• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will TPBs eventually increase in value?

90 posts in this topic

We all know that the comic book, as we know it, will eventually be a thing of the past. TPB sales are on the rise, and monthly comics are slowing.

My question is, do you think the trades, specifically first printings, will see significant increase in value?

Books like this bring some coin, even though you can get the comics for a couple bucks.

I can't help but think that first print TPBs of books like 100 Bullets, Preacher, and Swamp Thing will eventually sell for big bucks. If you have any of these, check the printing, as many are up to 5th or 6th.

IMO, I think TPBs will eventually be like Graphic Novels. Due to multiple printings very few of them will ever be worth your purchase price. Sure, you'll have some first editions that are going to stand out but unless the content is different you're not going to see too much difference in price.

I have mentioned on more than one occasion that I sell 1st printings for over cover price as soon as the 2nd printings are out. And I have had no resistance at the higher prices. 1st printings of DKR fetch $35 without much hesitation, and I haven't had a 1st print Watchmen (currently on 13th printing) in quite some time, but the last one I had sold for $45 and the buyer didn't even blink.

25-50% over cover price is very reasonable on the recent Vertigo titles you mention, and I can get that same markup even on things like Ultimate Spidey... The later Preacher trades aren't very far in yet, but a 1st print of the first volume is already a premium item...

If customers view something as disposable, it has a good chance of being collectible down the line... and very few people who bought the 1st printing of 100 Bullets: First Shot Last Call were planning on keeping it in NM shape as a collectible... confused-smiley-013.gif

We all know that the comic book, as we know it, will eventually be a thing of the past. TPB sales are on the rise, and monthly comics are slowing.

My question is, do you think the trades, specifically first printings, will see significant increase in value?

Books like this bring some coin, even though you can get the comics for a couple bucks.

I can't help but think that first print TPBs of books like 100 Bullets, Preacher, and Swamp Thing will eventually sell for big bucks. If you have any of these, check the printing, as many are up to 5th or 6th.

I think only Hardvocer reprints will ever go up in value!

That is very helpful. I should probably keep my mouth shut, and keep buying them up.

Speaking of buying, do you have the 1st print of the first Animal Man trade?

Personally, I think the responses to the thread prove my point...

Stronguy, Supapimp and Ares all think there won't be a market, and the one responder who actually sells these for a living says the market is already there...

The simple fact that the "typical" purchaser of TPBs does not think they have any upside means there is a chance for them to appreciate... It's the items everyone thinks are going to go up in value that never do. thumbsup2.gif

I don't have a big stockpile of 1st print TPBs (I wish I did). But the people who do will benefit from the guys who don't think they will be worth anything.

Face it... None of us would have valuable comics if it wasn't for mothers the world over throwing the darn things in the trash. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i have 5 first print DKR SC direct, non direct, and limited and non limited HC's. but as for other TPB's i dunno yogi, why pay $45 for a watchmen TPB when you can buy the whole set for $25? there are exceptions to the rule though like limited edition HC.

I made a point of getting 1st print of all the Sandman TPBs until they starting putting our Hardcovers, then I got the 1st prints of those. I missed the Wake, and had to get it off ebay for only a little more then cover. I have first print Animal Man, Watchmen, Swamp Things etc, but the problem is I have READ all of them, some more then once, so the condition isn't NM. I have found that even unread tbs often have little scuffs from normal bookshelf wear, so perhaps truly high grade examples might reach a premium.

Thanks for that link valiantman. I especially like Shadrochs comparison to AOL disks. Hilarious.

My POV is that kids who buy comics in 5 years will buy trades, not monthly. When they look back on their childhood, they may think about that Runaways trade rather than the individual comics. When they try to recapture that happy time, they'll go looking for the trade.

Regarding hardcovers, I know many hardcovers will increase in value. Just look for a 'V for Vendatta' HC ($100+) or Watchmen ($50+), or any of the Fireside HCs ($50-400). Even newer HCs like 'Ultimate Marvel Team-Up' ($50+). I'd bet money that most of the Marvel HCs (1st prints) will eventually command a premium.

The Sandman books are a good example of people paying a premium for first printings. You can buy the new HCs for $10-15 or less (buy from TPB King), but the first prints command up to $100.

i have 5 first print DKR SC direct, non direct, and limited and non limited HC's. but as for other TPB's i dunno yogi, why pay $45 for a watchmen TPB when you can buy the whole set for $25? there are exceptions to the rule though like limited edition HC.

