• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Modern Collector

77 posts in this topic

There is no one but me that has been buying multiples of the Walking Dead at my LCS over the last five years. I dont see anybody grabbing multiples of any books when i pick mine up. Am i happy to have picked up what looks like the Modern (Dead) Age Key at cover price? Yes. I am not sure of the surviving copies of AF #15 floating around but it seems like there are thousands of them as well. The higher the prices the more come out. The print runs are so far away from the Valiant boom i dont see where the harm is going to come from. What i personally see is a lot of new readers excited about comics. I may be wrong but i think thats neat. And for our hobby to survive we need new readers no matter what brings them in. I have a feeling this will be the best Free Comic Book day the retailers have ever seen. The smart ones will benefit tremendously.

It is the best time to be reading modern comics in the history of comics.

I would most certainly disagree with that, but I do agree that the amount of interesting reading material over the last few years has made it a lot more enjoyable.

When was the best time to read comics in your opinion?

Most of the Eighties.

I think that was a great time for comics but I also think we're on par with that today. Except in the mainstream department. I really think Marvel and DC super hero comics have gotten too stupid for me to even read a synopsis without laughing. So factoring that in I'd say the 80's were probably better. Discounting the capes (since I don't read them) I'd say it's a very exciting time right now with the premium collections being put out as well as the standard of quality of indy publishers and the variety of genres being represented. I still buy more Copper Age comics than anything else but if I had more time and more money I'd spend SO MUCH MONEY on stuff being released every month. A lot of it would be reprint volumes though...

+1. The 80's were my hayday, I'm not a big superhero fan. But those times were fun for everyone. I must say though that the writing now is a amazing, the stories are as gripping as any novel. The quality of modern comics is superb but Im not sold on the computer generated art in some of the books.

It is the best time to be reading modern comics in the history of comics. Comics have never enjoyed the large number of quality stories and outstanding arts that we are given the opportunity to enjoy each month. The New 52 was an amazing sucess. Image is putting out a lot of great books and a number of really good books. The Ultimate line from marvel is strong. Vertigo keeps putting out great books. Dark Horse is putting out great books. Boom has a couple titles that I've enjoyed. Oni Press has put out some quality books. I couldn't be happier with the state of comics. Speculation is a threat to any industry without fixed prices and its something that the industry has learned to deal with. I'm a little frightened by some of the trends I've seen recently, but every month I pick up Previews I'm excited by something new. When someone tells me they are just getting back into comics and asks me what they should pick up, I don't even know where to start there's so much good stuff being produced. Frankly things are so good right now it almost makes me nervous.

:shy: Hiyo!

Sure, in general you probably excited, but your going slightly way over-board in some cases... DC Entertainment's New52, a success? Trashing 100 years of continuity under the premise that your company ran in a writer's road-block and also the themes so far or recent has not mesh with todays/real-world theme is utter garbage. Marvel... if you like Marvel, then they are doing awesome in your viewpoint and it is pointless to differ otherwise. Dark Horse and all the other have benefited from two reasons... draft of new inductees from patents on old characters and titles hitting there expiration-date and the contractual-rogue workforce which pit writers/artist dipping and dapping everywhere in the industry. To me... industry of comics right now is in flux and suffering from a true lack of continuity and cost issues that every-week they are trying to siphon and bleed comic-stores with the interest of hobby to collect the variants of there trending-hot artist/inker.

Lets just put it like this... for those who watch/loved the recent Batman movies; they notice that there are many more who do not know continuity that saw and loved that movie and are truly willing to sell how it was and to go see to other non-continuity knowers, then there are those who do know the continuity; but if you make the continuity no longer relevant and there not too much of a revolt... then it no longer matters movie-wise.

