• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay question...how should I proceed.

26 posts in this topic

I've been selling on eBay for years without incident and have never had a problem with items getting damaged during shipping. I take great pains to pack all comics I ship out securely, as if I'm sending them into CGC for grading.

Anyway, in the last two days, I've had buyers complain about damaged items. Both packages were secured with my usual degree of care and they both happened to be shipped through USPS on the same day. The most recent complaint states that the box was crushed, and everything inside was damaged. Of course, I didn't insure either of these packages because the merchandise wasn't particularly pricey.

I don't offer a return policy on eBay, but I did offer a refund to the first buyer who said he received damaged items. As for the second complaint that I received today, he's indicating that the box was smashed up pretty good. Now, if that's the case, I see that as poor handling by USPS, because if they crushed the box, then no matter how secure my packaging was, things are going to get damaged.

Do I have a leg to stand on if I say I'm not responsible for items damaged by USPS? Or do I have a negative and an eBay case in future?

In my experience ebay will hold you at full responsibility for any damage during shipping.

Any argument about it being caused by USPS will result in "you should have purchased insurance."

Ebay isnt particularly sympathetic to sellers.

Ugh. That's what I figured. I guess this is lesson learned and from now on I'll insure everything I ship out.

I can see it from the buyers side, because I've received my fair share of damaged items on eBay, but those are almost always from shoddy packaging.

In this case, it seems like USPS just beat the hell out of the box for no reason, and I'm going to end up paying the price.

At my local post office, I have a guy who, after you pay for postage, literally takes the package and tosses it over his shoulder into the sack. It's about a 5 foot backwards toss. He's done it to a few of my packages. Nothing particularly expensive (and uninsured) but has done it. Finally, I asked him not to chuck it...he, of course, just glared at me.

With the job market the way it is, let alone postal employees getting downsized, he should be instantly fired.

The answer to your question lies in the eBay user agreement you 'agreed' to when you joined. You are responsible for the item you sold getting to the buyer in the condition stated. Years ago eBay 'dropped' the insurance optional charge and now requires all sellers to guarantee the item through postal insurance or through their own 'self insurance.' This is an assumed cost of doing business on the site. You would be liable in this case and according to the user agreements put forth by both eBay and paypal, you do not have a case.

I am sorry, but look at it from the buyer's side. I am a PowerSeller and a member of PayPal Advantage. I can tell you that if you do a lot of business through eBay and paypal, paypal may split or cover the full cost for you. Keep in mind though you really have to do a lot of business with them for them to even consider this.

Respectfully,

'mint'

We have shipped thousands of packages and it's crazy...the last 2 weeks I have had 6 people email me about damaged books. I'm not saying we're perfect,but it's rare that we get a complaint about damaged books.

Always package your books using the "throw it at the wall test" If your box would survive the hard throw into a wall then you did a good job.

Case in point:

I just spent $250 on a slabbed book. The seller wrapped it in bubble wrap and then put it in a soft mailer sleeve. Then I had to contact the buyer to get a partial refund because the plastic casing of the CGC case was all cracked and I needed to resubmit it. The seller (in his mind) packaged it well. In a perfect world the USPS would not have handled it as such. He needed to have had it boxed. I pretty much demanded a partial refund and I received my partial refund and the book is in Florida getting reslabbed.

Moral of the story... do not trust any shipping service to "love" your items the way you and the buyer do. Assume the worst.

I'm currently dealing with the same situation. I sold a Incredible Hulk 181 w/o the Marvel Value Stamp for $250. I ship everything via UPS ground as I own a UPS Store. The buyer is saying the mailer and cardboard is folded completely in half and the comic has a huge crease. Everything through UPS is automatically insured for a certain amount. I'm making the buyer take pictures of the damaged book, mailer, cardboard and any other contents. I have a strong feeling this buyer bought this book w/o reading the stamp was missing and is trying to pull a fast one on me. Mainly due to his wording in his message like "investment", when we all know buying a 181 w/o the stamp isn't an investment at all. So, I'm starting the claim process w/ UPS and they will send an inspector out to his/her house and get to the bottom of it.

I just want to clarify to everyone that my $250 book is not Chad's $250 sale. My $250 purchase (annoyance of shattered case) was an Amazing Spider-man 41.

I'm currently dealing with the same situation. I sold a Incredible Hulk 181 w/o the Marvel Value Stamp for $250. I ship everything via UPS ground as I own a UPS Store. The buyer is saying the mailer and cardboard is folded completely in half and the comic has a huge crease. Everything through UPS is automatically insured for a certain amount. I'm making the buyer take pictures of the damaged book, mailer, cardboard and any other contents. I have a strong feeling this buyer bought this book w/o reading the stamp was missing and is trying to pull a fast one on me. Mainly due to his wording in his message like "investment", when we all know buying a 181 w/o the stamp isn't an investment at all. So, I'm starting the claim process w/ UPS and they will send an inspector out to his/her house and get to the bottom of it.

At my local post office, I have a guy who, after you pay for postage, literally takes the package and tosses it over his shoulder into the sack. It's about a 5 foot backwards toss. He's done it to a few of my packages. Nothing particularly expensive (and uninsured) but has done it. Finally, I asked him not to chuck it...he, of course, just glared at me.

With the job market the way it is, let alone postal employees getting downsized, he should be instantly fired.

I once complained at my local post office depot about damage packaging.

The next few weeks everything that came was damaged, I think on purpose.

Eventually went back down and asked to speak to the manager who said he would look into it and it settled down. I still have a go at the postman from time to time though.

:frustrated:

I just want to clarify to everyone that my $250 book is not Chad's $250 sale. My $250 purchase (annoyance of shattered case) was an Amazing Spider-man 41.

Wow, I just noticed that Buzzetta. I should have clarified. I'm sorry about that. I'm escalating this to eBay customer service. I'm sick and tired of buyers ripping off sellers because they either don't read descriptions or think everything is convenient for them. The seller has started a eBay case and still hasn't sent me pictures of the item. I deal with this everyday as far as claims, faulty claims, and shipping miscues. This guy is going down for this. Also, this same book sold for $750 and $500 before this and I was stiffed on the payment both times. Yes, I know the marvel stamp is missing and I certainly wouldn't pay that for it but it was an auction and it's clearly stated. Some people kill me. /end rant :censored:

Refund in full and ask for the goods back. (thumbs u

+1

It sucks when items get damaged during shipping, but, ultimately, it's the seller's responsibility to ensure that the buyer gets what they paid for.

Well, it's a $250 "investment" for that person I suppose. Not that long ago a 181 missing a stamp was a $50 book.

I've been receiving a lot of hammered packages from USPS lately (the past 6 months). Most have been undamaged, some have been damaged and I lived with it, and two were damaged to the point I had to say something. Seller took care of me both times, which is great.

If they hadn't - I'm not sure what I would have done. But I do expect to buy an item and have it arrived undamaged. It's not the consumers responsibility to make sure that USPS doesn't damage purchased goods.

Good luck!

Just received a smashed package from Heritage. Luckily Amazing Spider-man 52 8.5 arrived just fine due to their sense of using an obscene amount of bubble wrap.