• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Modern Collector

77 posts in this topic

“In the land of Gibberish, the man who makes sense, the man who speaks clearly, clearly speaks nonsense.
”

― Jarod Kintz

I'd like to take you to lunch. Friday ok?

I'll buy drinks. :grin:

Chicago about 2?

Thought you were speaking figuratively. :blush:lol

I'm not headed to C2E2... wish I was.

Pencil me in for the drink tab at a future con. (thumbs u

It is the best time to be reading modern comics in the history of comics.

Sure, in general you probably excited, but your going slightly way over-board in some cases... DC Entertainment's New52, a success? Trashing 100 years of continuity under the premise that your company ran in a writer's road-block and also the themes so far or recent has not mesh with todays/real-world theme is utter garbage.

Your agenda seems to be to deride DC's direction with the new 52, more than to debate the point at hand.

What makes this such a great time to be reading comics has little to do with DC, or Marvel for the most part. Much of the creativity is arising from Image, IDW, Dynamite, BOOM and the other growing indy companies.

And your continuity complaint? Give me a break. DC has never done this before? Continuity has been screwed with since Crisis in 1986. No matter what you think, the new 52 has brought new and lapsed readers into the hobby. That's a good thing.

Well said :applause:

Sure, in general you probably excited, but your going slightly way over-board in some cases... DC Entertainment's New52, a success? Trashing 100 years of continuity under the premise that your company ran in a writer's road-block and also the themes so far or recent has not mesh with todays/real-world theme is utter garbage.

Your agenda seems to be to deride DC's direction with the new 52, more than to debate the point at hand.

What makes this such a great time to be reading comics has little to do with DC, or Marvel for the most part. Much of the creativity is arising from Image, IDW, Dynamite, BOOM and the other growing indy companies.

And your continuity complaint? Give me a break. DC has never done this before? Continuity has been screwed with since Crisis in 1986. No matter what you think, the new 52 has brought new and lapsed readers into the hobby. That's a good thing.

I have no agenda, but I do not just "go with the flow" and play ignorant to the what machinations was set in motion since they appointed that chick who blew a large-hole in the pocket-book of investors in the Harry Potter movies and had a -match with the author about her book-releases to be in time with wanted project movie-releases... especially since [The Watchmen] movie.

READ: I have no agenda... err... wait...now that I think about it, I DO have an agenda... let me rant a little bit more... lol

Creativity arising from Image, IDW, Dynamite, and etc... listen; Image arising may come from the bases by which the others have also... contract-assignments that the industry is fully flux on with writers/artist not tied to just one, but everywhere.

I'm going to have to insist you restrict your debating to the English language. ;)

:shy: Hiyo!

(Sigh)... my opinion/perspective on the New52 is my opinion alone and my only reason for stated it was to show in fact my degradations for it, but still acknowledging those that it does and has appealed to otherwise.

(Stay calm)... Image, IDW, Dynamite and others have risen in appeal and seem to even gives the Big-Two some competition. I do not debunk that they have enjoy some success, especially since a lot of it goes them acquiring writers/artist with the contractual-circumstances of today which allows writer/artist to stretch there legs and not be held down to one company to pay-out, but now they are on multitude of titles/series whether on-going, mini, one-shots which the "lesser of the Big-Two benefits". Also have to give credit to the lessers and Big-Two acquiring new character-patents to be drafted in public-storage to be picked-up. Dynamite especially benefited, though they do a lot of reprints.

Comic industry looks healthy... thriving, to some, but I wonder for hobby that pushes for the variants that all the companies teases the hobby with that strangles the Comic-shops to buy more than what is there local or general-customer base for these incentive-items that force the shops to then sell at one serious marked-up cost on the hobby, though still drowning under all the extras. Though if the shop caves under the pressure and purchase only what will sell and how much she can only sell, then two predicaments could spawn forth...

Lack of stock, lack of customers... forced to unload upon another shop, until there ultimate-demise

If too many stores conform to this act of buying only what they can sell and care less for the variant that the hobby clamors for... cost being more than demand to which relations with the industry and Diamond who delivers comics to the shop-fronts will be even more rockier! There may even be push-back to undermine Diamond with industry taking on the cost to directly-ship to customers...