These fly by night speculators add to the excitement and I don't see how that is a bad thing. Those of us who collect moderns can simply sit back and ride the wave.
...and unfortunately pay a high price for a over-hyped book that was front-loaded into our subconcious for the almighty buck. I'm a believer in a more gradual effect myself. I'm a big fan of hearing how someone just finding out about a book saying how it came from nowhere, when it's been out for years. You see this possibly (I'm still unsure if this is manufactured fan boy speculation hype- we aren't seeing a whole lot of new faces around here holding up TWD CGC slabs) with the mainstream right now with TWD, I wanna see this more in our group with books with legs than books a week or so old.

I really have to disagree. There are a multitude of new titles/creators to be had for cover through previews and often again for cover a week or so after the hype. This is the majority of titles. Some of these titles I credit as being available because of the speculators. The more money in the system then the more opportunities.

There is not much more money in the system, other then what Warner Bros. and Disney willing to put-up in order for some turn-around in there favor then the industry itself. Mostly that cost or investment is in the trending-artist/writer with these contract-workings. Even [The Walking Dead] is not saved from this... speculation is what gave that title a chance and especially on/for the writer on the title. Reminds me of the [Pax Romada]... highly toted, but once I read it; I truly found it seriously incomplete, lacking, simple-minded, and I wanted to pop the people across there heads for tricking my sis into buying the trade paperback. I could name off many more, but then I would have to dig through my sister's collection, because I lack the care to try and remember them all completely off the top of my head.

The New 52 introduced me and my wife to comics, and since we have branched out to Image and Vertigo titles. So I am very grateful for it!

DC Entertainment's New52 announcement introduced me to an Emergency Room of my local Cuyahoga County Hospital after I started punching random furniture and then repeatedly my walls until my hands bleed and yelling, "I will never buy another damn DC or any of there subsidiaries comics nor will I see any of there iteration-movies, ever!"

My neighbor was the one who called the ambulance for me when he came over to see what was all the noise.

They murder 100 years of continuity... origins and creations of characters that DC Comics, now DC Entertainment, do not truly own or have creative-intellectual property-rights to; I will never forgive them and Warner Bros.!

Even [The Walking Dead] is not saved from this... speculation is what gave that title a chance and especially on/for the writer on the title.

Completely incorrect.

What gave WD a chance was the fact that it has been a good, consistent comic book for nearly 9 years. The fervor you see now was not there in the beginning, and no one was buying the title from #1 because of a then little-known Kirkman.

Sure, in general you probably excited, but your going slightly way over-board in some cases... DC Entertainment's New52, a success? Trashing 100 years of continuity under the premise that your company ran in a writer's road-block and also the themes so far or recent has not mesh with todays/real-world theme is utter garbage.

Your agenda seems to be to deride DC's direction with the new 52, more than to debate the point at hand.

What makes this such a great time to be reading comics has little to do with DC, or Marvel for the most part. Much of the creativity is arising from Image, IDW, Dynamite, BOOM and the other growing indy companies.

And your continuity complaint? Give me a break. DC has never done this before? Continuity has been screwed with since Crisis in 1986. No matter what you think, the new 52 has brought new and lapsed readers into the hobby. That's a good thing.

Sure, in general you probably excited, but your going slightly way over-board in some cases... DC Entertainment's New52, a success? Trashing 100 years of continuity under the premise that your company ran in a writer's road-block and also the themes so far or recent has not mesh with todays/real-world theme is utter garbage.

Your agenda seems to be to deride DC's direction with the new 52, more than to debate the point at hand.

What makes this such a great time to be reading comics has little to do with DC, or Marvel for the most part. Much of the creativity is arising from Image, IDW, Dynamite, BOOM and the other growing indy companies.

And your continuity complaint? Give me a break. DC has never done this before? Continuity has been screwed with since Crisis in 1986. No matter what you think, the new 52 has brought new and lapsed readers into the hobby. That's a good thing.

I have no agenda, but I do not just "go with the flow" and play ignorant to the what machinations was set in motion since they appointed that chick who blew a large-hole in the pocket-book of investors in the Harry Potter movies and had a -match with the author about her book-releases to be in time with wanted project movie-releases... especially since [The Watchmen] movie.

