• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM back issues... help please? :)

15 posts in this topic

Im checking out this site, bobs comics

http://www.bobscomics.com/BackIssue_1.cfm?IDB=1&MyID=0

These are his back issue ASM's

I'm considering taking the advice and holding off on the spawn books, so I figured I'd go for something that I know should be a pretty good investment, Amazing Spider Man.

Ok, Im checking for back issues, and they seem to run about 4-8 dollars each on average. Would one of you be so kind as to check this out and let me know if this is a good/bad/average price for these books? Plus I don't see anywhere where the books are even estimated as far as grading. Going by the little thumbnail scan (which you can click for a slightly larger scan, if they're scans) they look in decent condition, but I'm still wary. Any advice on this would help...

Thanks again

Vince

P.S. especially the $34.82 #298 which has no pic

Thanks

Im checking out this site, bobs comics

http://www.bobscomics.com/BackIssue_1.cfm?IDB=1&MyID=0

These are his back issue ASM's

I'm considering taking the advice and holding off on the spawn books, so I figured I'd go for something that I know should be a pretty good investment, Amazing Spider Man.

Ok, Im checking for back issues, and they seem to run about 4-8 dollars each on average. Would one of you be so kind as to check this out and let me know if this is a good/bad/average price for these books? Plus I don't see anywhere where the books are even estimated as far as grading. Going by the little thumbnail scan (which you can click for a slightly larger scan, if they're scans) they look in decent condition, but I'm still wary. Any advice on this would help...

Thanks again

Vince

Hey Vince,

Check ebay for "amazing spider-man run" or "amazing spider-man lot" and you'll find some deals. Showcase New England occasionally has some great deals on Spider-Man. Joe Koch is another great seller (usually one issue at a time, though his shipping is $5.00 no matter how big your order) and you can get back issues dirt cheap from him in great shape. The best thing to do is tell him what issues you need, email him at jkcom@broadviewnet.net, and see what kind of a package deal he can sell you. Most of the books he has are uncirculated VF/NMs in great shape.

If you are at all interested in some GREAT reads, start reading Amazing Spider-Man at around issue #229 and continuing through 251. That is where Roger Stern and John Romita Jr. created what I believe is the greatest two-year period that Amazing Spider-Man has had since the silver age. And the only "expensive" comics in the bunch are ASM#238 and ASM#239. If you can't find a reasonably priced #238, PM me and I'll sell you a reader for dirt cheap.

I know I'm biased but Amazing Spider-Man #229 to 251 is better than an entire run of NM Spawns!!!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

What are you looking for?

I've got some scattered issues 350s-low 400s.

Most NM/NM+ too.

I can sell you them a whole lot cheaper than $4-$8 @. foreheadslap.gif

Q. How much have you read of ASM?

because you might want to collect from a certain era first.

Why I am bringing this out is because there is a real cheap way of getting

to know Silver and Bronze back issues.

They're called the Essential series. And don't get me wrong,

they are not going to be investments other than the fact that they are

really great cheap collaborations of the series.

These AshCan type of volumes are just a color offart wrapper with about

20-25 issues of continuity of Black and White newsprint reprintings of the actual series.

The ASM line is up to the Brand New Volume 6 and just to let you know this is one of the best ones to me. This volume reprints a classic set of ASM 114-137 which includes...

-Spidey Hammerhead Octopus series 114-115

-Spidey vs Hulk series 119-120

-Death of Gwen Stacey 121

-Death of Green Goblin 122

-Man-Wolf's first apperance 124-125

-Punisher and Jackal's first apperance 129

-Aunt Mays Bizzare Wedding to Doc Ock 131

-Tarantula's first apperance 134

-2nd Punisher 135

-2nd Green Goblin (Harry Osborne) 136-137

Plus they inlcuded three Giant Sized Reprints

Giant Sized Super Heroes #1 with Man-Wolf And Moribus

Giant Sized Spider-man #1 With Dracula

Needless to say this volume is Knock your socks off awesome for anybody that is a Spidey fan ($16.99)

I bought all of volumes 1-6 to read so I can not worry about the real issues that I own.

