• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors of baseball cards striking out

802 posts in this topic

:signfunny: didn't realize PGX was that bad. I'm new to comics and knew CGC was "the" name in grading, but didn't realize the divide was so big. With cards PSA and BGS are pretty reputable. The only difference is that BGS uses a more strict half point scale and PSA uses a full point grading scale.

PSA has done half points for a few years. They just do not have a 9.5 but they have lower .5 numbers.

Kids today have more today to keep their time occupied than they did. Take a 12 year old kid for example in say 1965. How do you keep him quiet and keep from being bored? Read comics, go see a movie at the theater, collect baseball cards, play sports, ride a bike, watch TV, get a paper route. Compare that same 12 year old to the year 2012 and how do you keep him busy? Go online, play PS3/Xbox, text his friends on his iphone, watch a movie on his parents HD 120 inch TV. Much more now to hold his attention than watching a bunch of overpaid, juiced up cry babies.

Damn. I wish I had been a kid in this era. I could trade in that 20 inch piece of :censored: RCA tv we had, for a 120/HD tv. :cloud9:

I think one of the largest differences between comics and baseball cards is in the numbers printed. I remember back in the early 90s a dealer and I were able to buy a lot of Steve Avery rookie cards for like .07c each in lots of 1,000. I think even at that time, it would have been tough to buy 7 or 8,000 copies of any comic like Spawn 1.

now, as for the walking dead/Tom Brady rookie card, for every copy of WD1, I bet there is at least 1,000 copies of the Brady rookie which is why even in 30 years time, it won't be worth lot as every " investor "could have hundreds at least of them.

That being said, I have been out of cards for a while and things such as the mass numbers being printed may have changed and as of now, the one big thing comics has for it, is the low print runs on some of the popular titles.

Some of Brady rookies are printed in less quanity than WD 1.

MOST of his rookie cards (2000) were printed in far smaller numbers. (I'm a big collector of his stuff.)

I think one of the largest differences between comics and baseball cards is in the numbers printed. I remember back in the early 90s a dealer and I were able to buy a lot of Steve Avery rookie cards for like .07c each in lots of 1,000. I think even at that time, it would have been tough to buy 7 or 8,000 copies of any comic like Spawn 1.

now, as for the walking dead/Tom Brady rookie card, for every copy of WD1, I bet there is at least 1,000 copies of the Brady rookie which is why even in 30 years time, it won't be worth lot as every " investor "could have hundreds at least of them.

That being said, I have been out of cards for a while and things such as the mass numbers being printed may have changed and as of now, the one big thing comics has for it, is the low print runs on some of the popular titles.

MOST of his rookie cards (2000) were printed in far smaller numbers. (I'm a big collector of his stuff.)

:D

brady_rc.jpg

brady_rc.jpg

The 2000 Upper Deck SP "Championship" Rookie ticket Auto (Bottom lower left) is limited to I believe 100 made. It's his most expensive, last I saw was guide $5000.00

Well, I suppose this is the official post your cards thread. Or maybe post your slabbed cards thread. (shrug) If it ain't, somebody make one and I'll post in it I swear. :grin:

Anyway, for years I've dabbled in older cards but now I'm about to get serious. Gonna get my feet wet and put together a set of 1961 Topps Hall of Famers in PSA 5-6-7.

These came in the mail this week. Clemente and Shoendienst in transit. I think after I knock this set out I might get really serious and take a stab at 1956 Topps. Not going to be cheap even in PSA 5 or 6

IMG_0688.jpg

Well, im losing on another auction tonight. :( Price isnt that insane, but i guess for my personal collection a PSA 10 isnt necessary. A 9 will have to do. Buy the card, not the label. Wait, that sounded awfully familiar. hm

A family about 45 minutes away just found about 3 million in tobacco cards in an attic, high grade Ty Cobbs and Wagner, amazing....

An UNBELIEVABLE collection from over 100 years ago! Heritage is auctioning many of the cards.

Article on the find

TV interview with the owner

It still seems to me that these cards, over 100 years old, seem to go for nothing.

Well, im losing on another auction tonight. :( Price isnt that insane, but i guess for my personal collection a PSA 10 isnt necessary. A 9 will have to do. Buy the card, not the label. Wait, that sounded awfully familiar. hm

Sure does. For what I want in my collection, 50's and 60's HOFers, I've found that I enjoy the eye appeal from 7 down to 5 and am content.

Probably the only PSA 10's I might go for would be RC of my favorite players. Likely Will Clark and other first basemen I grew up watching in the '80's and '90's.

I bought 500 Avery rookies back then. :tonofbricks:

Sure does. For what I want in my collection, 50's and 60's HOFers, I've found that I enjoy the eye appeal from 7 down to 5 and am content.

Probably the only PSA 10's I might go for would be RC of my favorite players. Likely Will Clark and other first basemen I grew up watching in the '80's and '90's.

I was bidding on the Reggie Jackson rookie super card PSA 10 from the Dmitri Young collection. I have his rookie and almost every card they made of him throughout his career. I stopped collecting around 1992 and just started again a few years back. Now that im older i am more selective. Ive found out a few years ago there are cards of Reggie i never knew exsisted. Trying to track those down. This time im trying to buy 9's or 10's. For what the 10's are going for, i have no problem buying a 9 at one tenth the price of a 10.

Jeff

:( I still have some too. Brien Taylor rookies, Hensley Meulens rookies. Probably in my basement somewhere.

I agree a little, but i think sports resonates with people more than comic books. While you might not have people who follow the Yankees, Derek Jeter's name is out there a lot. People might collect cards just because they know Jeter is a great player and not necessarily because they are a baseball fan. Perhaps now with all the movies coming out, people who dont collect comic books will start to buy comics because they have become a fan of the movie, not because they collect comics.

One example, although not a very good one is when they killed off Superman. I had friends who wanted copies because of the big media blitz that came with it, not because they were collectors. They also thought they were gonna get too retire early. Problem was they printed too many of them and the market still couldnt absorb everything. Just my opinion of course,

Jeff

Hold on to those.He might make something of himself someday. lol

Seriously nice stash!

brady_rc.jpg