, depending on series and what might be inside. You can't get an unopened 52 topps bb pack without several thousand to spend. Ironically, then, it works out about the same as a kid in the 50s or 60s, if they had a nickel or dime they could get 1 or 2 packs, but no more than that, and what to choose? :)

One time, I thought it would be cool to pick up a 53 topps bb wrapper on ebay, to go with my other 50s and 60s wrappers (they're generally not too too expensive.) I was surprised by its final price of better than $600, but not so much in retrospect, as it's very very tough -- just aren't any really out there.

Arex, grading cards does get down to magnification of corners, etc. and looking for the most minor of wrinkles and slight corner touches, to differentiate 8's from 9's from 10's. It's closer to grading coins vs. comics, really. I know they hammer even slight paper wrinkles as made on cards, as I have a beauty '67 Killebrew that presents as an 8 from the front, but a back wrinkle as made in the paper stock, makes it a PSA 5. :)

Edit to add link to bbcexchange for hepcat -- now, while there are vintage packs that are insanely expensive, so too are there ones of oddball and non-sport, that are not! So I bet there is something here for you that may appeal enough to give Steve a try. As I said, feel free to email him, he's very friendly and in my experience is happy to share his knowledge! (When PSA slabs sealed packs, Steve is the expert they turn to to assure they are legit originals and not reseals, etc.)

http://bbcexchange.com/itemcatalog.aspx?categoryid=44

I wasn't asking how to do any resto Pat. I was asking what the hobby thinks about certain procedures. I actually tried to get info so I could parallel it to comics.

Yes you can press a card. I just don't know if it is acceptable or not. Also don't know how effective it is either. I'm also not sure if it is detectable on cards.

I have read some threads on Net54 about soaking cards. And yes it is exactly what it sounds like. Soak a card in water to get the card cleaner or get wax/glue/glued paper off the back.

Ive had good luck buying vending on eBay. One thing I look for is the serration/striping o the cards when the lid is opened. It has a very distinct pattern.

Fleet vending boxes are numbered 1-4. If you have the 4 boxes you will get 3 sets. From them. I pulled a bunch of sweet 83-85 cards from those vending boxes.

Arex, I turned a 1968 Billy Williams PSA 5 (it may have been a 6) into a PSA 8 by pressing it with a normal household iron. It had a surface crease on it that I didn't see when I subbed it. PSA hammers those. It worked great for the surface crease, but I don't know how well it would work for a crease that actually goes through the entire card. I'm guessing some cards are better candidates for pressing that others, just like comics.

IF late 50s and 60s boxes are available, he could procure them for you, or tell you if they just plain aren't out there. Just email him, he's quite nice, and helpful! But the cost (I have to think) will be great, for its from untouched vending boxes and old unopened packs that people hope to get supergrades of vintage stars that will be the equivalent of hitting the lotto.

...now, while there are vintage packs that are insanely expensive, so too are there ones of oddball and non-sport, that are not! So I bet there is something here for you that may appeal enough to give Steve a try.

http://bbcexchange.com/itemcatalog.aspx?categoryid=44

Actually neither unopened vending boxes nor unopened packs would suit my requirements. What I really want is stacks of commons that are vending box fresh, and just the wrappers themselves since I only collect these as opposed to unopened packs.

I'll get in touch with Steve at any rate though. It sounds like he might have a treasure trove of stuff in which I might be interested anyway.

:)

I still collect but its very different.... Packs now can cost as much as $500-800 a pack and the resell value on them suck. People invest so much now they dont want to trade it all about selling and trying to break even.

Another big difference now is that prices are highest for modern sets upon initial release. This is because that's when demand for the cards is the highest as collectors' of the current issue snap them up. But within two years these fellows have moved on to whatever subsequent issue, and that's when big time discounting of unsold stock starts.

I remember going to a flea market back in the early 80s and finding a bunch of 1976 Topps Football rack packs for 25 cents each. My dad bought them all for me. We just missed out on the 74 Topps baseball rack packs that he sold. :frustrated:

I pulled one Payton rookie out of the racks. I wonder if it would have been better to have kept those rack packs sealed.

There is an active trading community to complete modern sets on the PSA boards.

Yeah, but it's at the schoolyard where we should be trading cards, not over the internet.

And gas should be .50c a gallon too gramps :baiting:

Yeah, but it's at the schoolyard where we should be trading cards, not over the internet.

I'd have to take my cards out of the spokes of my bike first!!!

:P

-slym

I'd have to take my Mantle rookie cards out of the spokes of my bike first!!!

:P

-slym

:o

:tonofbricks: