• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emerald City Con Report

210 posts in this topic

I don't think it is too far fetched. The timing is good as it was something they were considering independently of my request. It is not 'easy' to arrange all of these opps but it is mostly common sense. Contact them, get on their list and when they have time they contact you (in my experience this can happen over a year after my initial contact). Every artist wants to do art, its just a matter of time vs pay that they must consider.

It is early to talk about this, but someone :cool: mentioned to me that they had been in contact with Marc's people about getting sketches. The reply was there is a coming plan to make sketches available on the website.

Well I was urged to contact them and see what I could do, as Troy says the line was insane at ECC, they promised people with tickets that you would get signatures if you had a ticket that was not true lol . I got in JUST as they capped the line and turned away people with tickets.

Anyhow I sent an initial email that was met with the standard form reply. I replied that I think they misunderstood my inquiry. The reply was pretty funny. They admitted they did mistake the inquiry and that when Marc is not on a deadline that we can talk about offering a CGC SS sketch opp.

When will it happen? Who knows maybe never, but if he gets time I feel confident he would like to do it. Winter maybe :wishluck:

You are right, there have been discussions about Marc providing sketch opportunities to fans on a blank cover size level. To answer Adonis's comment and echoing others, there are a number of Silvestri SS sketches out there. I don't have pics but I know I facilitated or CAWed a few myself over the years since Marc normally does Calif shows only.

Marc has sketching less and less at shows because he feels the quality of a quickie 30 second sketch isn't fair to a fan who loves his work and his lines are too long to allow for nice sketches. But trust me, the man is HAPPIEST sitting at a booth, signing and sketching for fans. Troy, I am so glad you hung in there. You obviously realize that he was happy to do the sketch, he just didn't want to cause trouble in the line and it's Top Cows job to protect him and keep everything running. They don't like Being the bad guy but someone's gotta do it. I know, I had to do it years ago and it sucks.

As far as a sketch opp, it's a difficult proposition for several reasons. Even when Marc doesn't have a comic deadline, his schedule is packed. He's got some non comics projects hes working on, including one for MTV. He has so many meetings regarding the comic, TV, movie, video games, and regular business stuff of running Top Cow. (for every project you see on the market, like the Darkness video game or the movie Wanted, there's 9 projects that had a ton of mtgs and planning that didn't make it. And of course the projects that make it have meetings, publicity, and more.) his schedule is busy enough that he needs at minimum a 6 month period to handle a stack of sketches, and most likely longer. (I would mention how long he's behind on his few commissions but I'd rather not)

Therefore it's easier to delay or even not take on those sketches for fear of keeping a bunch of fans eagerly waiting for a long looooong period of time. He understands that his fans will wait for him but he has so much to balance that it's easier to just focus on the mission critical stuff first. The fact that he agreed to do 3 shows in 3 months (image Expo, ECCC, C2E2) is an encouraging step towards seeing more of him and his artwork in 2012.

All I will say is stay tuned. When something can happen it'll happen. It will definitely take longer than we all would like, but if it's meant to be it'll be. Enuf philosophizing. :)

Marc is such a treat to chat with in person! I had fun seeing him again at C2E2! It had definitely been a while since he was in Chicago.

I would absolutely love a sketch opp, but thankfully I do remember the good old days when he was able to sketch at the booth and would provide awesome free head sketches for those able to brave the long line (well before my sig series days).

In fact, right before braving the line was the first time that I met Joel after I was talking with Marc at the booth about purchasing art from his then upcoming run on X-Men with Grant Morrison and he put me in touch with the ever capable Joel to handle the specifics of a deal. (worship)

Thanks Joel, great post.

Everything you said I feel is 100% correct. Marc would love to sit and crack out sketches all day long. I didn't really state what went into getting my sketch, but it did involve a lot of luck + hours of hanging around waiting hoping to get a chance at it. The Top Cow dudes had a nightmare time trying to keep everything running, and I know they had a rough time of it.

It's something that I told Marc while I was with him, 30 second sketch by Marc freaking Silvestri is the highlight of my show. It was bad enough the poor guy was not feeling well on sat/sun. I'm glad he got out to 3 cons in 3 months, looking forward to seeing more of him!

In fact, right before braving the line was the first time that I met Joel after I was talking with Marc at the booth about purchasing art from his then upcoming run on X-Men with Grant Morrison and he put me in touch with the ever capable Joel to handle the specifics of a deal. (worship)

Holy Moley that was Wizard World Chicago 2003 wasn't it? Wow, that takes me back, Mike. :) I can't even remember if you finally got some art but my instinct says yes.

Marc's got family in Chicago which is why he always did the Wizard Chicago shows all those years. Then he stopped and got so busy he didnt even have time to go to those for a while. I think he agreed to C2E2 this year because it had been a while.

Marc is a delight to talk to, and a great guy to work for. (I used to be the marketing and sales director for Top Cow, as well as Marc's art rep, years ago, which is why I know all this)

Holy Moley that was Wizard World Chicago 2003 wasn't it? Wow, that takes me back, Mike. :) I can't even remember if you finally got some art but my instinct says yes.

Marc's got family in Chicago which is why he always did the Wizard Chicago shows all those years. Then he stopped and got so busy he didnt even have time to go to those for a while. I think he agreed to C2E2 this year because it had been a while.

Marc is a delight to talk to, and a great guy to work for. (I used to be the marketing and sales director for Top Cow, as well as Marc's art rep, years ago, which is why I know all this)

I think it was at the 2003 Wizard show, wow takes me back too! Yes, I ended up with Marc's gorgeous Wolvie cover to Wizard 147, still one of my favorite pieces in my OA collection to this day (and a wonderful buying experience)! :cloud9:

Got my Emerald City books today.

A big thank you goes out to Desert Wind and JJ for handling my books with such care.

Somebody out there has magic fingers because my WD #1:SE 9.6 (purchased here) came back a 9.8!

6976792366_950595135b_m.jpg6976798904_b2416a7a00_m.jpg7122878025_2db3262c37_m.jpg6976797632_b178aa5914_m.jpg6976795314_24523a1818_m.jpg

6976793428_97448eab22_n.jpg7122875675_3bbb9a1096_n.jpg

6976800150_e53c2086e0_z.jpg

Read about 'the new rack', 'the FedEx situation' and 'the books' here:

Nice books and great work DWC and JJ