Creativity arising from Image, IDW, Dynamite, and etc... listen; Image arising may come from the bases by which the others have also... contract-assignments that the industry is fully flux on with writers/artist not tied to just one, but everywhere. Back in the day... they were tied to the company for a while, heck of a lot longer then nowadays. Also the draft of new patents each of the companies stated bought-up... bigger winner would be [Dynamite Entertainment]. Got give IDW props for snagging Stephen King's son, plus with him they can sell the company to get more trending or top-rogues to bump out more titles and hopefully good titles.

My point is not to flatly-state... I do try to elaborate, if possible with my memory, but as I said, "It is slightly interesting age, but not much beyond that..."

P.S.

Yeah, your new lapse readers will allow Marvel/Disney and DC/Warner Bros. to push the envelope on more garbage super-hero comic-movies... :slapfight:

Even [The Walking Dead] is not saved from this... speculation is what gave that title a chance and especially on/for the writer on the title.

Completely incorrect.

What gave WD a chance was the fact that it has been a good, consistent comic book for nearly 9 years. The fervor you see now was not there in the beginning, and no one was buying the title from #1 because of a then little-known Kirkman.

Your definition of good is highly speculative... reason why [Walking Dead] was given a chance.

These fly by night speculators add to the excitement and I don't see how that is a bad thing. Those of us who collect moderns can simply sit back and ride the wave.
...and unfortunately pay a high price for a over-hyped book that was front-loaded into our subconcious for the almighty buck. I'm a believer in a more gradual effect myself. I'm a big fan of hearing how someone just finding out about a book saying how it came from nowhere, when it's been out for years. You see this possibly (I'm still unsure if this is manufactured fan boy speculation hype- we aren't seeing a whole lot of new faces around here holding up TWD CGC slabs) with the mainstream right now with TWD, I wanna see this more in our group with books with legs than books a week or so old.

I really have to disagree. There are a multitude of new titles/creators to be had for cover through previews and often again for cover a week or so after the hype. This is the majority of titles. Some of these titles I credit as being available because of the speculators. The more money in the system then the more opportunities.

There is not much more money in the system, other then what Warner Bros. and Disney willing to put-up in order for some turn-around in there favor then the industry itself. Mostly that cost or investment is in the trending-artist/writer with these contract-workings. Even [The Walking Dead] is not saved from this... speculation is what gave that title a chance and especially on/for the writer on the title. Reminds me of the [Pax Romada]... highly toted, but once I read it; I truly found it seriously incomplete, lacking, simple-minded, and I wanted to pop the people across there heads for tricking my sis into buying the trade paperback. I could name off many more, but then I would have to dig through my sister's collection, because I lack the care to try and remember them all completely off the top of my head.

Incorrect but thanks for playing. :whatev:

Completely incorrect.

Your definition of good is highly speculative... reason why [Walking Dead] was given a chance.

Of course speculation gave the comic a chance. ANY new title survives by 1st being given a chance. This was my point earlier that you refuted. Are you getting dizzy talking in so many circles? :ohnoez:

Completely incorrect.

Don't take my word for it. Reference the fact the property was adapted for television. Reference the fact this board has generated a near-1000 page thread on the title. Reference the fact the tpb's sell well enough in bookstores to be on display racks. (shrug)

I have no agenda, but I do not just "go with the flow" and play ignorant to the what machinations was set in motion since they appointed that chick who blew a large-hole in the pocket-book of investors in the Harry Potter movies and had a -match with the author about her book-releases to be in time with wanted project movie-releases... especially since [The Watchmen] movie.

READ: I have no agenda... err... wait...now that I think about it, I DO have an agenda... let me rant a little bit more... lol

Creativity arising from Image, IDW, Dynamite, and etc... listen; Image arising may come from the bases by which the others have also... contract-assignments that the industry is fully flux on with writers/artist not tied to just one, but everywhere.