I agree. Sure, sometimes what is viewed as disposable and non-collectible one day becomes highly sought after in the future. Sometimes, however, [!@#%^&^] is just [!@#%^&^]. And, sometimes, the right place to look for objective advice on the future value of TPBs is not from a guy whose alter-ego is the "TPB King". tongue.gifwink.gif

With very few exceptions, I'm sure most of the TPBs that are coming out will be worth half or less of cover price (like most used paperback books) in the future. For example, those USM trades have no new material (at least most of the few highly sought-after TPBs actually had new cover art at least), are sold at a minimum 20% discount upon publication online (usually 30% on Amazon) and are reprinted in numerous different forms (how many times has USM #1 been reprinted in various forms, for example?).

I was just talking about this phenomenon with DAM60 the other day - our mutual conclusion was that TPBs, on the whole, are never going to be worth anything. Reprints with no new material in the overwhelming majority of cases are not going to be sought-after, no matter how limited their supply is (not that most of today's TPBs are limited). The bottom line on TPBs is buy 'em cheap and buy 'em to read.

Thanks for that link valiantman. I especially like Shadrochs comparison to AOL disks. Hilarious.

My POV is that kids who buy comics in 5 years will buy trades, not monthly. When they look back on their childhood, they may think about that Runaways trade rather than the individual comics. When they try to recapture that happy time, they'll go looking for the trade.

Regarding hardcovers, I know many hardcovers will increase in value. Just look for a 'V for Vendatta' HC ($100+) or Watchmen ($50+), or any of the Fireside HCs ($50-400). Even newer HCs like 'Ultimate Marvel Team-Up' ($50+). I'd bet money that most of the Marvel HCs (1st prints) will eventually command a premium.

I happen to agree with you... but if you are looking for a place to bet that money, may I suggest my eBay store... tongue.gif

Got fresh hot first printings of eight trades and hardcovers just this week... sumo.gifstooges.gif

I agree. Sure, sometimes what is viewed as disposable and non-collectible one day becomes highly sought after in the future. Sometimes, however, [!@#%^&^] is just [!@#%^&^]. And, sometimes, the right place to look for objective advice on the future value of TPBs is not from a guy whose alter-ego is the "TPB King". tongue.gifwink.gif

Why I oughta... *sigh*

My kidding to wormboy aside, 99.5% of the trades I offer are well beyond their first printing... and I certainly am not suggesting that someone buy a copy of the 8th printing of Kingdom Come from me as an investment. I have over 5,000 trades in stock right now whose value will always be as reading material. I have 25-30 trades set aside that I think do have some upside, but I am clearly not suggesting them as the prime component of an investment portfolio. foreheadslap.gif

That said... Just to report on what the current marketplace is like... 1st printings of most any recent TPB that has made it to printing 4 or 5 will sell at a premium... I make no attempt to hype them as an investment in the shop, and given the choice between a 4th printing at cover price and a 1st printing at a 40% premium, most customers will choose the 4th printing. But there are people out there who actively seek 1st printings, who are willing to pay a premium for them, and who may form a collecting base for them in the future...

With very few exceptions, I'm sure most of the TPBs that are coming out will be worth half or less of cover price (like most used paperback books) in the future.

That is probably true for stuff that's being printed right now, but what about the Wrightson Swamp Thing TPB (1st)? When do you see one of those? Or the Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow TPBs (1st), Watchmen? All of these books have been reprinted many times, but the first printings of the trades command a premium.

In the future, when there are more TPBs on the shelf than monthly comics, do you think that will change things?

I don't "know" this to be true. In fact, I disagree with the basic premise.

I don't "know" this to be true. In fact, I disagree with the basic premise.

OK, monthly comics may not disappear, but you get the idea. Most retailers will tell you that sales of trades are on fire, and monthly comics are declining (in total).

The question is, do you think trades will someday be worth money (more than cover price)?

1st printing hardcovers: magic 8-ball says all signs point to yes

1st printing softcover trades: magic 8-ball says: ask again later

maybe I need a new 8-ball 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But seriously, i dont foresee tbps being an investment in the same sense as we see comics but anything is possible