• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Con Artists: the Art of the Convention Sketch

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! My name is Kraig Przybylski and I am trying to put together an art book that showcases sketches artists do at comic conventions. I am calling it 'Con Artists: the art of the Convention Sketch. I made a Kickstarter for it which can be found here:

If anyone would be interested in helping, please check out the link. Any amount of help would be seriously appreciated. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for looking,

Kraig

One question...

How are you going to handle the legal issues about licensing? Only sketches of public domain characters and unique characters drawn only for this book? Can't publish a book with images of trademarked characters or risk lawsuit from every property owner.

Well of course I am hoping to get permission from the companies whose characters will be in the book. I am encouraging the artists involved to draw any creator-owned character they might have as well. Companies like DC and Marvel are hard to get a hold of though, and I am trying my hardest to. I feel that those issues can be resolved while I am making the book. But without the Kickstarter being a success, I won't even get there.

I'd recommend having a focused theme, rather than an assortment, since most sketch fans can just go to CAF and look at other collector's galleries for free all day all night.

If it's simply a random book of random artist drawing random characters, some licensed and some not, it probably has less appeal to most art collectors who know all too well the sketch circuit.

Themes can be based on time, as one person published some sort of "1 minute or 3 minute sketch book" with artists only given a limited amount of time to render the art... but then if you did that, it falls under the "it's already been done" category.

Or maybe a sequential story with a character you create as opposed to getting into a potential sticky hot mess of legal issues should this book become successful and license owners bring their lawyers into the picture.

Maybe only pick artists who have their own creator owned characters to stick with the indie feel.

Or even a "draw me" book with artists drawing you, or "draw my hot girlfriend" since most art collectors appreciate the female form better than the male one.

Otherwise, without focus, the book potentially sounds fun to flip through, but in my opinion, difficult to justify to buy, thus less likely a commercial success nor a profitable one.

Getting a license is going to be BRUTAL. We deal with that kind of thing all of the time and it's really tough. Not trying to be a buzz kill, but just letting you know that getting this all squared away before the project starts may save a lot of headaches during/ after the production of the book.

AKA-Rick, thanks for the suggestions, a themed book would be more interesting. As none of the artists will draw anything until the Kickstarter is funded, I have time to think up a good one. I considered doing something like only DC characters or only Marvel character if it will help my chances of getting permission, as that is better than nothing. I don't know we shall see.

Anyway, I am trying for this book to be more than just sketches as I am also doing mini interviews with each artist to give the book more meat. I am also aiming the book at people who have never been to a convention or know about this art form at all as I am for people who are already con sketch fans.

Brian, I have no intention of printing the characters without permission, even if I could get away with it. I would like good relationships with the companies as I am starting my own art career.

Thecacusish, Yes I would rather resolve those issues sooner than later, I remember before DC redid there website, there was a part about permissions. It said that they requested finished products sent in to receive permission. So we will see if they get back to me ever. And I am hoping other companies are the same.