See where I go from here? I can even start conjecture about the download-direction of comics and so on...

This was what I was indicating... Modern Age is slightly interesting, but not so much more than that.

Holy mess

Did anyone else lose interest halfway through this rant? :screwy:

Continuity was not screwed with, but moreover... evolved. Sure Crisis-event did spawn countless spin-off series-titles, origins, and origins re-tellings during the build-up and once it launched with introductions of new characters as well as the character-iterations relating to multiple-earths dimensions as quickly as they soon in turn ended them to lie dormant until later. Though to look at continuity in retrospect is a bit arrogant... you have to take into account how in which how and when the books were released, because if you even take account fan-mailings for the issues... continuity is not so much the dominate-tone when the books released, then to how the hobby has since looked as the titles, specials, and etc in retrospect.

Just picking up Crisis on Infinite Earths did not give nor show all of the circumstances and built-up momentum to know completely exact how all things unfolded... this has been the trademark of DC Comics; there is no one book to learn it all... got to read them all or at least the majority.

Continuity may have looked to have been fudged in hindsight, but to think that was the situation during which the books was released long ago... is an over-stretch.

Continuity was not screwed with, but moreover... evolved. Sure Crisis-event did spawn countless spin-off series-titles, origins, and origins re-tellings during the build-up and once it launched with introductions of new characters as well as the character-iterations relating to multiple-earths dimensions as quickly as they soon in turn ended them to lie dormant until later. Though to look at continuity in retrospect is a bit arrogant... you have to take into account how in which how and when the books were released, because if you even take account fan-mailings for the issues... continuity is not so much the dominate-tone when the books released, then to how the hobby has since looked as the titles, specials, and etc in retrospect.

Just picking up Crisis on Infinite Earths did not give nor show all of the circumstances and built-up momentum to know completely exact how all things unfolded... this has been the trademark of DC Comics; there is no one book to learn it all... got to read them all or at least the majority.

Continuity may have looked to have been fudged in hindsight, but to think that was the situation during which the books was released long ago... is an over-stretch.

I have no idea what you're trying say here, but continuity within the DC universe has been altered numerous times.

Continuity was not screwed with, but moreover... evolved.

It doesn't take hindsight to see that the complete elimination of the Superboy canon was just 'fudging' in 1987.

Superboy continuity evolved? Like the dinosaurs evolved after that big meteor hit? lol

Somebody is drinking his own koolaid. :screwy: Appropriate avatar.

He does have an amazing talent for making me tired. I'll try a sentence or 2 at bedtime.

I have no idea what you're trying say here, but continuity within the DC universe has been altered numerous times.

I don't think he's talking about continuity. He's talking about the little number on the cover of Action comics. That number in the top left corner is what makes a comic good. Not writing and original ideas. That's just what they want you to think! They trick you into thinking things like Persepolis is good when the reality is Superboy isn't even in Persepolis so it can't be good :shy:

Continuity was not screwed with, but moreover... evolved.

It doesn't take hindsight to see that the complete elimination of the Superboy canon was just 'fudging' in 1987.

Superboy continuity evolved? Like the dinosaurs evolved after that big meteor hit? lol

:insane: Hiyo!

Superboy was made in part to Action Comics' Superman and other title that featured him... sure did they acknowledge every-bit introduced in a the Superboy apart of Superman, nope, but they did acknowledge some for the Legion of Super-heroes and other iterations from, but later. I am not extremely familiar with all details from Superboy, but even so... when Grant Morrison was digging-up skeletons of "one and done" stories from Batman-title's past; you think they could not have giving the same treatment in Superman/Action if given the opportunity? They did the same for Green Lantern series with reexamining Hal Jordan origin... especially in relations to woman who would join Violet; even though it was a given for Hal's past would have alter a bit in case of the events pertaining to him.

Somebody is drinking his own koolaid. :screwy: Appropriate avatar.

He does have an amazing talent for making me tired. I'll try a sentence or 2 at bedtime.

:insane: Hiyo!

I am not by nature some sort of journalist... so my typed-statements seem little more winded then needed; as my avatar would suggest... in death, we all speak the same.