• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead - Second Governor page sell for $2,300?

134 posts in this topic

Nexus and NSN,

You might not think you are attacking me, but it is coming across that way

I am really suprised by the actions and have always thought highly of both of you.

Sorry the art is up for sale at a price I feel comfortable with. Again, my piece. It's like a vendetta that I have it up for sale and there is something wrong with that? Offers can be made and seriously considered (of course).

The price doesn't sit well with you guys apparently and it is what it is. I am not changing it and I have explained myself (hopefully) very clearly when I did not even have to do that.

Hurtful and unwarranted. I have no problems with opinions on it, but once stated does it need to be rehashed over and over and then the bar raised for insults? Others have opinions and have stated them clearly...once.

If you think the Comiclink Compendium is just an attack on SOT, it goes against me and shows a level of immaturity for those that are considered to some of the best public OA collectors in the market.

Sorry I have to comment like this, but if you wanted to irk me, you did.

JJ,

my comments weren't meant as an attack of any kind. So, if it came out that way, wasn't intended.

When I made my comments I wasn't even thinking of your cover, but more of my pet peeve of people posting things to CAF using all of the key words I listed for Nexus. So, I just used this thread to vent.

I've got no problem with your asking price. I own 1 piece of WD art, and I 'accidentally' won that on eBay (I thought I would be outbid doh! ).

At the end of the day, your art, you do what you like. Whether you sell it or not has zero impact on me.

You'll notice I don't have any of my personal favorites for sale. Why? I haven't found a price yet that will make me package up the art and send it off. When I do, my price point will be near yours.

Good luck with the sale. We need a champion for the modern era art.

F Watchmen

:foryou:

What piece of WD art did you win by accident sir?

All good NSN and Nexus...

I was bombarded with PMs and Emails from CAF yesterday and I think my last good nerve decided to have a mental breakdown...

I wish I had my Preacher page back lol

JJ

Felix,

To quote Rueben (CollectingFool) from a post from yesterday,

"To have an intelligent discussion with a group of people would require an intelligent group. While many of the people in the hobby are more than capable of having an intelligent discussion you have the handful that jump in with their attacks and one-liners that completely miss the point and that usually winds up derailing the discussion."

We tried to maintain an intelligent discussion yesterday, but you chose to make a case in point of the above post. The purpose of yesterdays discourse was to try to have an intelligent discussion about emerging and modern collectors. I think we were doing a great job until you decided to lead it down a different path.

JonJesperson knew exactly what my last post was about, it was an "atta boy!" and he recognized and appreciated it as such to me via PM.

You can excuse your behavior as a "joke" but you are one of the elder statesmen here and so a "joke" can come across more like a personal attack to a newbie and I respect JJ for being able to express his feelings to you as such.

We can either bully or foster the young blood in OA. It's your choice, but please save your personal attacks (veiled or otherwise) for PMs or in person at cons (though I think much more highly of you when you are generous enough to speak with my wife about parenthood).

The funny thing is...I bet this is exactly the type of thread and discussion that Ruben would find distasteful, even before my participation! He has stated more than once that the board's seeming preoccupation with art values annoy him.

Along those lines, I didn't find the bulk of yesterday's discussion particularly illuminating. It read less like a discussion on emerging and modern collectors, than an internal debate about the profit potential in WALKING DEAD art. Nothing about the art itself. As well as a lot of self-justification and rationalization for "buying and selling" (i.e. flipping).

And I'm not talking about JJ. My posts were only tangentially about JJ. My replies were more a reaction to your posts and later, SOT's. I go back to my first post...if this cover was listed by, say, Mitch Itkowitz for $50K, would you congratulate him? I'll answer for you: NO. Why not, though? There's no one in this hobby more brash and unapologetic than Mitch! It's because you draw a line between dealers and collectors, when there is actually very little difference between dealers and some "collectors". (Again, not talking about JJ.) Such as yourself. You say your hobby is "buying and selling comics and original art". Interestingly, you didn't include "collecting"!

I believe I've helped enough new collectors along the way. I was there myself not that long ago. I get asked questions via PM/e-mail all the time. I answer them all.

I would think that is was a good buy. Michone is really hot right now because she was shown in the finale....once they show the governor his key art and issues will boom aswell.

The seller originally listed this page at $10K. Then dropped to $5K. Then $2.5K. Now "sold" for $2.3K. Maybe considered a "good buy" now, when compared to the original asking price.

To me...not especially a good buy. Not a lot going on in this page. $2K still goes pretty far for Adlard WD pages. As far as I know, this has to be at or near top dollar for an Adlard page...that dollar level should be reserved for better pages, imo.

Felix, I've pretty much agreed with you 100% on every post in regards to OA until this one. And no other person has taught me more about OA than you. We can only guess as to what the future of WD will be, both in book form and oa form. $2300 is a pretty aggressive price for a page, but I don't think we'll see this any lower anytime soon.

Felix,

To quote Rueben (CollectingFool) from a post from yesterday,

"To have an intelligent discussion with a group of people would require an intelligent group. While many of the people in the hobby are more than capable of having an intelligent discussion you have the handful that jump in with their attacks and one-liners that completely miss the point and that usually winds up derailing the discussion."

We tried to maintain an intelligent discussion yesterday, but you chose to make a case in point of the above post. The purpose of yesterdays discourse was to try to have an intelligent discussion about emerging and modern collectors. I think we were doing a great job until you decided to lead it down a different path.

JonJesperson knew exactly what my last post was about, it was an "atta boy!" and he recognized and appreciated it as such to me via PM.

You can excuse your behavior as a "joke" but you are one of the elder statesmen here and so a "joke" can come across more like a personal attack to a newbie and I respect JJ for being able to express his feelings to you as such.

We can either bully or foster the young blood in OA. It's your choice, but please save your personal attacks (veiled or otherwise) for PMs or in person at cons (though I think much more highly of you when you are generous enough to speak with my wife about parenthood).

The funny thing is...I bet this is exactly the type of thread and discussion that Ruben would find distasteful, even before my participation! He has stated more than once that the board's seeming preoccupation with art values annoy him.

Along those lines, I didn't find the bulk of yesterday's discussion particularly illuminating. It read less like a discussion on emerging and modern collectors, than an internal debate about the profit potential in WALKING DEAD art. Nothing about the art itself. As well as a lot of self-justification and rationalization for "buying and selling" (i.e. flipping).

And I'm not talking about JJ. My posts were only tangentially about JJ. My replies were more a reaction to your posts and later, SOT's. I go back to my first post...if this cover was listed by, say, Mitch Itkowitz for $50K, would you congratulate him? I'll answer for you: NO. Why not, though? There's no one in this hobby more brash and unapologetic than Mitch! It's because you draw a line between dealers and collectors, when there is actually very little difference between dealers and some "collectors". (Again, not talking about JJ.) Such as yourself. You say your hobby is "buying and selling comics and original art". Interestingly, you didn't say "collecting"!

I believe I've helped enough new collectors along the way. I was there myself not that long ago. I get asked questions via PM/e-mail all the time. I answer them all.

This is very true. Felix, and in fact JJ both taught this newb an awful lot. Thanks for the advice.

50k for that cover, might as well add it to the wealth of overpriced material that just sit out for sale in the forlorn hope that some gullible insufficiently_thoughtful_person will purchase it.

50k for that cover, might as well add it to the wealth of overpriced material that just sit out for sale in the forlorn hope that some gullible insufficiently_thoughtful_person will purchase it.

See Nexus we found one....see above. lol

See Nexus we found one....see above. lol

As a new original art collector I was just being brash and unapologetic.