• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Modern Marvel Reader

481 posts in this topic

Well I agree with you 12/19 which is more than usual. Dont know if that's significant. hm

It just means he's less grumpy than usual. :gossip:

Hawkeye #1-#7. Everything you could ever want or need in a comic book – great covers, cool art and wonderful writing. Funny, hip and relevant, with funky pop references from Blade Runner to the Ramones. Burn those crappy Saga books and buy this instead.

Avengers #4. Plenty going on, none of it vaguely interesting.

Journey Into Mystery. Pretty cover, nice art and probably a decent story in there somewhere but I just can’t get past the illegibility of the terrible font Marvel uses for Asgardian speak.

Superior Spider-Man #2. Weird and creepy. And not in a good way

All New X-Men #7. Still an excellent read.

Avengers #5. This book is trying too hard to be epic and grand but just comes across as …disappointing.

Fearless Defenders #1. More disappointment.

Iron Man #5. Shellhead in space – a story with no atmosphere.

New Avengers #3. Gets interesting with the last couple of pages. But how is Reed Richards here when he’s supposed to be lost in space with the FF?

Red She Hulk #62. A pretty good read.

Superior Spider Man #3. Blah.

Thunderbolts #4. More blah.

Venom #31. A new city, a new direction, and back to being a decent read.

Winter Soldier #15. More espionage nonsense.

Fantastic Four #4. After three pedestrian issues, surprisingly this is an excellent issue as Reed & Susan’s relationship is explored.

Powers – The Bureau #1. Not sure if the main Powers book has been replaced by this but all I know is that this is the best single comic book published this year, bar none. – truly awesome.

Scarlet Spider #14. This book has quickly degenerated into nonsense.

Secret Avengers #1. What a terrible waste of good characters.

Ultimate X-Men #22. Tedious.

Uncanny X-Men #1. Saved by the last page reveal.

Alpha Big Time #1. Terrible art but a half decent story.

Avengers #6. Much better – we get some characterisation with the cosmic stuff.

Captain America #4. This is one ugly book.

Captain Marvel #10. My eyes bleed just reading this tripe.

Daredevil #23. Genius.

Deadpool #5. Garbage.

Indestructible Hulk #4. Deep sea shenanigans – still an interesting read.

Morbius the Living Vampire #2. Still intriguing.

Nova #1. I cried when I saw Jeph Loeb’s name on this. I cried even more when I read it.

Savage Wolverine #2. A fun read.

Superior Spider-Man #4. Finally, a decent issue.

Thor God of Thunder #5. Marvellous.

Ultimates #21. They should put this book out of its misery.

Avenging Spider-Man #17. I actually enjoyed this issue.

FF #5. For the birds.

Guardians of the Galaxy #0.1. Pretty cool.

Hawkeye #8. Fabulous in every sense.

Journey Into Mystery #649. A fun read.

Thunderbolts #5. Yawn.

Uncanny Avengers #4. Ugly art, terrible writing.

Uncanny X-Force #2. Dull.

Uncanny X-Men #2. Unexpectedly likeable.

X-Men Legacy #6. This book would make Stan Lee cry.

Young Avengers #2. Interesting.

A+X #5. Pointless.

All New X-Men #8. Lots of fighting but still seems a slow-paced issue.

Avengers #7. I suddenly realised why this has been so bad – it’s the New Universe.

Cable & X-Force #4 & #5. Hopeless.

Iron Man #6 & #7. In space no one can hear you sleep.

Red She Hulk #63. Going Underground.

Powers – The Bureau #2. Awesome.

I read these and I completely agree! Well said!

Daredevil #23. Genius.

Superior Spider-Man #4. Finally, a decent issue.

Thunderbolts #5. Yawn.

Uncanny X-Men #2. Unexpectedly likeable.

I also read SSM #5 and it was the best one yet imp.

And UXMen 3 was great!

Just finished Avengers Arena #1-6 and what a unexpectedly fun and enjoyable read. Only familiar with a handful of the characters, and althought the art is a little uneven and mediocre the writing and characters make up for that shortcoming.

Just finished Avengers Arena #1-6 and what a unexpectedly fun and enjoyable read. Only familiar with a handful of the characters, and althought the art is a little uneven and mediocre the writing and characters make up for that shortcoming.

I've yet to catch up with that one.

Basically Arcade, the lame X-Men villain kidnaps a bunch of young heroes, and they have to go all hunger games on each other to survive. Wasn't expecting much out of it so I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

Aha, you're finally a fan of Alpha. :whistle:

I give every book six issues before I form a definitive opinion.

I give every book six issues before I form a definitive opinion.

Given that its Marvel I'm surprised it gets to issue 6 before getting rebooted back to 1 :whistle:

Basically Arcade, the lame X-Men villain kidnaps a bunch of young heroes, and they have to go all hunger games on each other to survive. Wasn't expecting much out of it so I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

I commend you for being able to like that book. I really think it's quite horrible. I am buying it because X-23 is in there - and it's patently shameful how Marvel has not been able to use her like she was being utilized just a few years ago in X-Force.

I am continually worried about the book being cancelled and X-23 being relegated to "guest star" status - so I'm hoping others like the book and keep it going with sales.

However, I am just getting into Captain Marvel, which is actually a great read - it's surprisingly well-written and engaging. I have always gone back and forth with the Carol Danvers character, but this iteration really does it for me.

A+X #6. A surprisingly fun issue as some superheroes play cards.

Age of Ultron #1-#5. Alternate time line, Alternate Earth – don’t know what this is but it’s an excellent read.

All New X-Men #9 & #10. Started off so well but now just plodding along.

Alpha Big Time #2 & #3. Dull teenage angst.

Avengers #8 & #9. Overblown nonsense. How many times will Marvel dust off the New Universe before realising it’s rubbish.

Avenging Spider-Man #18-#19. Whisper it quietly – Otto makes a better Spidey than Pete.

Fantastic Four #5, #6, #5AU. This series is picking up after a slow start.

Fearless Defenders #2 & #3. Entertaining.

Otto makes a better Spidey than Pete.

:o

I'm enjoying it for what it is and agree.

I also think that once this Freaky Friday tangent is over that we'll have an interesting reset in the relationship between the two characters. Hopefully we'll also get an Ock that's more universally connected within the MU - I've liked when he's been done well in other series like Byrne's FF miscarriage issue as well as a recent Iron Man stint...

:popcorn:

All New X-Men #9 & #10. Started off so well but now just plodding along.

Started out with a great premise, but by issue #10 - all it has reallly been is discussing mutant politics, with a couple pages of action. I really, really like the concept - but man - where is the action?

They set up interesting tension points (Cyclops/Wolverine and Jean Grey entering Angel's mind to shut him up, Mags working Shield) and then it's seemingly forgotten or ignored as the story goes on.

Right now, it's just constant repeating of Cyclops justifying what he's doing at least once per issue - and I'll still pick it up, but it's getting boring.