I'm going to have to insist you restrict your debating to the English language. ;)

READ: I have no agenda... err... wait...now that I think about it, I DO have an agenda... let me rant a little bit more... lol

Creativity arising from Image, IDW, Dynamite, and etc... listen; Image arising may come from the bases by which the others have also... contract-assignments that the industry is fully flux on with writers/artist not tied to just one, but everywhere.

I'm going to have to insist you restrict your debating to the English language. ;)

(Sigh)... my opinion/perspective on the New52 is my opinion alone and my only reason for stated it was to show in fact my degradations for it, but still acknowledging those that it does and has appealed to otherwise.

(Stay calm)... Image, IDW, Dynamite and others have risen in appeal and seem to even gives the Big-Two some competition. I do not debunk that they have enjoy some success, especially since a lot of it goes them acquiring writers/artist with the contractual-circumstances of today which allows writer/artist to stretch there legs and not be held down to one company to pay-out, but now they are on multitude of titles/series whether on-going, mini, one-shots which the "lesser of the Big-Two benefits". Also have to give credit to the lessers and Big-Two acquiring new character-patents to be drafted in public-storage to be picked-up. Dynamite especially benefited, though they do a lot of reprints.

Comic industry looks healthy... thriving, to some, but I wonder for hobby that pushes for the variants that all the companies teases the hobby with that strangles the Comic-shops to buy more than what is there local or general-customer base for these incentive-items that force the shops to then sell at one serious marked-up cost on the hobby, though still drowning under all the extras. Though if the shop caves under the pressure and purchase only what will sell and how much she can only sell, then two predicaments could spawn forth...

Lack of stock, lack of customers... forced to unload upon another shop, until there ultimate-demise

If too many stores conform to this act of buying only what they can sell and care less for the variant that the hobby clamors for... cost being more than demand to which relations with the industry and Diamond who delivers comics to the shop-fronts will be even more rockier! There may even be push-back to undermine Diamond with industry taking on the cost to directly-ship to customers...

See where I go from here? I can even start conjecture about the download-direction of comics and so on...

This was what I was indicating... Modern Age is slightly interesting, but not so much more than that.

(Stay calm)... Image, IDW, Dynamite and others have risen in appeal and seem to even gives the Big-Two some competition. I do not debunk that they have enjoy some success, especially since a lot of it goes them acquiring writers/artist with the contractual-circumstances of today which allows writer/artist to stretch there legs and not be held down to one company to pay-out, but now they are on multitude of titles/series whether on-going, mini, one-shots which the "lesser of the Big-Two benefits". Also have to give credit to the lessers and Big-Two acquiring new character-patents to be drafted in public-storage to be picked-up. Dynamite especially benefited, though they do a lot of reprints.

Comic industry looks healthy... thriving, to some, but I wonder for hobby that pushes for the variants that all the companies teases the hobby with that strangles the Comic-shops to buy more than what is there local or general-customer base for these incentive-items that force the shops to then sell at one serious marked-up cost on the hobby, though still drowning under all the extras. Though if the shop caves under the pressure and purchase only what will sell and how much she can only sell, then two predicaments could spawn forth...

Lack of stock, lack of customers... forced to unload upon another shop, until there ultimate-demise

If too many stores conform to this act of buying only what they can sell and care less for the variant that the hobby clamors for... cost being more than demand to which relations with the industry and Diamond who delivers comics to the shop-fronts will be even more rockier! There may even be push-back to undermine Diamond with industry taking on the cost to directly-ship to customers...

See where I go from here? I can even start conjecture about the download-direction of comics and so on...

This was what I was indicating... Modern Age is slightly interesting, but not so much more than that.

Does any of this reflect whether it's a good time to be reading moderns?

“In the land of Gibberish, the man who makes sense, the man who speaks clearly, clearly speaks nonsense.
”

― Jarod Kintz

I'd like to take you to lunch. Friday ok?