• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Hulk #181 A Good Deal???

17 posts in this topic

shy.gif

but WHAT does that mean?!?!?! wink.gif

eb_3.JPG

Structurally....the book looks to be in nice shape for $250. Nice colors. No major defects.....

It's just that the miswrap almost overpowers every other aspect of EYE APPEAL

Then again.....the QP on my copy sucks....and I paid $750 tonofbricks.gif

shy.gif

but WHAT does that mean?!?!?! wink.gif

eb_3.JPG

Structurally....the book looks to be in nice shape for $250. Nice colors. No major defects.....

Then again.....the QP on my copy sucks....and I paid $750 tonofbricks.gif

good, I feel better now. I was worried that I was going to get laughed out of here for buying it, but dammit, I really wanted one and I haven't seen a decent copy go for under $300 in a few months.

whew.

I'll post a good scan of it befroe I submit it wink.gif

good.

It seems like Hulk #181s get so far out of hand when bid on, people just trying to get a decent copy not for flipping...but to have sure do have a hard time getting one. I bid on one of these at least 10 times only to see the bidding get so far out of hand I it wasn't a good purchase and someone else won it.

...did I mention I just really wanted one to compliment my X-Men run. I have been thinking about doing the whole Wolverine run after I get my X-Men collection completely graded. thumbsup2.gif I have 80 books done, 41 in grading and a handful to go wink.gif

I have been thinking about doing the whole Wolverine run after I get my X-Men collection completely graded. thumbsup2.gif I have 80 books done, 41 in grading and a handful to go wink.gif

WOLVERINE 3 CGC 9.8 W

WOLVERINE 4 CGC 9.6 W

WOLVERINE 6 CGC 9.8 W

All these books have exceptional QP and White pages.

BID NOW!!!!

23_31_4.gif

wink.gif

How much does an overwrap take off a grade?

See here: How much does miswrap, miscut, and dust shadow affect numerical grade?

Miswraps are important, as are miscuts, but how much they affect the beauty of a book is a matter of personal opinion. Don't get suckered into believing that so-called "QP" is the most important thing about a book, because very few people in the hobby consider QP to be more important than wear. Miswraps are already factored into the numerical grade if the miswrap is visually distracting. The only question is, how much. The answer is, not much unless it is truly a horrid miswrap.

Don't get suckered into believing that so-called "QP" is the most important thing about a book, because very few people in the hobby consider QP to be more important than wear.

When did I ever say that QP is more important than wear?

Furthermore.....how is it you feel you can speak for all the people in the hobby ? confused.gif

Don't get suckered into believing that so-called "QP" is the most important thing about a book, because very few people in the hobby consider QP to be more important than wear.

When did I ever say that QP is more important than wear?

Furthermore.....how is it you feel you can speak for all the people in the hobby ? confused.gif

Believe it or not, I wasn't talking about you. You're not one of the three or four people on the boards who feels compelled to put down every NM-NM+ book he sees that has a slightly slanted miswrap.

And on the point I was making, I feel very comfortable representing what I have seen to be the predominating view among those in the hobby.

And on the point I was making, I feel very comfortable representing what I have seen to be the predominating view among those in the hobby.

Are we talking collectors or speculators ?

Sellers or buyers ?

When I'm looking to acquire a HG book for my collection......QP is a MAJOR factor.

I don't have to search very hard for structural 9.6s, but 9.6s with outstanding EYE APPEAL are few and far between.

Put it this way:

How many copies of HULK 181 are there in CGC 9.6?

Of those copies.....how many are free of production defects?

Hey Steve,

Sometimes you can catch a nice deal on lower graded CGC's as well...

The book is a good deal, but I checked eBay ending auction and I found a

CGC book of 181 in 6.0 contion going for just a few bucks more $265.

linky#1

When it comes to extremely important books I look for plastic cases because you never know who might of hammered that raw copy.

sheesh I must of been napping or I would of jumped on this,

$265 for 6.0 isn' a deal it's a steal! foreheadslap.gif