• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Modern Collector

77 posts in this topic

Dead

:insane: Hiyo!

Not necessarily... though; DC Comics is now dead, but does not mean it cannot be exploited and reborn as some homunculus calling itself, DC Entertainment... that so many have embraced in the aftermath of continuity long defined, but murdered to emulate Marvel.

P.S.

Maybe soon our lesser-companies will rise up like a version of the brothers from Full-Metal Alchemist to find the philosopher Stone and put-down these empty-dead bodies with demon-souls walking around referring to themselves as DC/Marvel...

... we can only hope.

I really hope you don't plan on driving anytime soon.

:insane: Hiyo!

You have some sort of premonition about me?

Anyways... I acknowledge how some would consider this age to be exciting, but it is only exciting if you ignored the machinations that lead to this sort-of resurgency and who in spite have been negatively impacted.

If you actively strive to see, hear, or say no evil exist... probably seems like comic-heaven these days.

but surely some small percentage of the bandwagon will realize they actually enjoy the product they're holding and perhaps start to enjoy the hobby for fun instead of profit.

Unfortunately we are talking about a small percentage of an already small audience. Figure these hot Image books have 20-30,000 copies (most of the time even less). It's clear the current speculation going on is not going to lead anywhere good for the comic industry. Not an exact repeat of the 90s, but definitely another correct for modern comics is coming.

It is the best time to be reading modern comics in the history of comics. Comics have never enjoyed the large number of quality stories and outstanding arts that we are given the opportunity to enjoy each month. The New 52 was an amazing sucess. Image is putting out a lot of great books and a number of really good books. The Ultimate line from marvel is strong. Vertigo keeps putting out great books. Dark Horse is putting out great books. Boom has a couple titles that I've enjoyed. Oni Press has put out some quality books. I couldn't be happier with the state of comics. Speculation is a threat to any industry without fixed prices and its something that the industry has learned to deal with. I'm a little frightened by some of the trends I've seen recently, but every month I pick up Previews I'm excited by something new. When someone tells me they are just getting back into comics and asks me what they should pick up, I don't even know where to start there's so much good stuff being produced. Frankly things are so good right now it almost makes me nervous.

This I agree with 100%.

Even if people are "speculating" too much for your tastes, I haven't heard reports of people coming into lcs's and buying/ordering 50 copies of the newest #1's. Tha'ts what was going on 20 years ago. It seems that even today's speculator isn't putting a lot into buying more than 5 copies of a given issue.

The speculator today will buy these books from DCBS or one of the other online retailers at a deep discount that a LCS won't be able to match. Trust me, there are people buying 50 or more copies of some books, they just are not doing so at the LCS.

As a collector i did not try to cash in with the speculator craze of the 90's. What was its apex? Magnus # 12 is the first time i noticed a buzz going on but i simply ignored it and kept on collecting and reading. I know the print runs were ridiculous on Spider-Man and X-Men but when did the walls start crumbling?

As a collector i did not try to cash in with the speculator craze of the 90's. What was its apex? Magnus # 12 is the first time i noticed a buzz going on but i simply ignored it and kept on collecting and reading. I know the print runs were ridiculous on Spider-Man and X-Men but when did the walls start crumbling?

Shadowman 19 - Aerosmith appearance - was when I sensed that the shark had been jumped.

You'll probably get more concrete opinions from the folks on here who ran LCSs or were show dealers at the time.