• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bindery crease affects grade?

21 posts in this topic

How much does a bindery crease affect grade? Crease looks much worse (darker) on scan. Color is not broken. Also has two such creases on the back and a minute staple tear on the bottom staple. Thanks!

http://www.savepic.com/freepicturehosting/is.php?i=180073&img=B&B57.jpg

http://www.savepic.com/freepicturehosting/is.php?i=180074&img=B&B57cu(2).jpg

CGC think it does not affect grade.

I spoke to Dave Couillou at CGC about this. It does affect the grade, just not as much as a regular crease that size. Books with bindery creases have received grades up to 9.8. On a book that is otherwise a 9.6, it might drop the book to a 9.4 unless it is really tiny and/or on the back cover. If the book is a 9.2, a normal sized crease may or may not drop the book down to a 9.0. Below 9.0, it may not affect the book at all.

Amazing, the things that you can learn when you call these guys on the phone to chat. I also got some good answers to the eternal questions re: how CGC deducts for miswraps, miscuts, and dust shadows. smile.gif Thanks Dave C.!

Amazing, the things that you can learn when you call these guys on the phone to chat. I also got some good answers to the eternal questions re: how CGC deducts for miswraps, miscuts, and dust shadows. smile.gif Thanks Dave C.!

Absolutely. CGC has great customer service. Please share regarding the miswraps, etc...!

Absolutely. CGC has great customer service. Please share regarding the miswraps, etc...!

Miswraps are downgraded if they are significant. If the miswrap is significant but less than a 1/4 inch, then maybe it would keep a book out of 9.8, and might drop a 9.6 to a 9.4. There is no hard and fast rule, but if it is a crooked, ugly miswrap or a big miswrap then it could drop a book .2 or .4 in the NM grades. If it's a tiny miswrap, then depending on the grade of the book structurally, it probably will not be deducted at all.

Miscuts are downgraded too, but not much if at all unless they are significant and visible. If a miscut can only be seen when the book is held against a backboard, then it probably would not be downgraded. But if the miscut is obvious with book in hand without holding it against a backboard for comparison, then it might drop the book down .2 or .4. Again, no hard and fast rule but miscuts are taken into consideration like miswraps are.

Dust shadows are downgraded, but golden age books and silver age books are not downgraded as harshly as a modern book with a dust shadow. Golden age books get a little more leeway than silver age books with dust shadows. Again, no hard and fast rule.

Wow thanks a bunch FFB! Great information, I really appreciate it. And yes diva I think you're about right as far as the grade is concerned. The tiny 1/32" staple tear will keep it from anything higher. I'll probably call it a 8.5 just to be sure.

my auctions

I spoke to Dave Couillou at CGC about this. It does affect the grade, just not as much as a regular crease that size. Books with bindery creases have received grades up to 9.8. On a book that is otherwise a 9.6, it might drop the book to a 9.4 unless it is really tiny and/or on the back cover. If the book is a 9.2, a normal sized crease may or may not drop the book down to a 9.0. Below 9.0, it may not affect the book at all.

Thanks for the correction, i have learned something new today thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the correction, i have learned something new today thumbsup2.gif

No worries. I have heard it said by dozens of people on the boards that CGC does not downgrade for any of these things, but I was pretty sure they did at least a little bit. Never hurts to ask!

The thing that impresses me the most about CGC is how you can always get a grader on the phone during business hours, and he will spend a half hour on the phone with you answering questions if need be.

Why have these defects been dubbed "Bindery Creases".

They are not caused by the Binder, but rather by the Printing Press.

gossip.gif

gossip.gif

Right you are Dice - they are, and should be called "printer creases" flowerred.gif

gossip.gif

And yet when I called and spoke to Dave today, he knew exactly what I was talking about. tongue.gif

stooges.gif

gossip.gif

I believe in some circumstances after the book is bound together (stapled), during the folding process this crease can occur.

gossip.gif

I believe in some circumstances after the book is bound together (stapled), during the folding process this crease can occur.

Incorrect.

But please, try again.

flowerred.gif