The only down side is that they are Black and White, but I don't care because they are soooo cheap! thumbsup2.gif

Sorry for this guys, didn't intend for this to turn into a sign-rantpost.gif !!

I'm not sure if I'm going to start collecting ASM. I was just considering it, while it may be worth it as far as investment potential, Im still kinda drawn to spawn (I didnt mean to rhyme, sorry), if only for the art. The covers on the spawn books are AWESOME, so Im still 80% in favor of getting those, but I'm still not 100%. I got some time, I'm supposed to go pick up the books and make payments after June 12th.

I'm kinda torn between the ability to read a series from #1 - whatever its up to or ended with, and a proper investment. But the art is what really draws me to spawn, wether they're worth it or not. I'm still learning and my budget is pretty limited, so while I may start to collect old golden/silver/bronze age comics, chances are greater than not that I will never complete these collections, as the prices on some of these books are well beyond my means, which is why I've been looking more towards moderns (such as spawn and witchblade), which intrigue me with their storylines and art rather than their potential value as an investment.

Also, at this early stage of my collecting life, quality quantity, such as 83 nm spawn books, beats out a single book I pay $120 for. I'm sure down the road, once I start getting a nice collection of books going (by nice I mean alot of what I like), I might start collecting older issues of books such as ASM, or maybe just start buying the new ones as they come out and slowly work my way into getting back issues and filling up my collection.

Theres so much out there, I'd be lost in utter confusion and indecision if I didnt pick a path and stick to it. While it's ok to get off track a little, buying a few of these and a couple of those and so forth, I still want to have a main objective and goal, such as getting the entire run of Spawns.

As far as my collecting goes, it'll be more a love of the art and the stories than a love of how much it might be worth in 30 years. Sure I'd like to buy a book for a few dollars and find out it might one day be worth hundreds, but if I buy a book because the story is great, and the art is superb and I enjoy it, well thats what a hobby is. I never intended to get rich from collecting comics, way too late in the game for that (imho), so instead I'll collect for the love of it.

As far as my collecting goes, it'll be more a love of the art and the stories than a love of how much it might be worth in 30 years. Sure I'd like to buy a book for a few dollars and find out it might one day be worth hundreds, but if I buy a book because the story is great, and the art is superb and I enjoy it, well thats what a hobby is. I never intended to get rich from collecting comics, way too late in the game for that (imho), so instead I'll collect for the love of it.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Buy what you like, and that's always be a good investment.

Just my opinion after reading your posts: Buy the Spawn run!

The way you talk about the books shows that you really like and want them. If you get a good deal it seems worth it to get them for yourself. If you really are going to collect what you like, it sounds to me like you pretty much made up your mind already.

BTW WTTB! hi.gif

I got some time, I'm supposed to go pick up the books and make payments after June 12th.

Spawn will rot your brain. smile.gif

If it will help you make the right decision I will give you a NM Spawn #1 if you don't buy them. In fact I bet that you could get all of the issues you need for free just from people on this board.

For $120 you can buy 120 issues of Spider-Man. They may not be the pretty, glossy books you get from Spawn but you will definately enjoy them.

I got some time, I'm supposed to go pick up the books and make payments after June 12th.

Spawn will rot your brain. smile.gif

If it will help you make the right decision I will give you a NM Spawn #1 if you don't buy them. In fact I bet that you could get all of the issues you need for free just from people on this board.

For $120 you can buy 120 issues of Spider-Man. They may not be the pretty, glossy books you get from Spawn but you will definately enjoy them.

If you get me 1-83 for free, I'll be more than happy to spend my 120 bucks on 120 spider mans devil.gif

I got this deal from e-bay, its an auction I won, but the guy is actually missing a book, #79 I think, so he gave me the option of taking 3 bucks off the price or opting out of the auction. I WANT these books, I don't necessarily WANT to pay $120 for them, believe me I really REALLY don't. But like I stated in another post, I have no nearby LCS that I can just pop in, buy 20 back issues for 10 bucks and go home happy. My buying is limited to e-bay and the internet for the most part, so if any of you can offer up a better deal, by all means please do so!! If not, I'm gonna be forced to pay a little more for what I want because of its availability to me.

Vince