• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 49 CGC 9.6

46 posts in this topic

Geez man, that's barely a miswrap. If you only collect books that are dead on perfectly wrapped you probably don't ever buy anything. How many books are perfectly wrapped? 5%- 10% maybe?

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I love hearing this type of comment from the CGC high-grade faithful.

How many books are there in NM or higher? 5-10%. Man, I think this high-grade mania is getting way out of hand. insane.gif

What Miswrap? Sheesh the QP argument is getting out of control. Try buying golden age, even many of the pedigrees have serious miswraps. That FF 49 looks pretty dead on wrapped to me!

What Miswrap? Sheesh the QP argument is getting out of control. Try buying golden age, even many of the pedigrees have serious miswraps. That FF 49 looks pretty dead on wrapped to me!

Dunno...must be a different book? confused-smiley-013.gif

Nice score! $150...$3200 thumbsup2.gif I'd have kept that book though, awesome cover. Is your silver Marvel stash depleted or do you have more gems hidden away? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
Depleted long ago, at least for Silver! foreheadslap.gif

Greggy wouldn't be here if it weren't for this book!! I noticed he sold it (June of '02?), and as it was being discussed here I emailed him and told him to join us, so yes, it's my fault we've been subjected to over eight thousand gremlin-only posts... sorry.gif

You did it! mad.gif

flowerred.gif

So enlighten me Joe. How many silver and bronze books are DEAD-ON perfectly wrapped?

No idea, but it's always amusing to see high-grade maniacs harping on those who want high-QP issues. It's the same ballgame.

That IS a high QP issue 893frustrated.gif Did you actually look at the book? It's a fraction of an inch miswrap and the first thing that gets pointed out about the book is that it's miswrapped. And I'm not harping on people that want high QP books. I look for them myself. My only point was that high QP does not equal PERFECT QP and that there are very few PERFECT books out there.

That IS a high QP issue 893frustrated.gif Did you actually look at the book? It's a fraction of an inch miswrap and the first thing that gets pointed out about the book is that it's miswrapped. And I'm not harping on people that want high QP books. I look for them myself.

Ah, it's amusing how the obvious eludes some people. 893frustrated.gif

Here's another way of looking at it. Someone posts a 9.2 with a miniscule back cover crease, the HG maniacs deride the issue, the price paid, and post scans of their CGC 9.6-9.8 copies.

It's the same thing. It's a miniscule crease that dropped it to a 9.2, yet it is "not good enough" for the "true high-grade collector".

Same thing here, just different criteria.

So enlighten me Joe. How many silver and bronze books are DEAD-ON perfectly wrapped?

No idea, but it's always amusing to see high-grade maniacs harping on those who want high-QP issues. It's the same ballgame.

People pay absurd multiples for one less spine break, and yet searching for books with zero production defects is considered obsessive..... confused.gif

My only point was that high QP does not equal PERFECT QP and that there are very few PERFECT books out there.

Exactly. There are probably less than 10% that would be considered QP 10.0s

Anyone with money can buy the highest graded copy of something.....but it takes time to find a copy with PERFECT QP.

Thanks to QP, alot more 9.2 and 9.4 books have become keepers in my collection. cloud9.gif

Hmmm... Really? Would you care to point out some examples of people slamming a 9.2 and posting their superior 9.6? What, no concrete examples? Most people on this board do not bash other peoples' books because they are .2 lower than their own. I think you are the one that's missing the point. There are very few books that have perfect QP as there are very few books that are structurally perfect. That book in my opinion is a 9.4 QP if there were such a thing. So someone posts a nice book and the first comment made is "oh look at that horrible miswrap, the horror, the horror". It's equivalent to someone saying "yeah would you look at that slightly rounded corner on that 9.6, how truly ugly". I'll say it again, there's nothing wrong with looking for high QP books but when books that have high QP are slammed for not being PERFECT I think the QP thing is being taken to seriously exaggerated levels.

Thanks to QP, alot more 9.2 and 9.4 books have become keepers in my collection. cloud9.gif

I know exactly what you mean, and I'd much rather have a high-QP 9.4 than one of those freaky white-border/off-center CGC 9.8 copies, and best of all, the high-QP 9.4 is a fraction the cost.

One second... BWAHAHAHAHAHA

It's equivalent to someone saying "yeah would you look at that slightly rounded corner on that 9.6, how truly ugly".

Gee, and no one ever says that. insane.gif

You mean besides you?

Why is it okay to be anal about structure .....but not EYE APPEAL ? confused.gif

Nothing wrong with it at all. As I said in my first post above, "everyone has their own preferences". People can be as selective, or non-selective, as they want. I personally would admire someone who was holding out for perfect structure and perfect QP.

I think some of the people posting on this thread, including myself, were simply responding to the initial posting about the mis-wrap, where the poster seemed to be implying that it was a truly horrendous miswrap like some of the high grade ASM 129s or IH 181s that have been discussed on these boards. When we opened it, it didn't seem all that bad. In my mind, it was the equivalent of someone ragging on a 9.6 because of a horrific crease and then, upon seeing the book and seeing a tiny 1/16 crease on the spine, wondering what the big fuss was all about.