• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Happened To The Big Apple Comic Con?

48 posts in this topic

Mike Carbonaro is the head of or principal partner of Neat Stuff. Think he started selling at NYC comicons when he was 14 and had 3 dealers tables for himself. :acclaim: He was in a national magazine article around 1977 with a pic of him wheeling and dealing comics.

He's also got a camera crew following him around. I believe he's trying to create a reality television show around comics and the industry.

The Church was a decent spot. That was where I picked up my ASM1 back around 99. I remember that being a decent show. They could easily use the smaller venue attached to MSG or a better hotel than the Penn Pavilion.

I liked the Church shows too. Penn Pavilion is horrible. Whenever I go to the Penn Pavilion show, I just want to go home and take a shower immediately.

I really appreciate that Mike and Vinnie stepped up all those years ago and started the Church show when the Greenberg show collapsed. I'm sure it wasn't easy and I doubt they ever got rich from the effort.

It's too bad that creating respectable NY show (other than the Reed show) seems to be such a tough and costly endeavor. I think the demand is there.

2001 at the Church was the first comic convention I ever went to, I loved it...it was small, you could wander around and I never felt like I was going to get mugged any second. I hated the Penn shows...dark and figured I was inhaling asbestos. It was like walking around a maze. I know I bought one book there, but I'm pretty sure that was it. The only show that I refused to attend unless my husband went with me. I grew up in NY, went to school there, worked there...there are very few places I mind traveling to alone, lol...but this was one of them.

I had to laugh at the shower reference...+1.

Mike Carbonaro is the head of or principal partner of Neat Stuff. Think he started selling at NYC comicons when he was 14 and had 3 dealers tables for himself. :acclaim: He was in a national magazine article around 1977 with a pic of him wheeling and dealing comics.

He's also got a camera crew following him around. I believe he's trying to create a reality television show around comics and the industry.

Mike is no longer part of Neat Stuff. He and Brian parted ways, amicably by all accounts, a few months ago.

Mike is no longer part of Neat Stuff. He and Brian parted ways, amicably by all accounts, a few months ago.

Gotcha. Did not know what the deal was but I knew something was afoot.

(thumbs u

Back in the 1970s/80s, shows were held at the Hotel McAlphin and The Vanderbilt. Both settings were vastly superior to the spaces at the Hotel Pennslvania- which is loong past its glory days.

Yeah, that worked so well for Kevin Smith...

:sick:

Spot on Greg! (thumbs u

Mike and I will always be friends and we'll continue to do business together, but what you say is correct.

I'd like to correct one small detail which someone else had mentioned earlier. Mike was not the head or principle partner of Neat Stuff. He was the head buyer. He was certainly the most visible representative on the show circuit, so I can see how some would have come to that conclusion.

Pier 92 was a decent show a couple of years ago as far as dealer representation although poor Joe Verenault spent the entire show next to a broken window in the winter time. His booth needed winter coats and heaters.

It can't be that hard to find a decent location in NYC, can it?

It's harder that you would think Roy.

I ran the Big Apple Shows with Mike for years and the first thing I did when I got involved was shop venues. I checked out everything from hotel conference rooms to the Puck to MSG and all the way to Javitz.. The cost of most of these made them no starters for a smaller show like we were running. The layout of others would have presented too much of a challenge for dealer load in, traffic flow, etc.. Also, most are Union halls and that gets VERY expensive for everyone involved.

For all it's faults (and there are many), the Penn provided adequate space and an ideal location at a price we could afford in order to keep table fees from doubling and squeeze out a small profit. It's a shame that the owners never addressed a few of the small issues that could have made it a much more comfortable venue.

Convenience is perfect for someone like me who just uses their monthly rail pass on a weekend, walks across the street and I am there. I can see the problems though for those bringing in bulk to set up tables.

Any areas on the island that these guys ever considered? Nassau Veteran's Coliseum (the venue is still (supposedly) suitable for hockey, Disney on Ice and concerts. It might not be so bad for a show. Has anyone checked the pricing and availability for the new Barclay's Center in Brooklyn? I could see that as the new Javitz. Transportation would be ideal as there are many lines in and out (unlike Javitz which involves a hike from the nearest area of public transportation)

Pier 92 was a decent show a couple of years ago as far as dealer representation although poor Joe Verenault spent the entire show next to a broken window in the winter time. His booth needed winter coats and heaters.

It can't be that hard to find a decent location in NYC, can it?

It's harder that you would think Roy.

I ran the Big Apple Shows with Mike for years and the first thing I did when I got involved was shop venues. I checked out everything from hotel conference rooms to the Puck to MSG and all the way to Javitz.. The cost of most of these made them no starters for a smaller show like we were running. The layout of others would have presented too much of a challenge for dealer load in, traffic flow, etc.. Also, most are Union halls and that gets VERY expensive for everyone involved.

For all it's faults (and there are many), the Penn provided adequate space and an ideal location at a price we could afford in order to keep table fees from doubling and squeeze out a small profit. It's a shame that the owners never addressed a few of the small issues that could have made it a much more comfortable venue.

Unfortunately there was a lot of riff raff tables in attendance. It is kind of disheartening to see a Metropolis' display and a few others a few mere tables away from the old discarded and broken toys that usually belong at a train station flea market.

I kind of agree, but then again that toy dealer has set up at Big Apple (before WW bought it) before here. I feel like I see them a few times a year.

The show from last weekend was alright, Pat did well. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Spot on Greg! (thumbs u

Mike and I will always be friends and we'll continue to do business together, but what you say is correct.

I'd like to correct one small detail which someone else had mentioned earlier. Mike was not the head or principle partner of Neat Stuff. He was the head buyer. He was certainly the most visible representative on the show circuit, so I can see how some would have come to that conclusion.

:hi: Brian

Yeah i knew this months ago as well. I am probably in the minority but i liked the pier. It was an old airport hangar it looked like. It was roomy and easier to load into than the plaza. I guess maybe having it in the spring might be better.

Jeff

Spot on Greg! (thumbs u

Yeah i knew this months ago as well. I am probably in the minority but i liked the pier. It was an old airport hangar it looked like. It was roomy and easier to load into than the plaza. I guess maybe having it in the spring might be better.

Jeff

Hey Jeff!

The pier was an OK venue, but it wouldn't have worked on our budget. The Pier show was after the transition to Wizard. They were able to get some promotional/video game/publisher/etc.. exhibitors who forked over serious $$$ for booth space. I don't know the details of cost vs. revenue but Wizard hasn't gone back to the piers so I assume that it wasn't feasible.

On a side note, we need to plan dinner at the Polish spot in Chicago well in advance this year!

Spot on Greg! (thumbs u

Jeff

Hey Jeff!

The pier was an OK venue, but it wouldn't have worked on our budget. The Pier show was after the transition to Wizard. They were able to get some promotional/video game/publisher/etc.. exhibitors who forked over serious $$$ for booth space. I don't know the details of cost vs. revenue but Wizard hasn't gone back to the piers so I assume that it wasn't feasible.

On a side note, we need to plan dinner at the Polish spot in Chicago well in advance this year!

I understand pal. The Wednesday night in Chicago. Only time they are open late enough for us to get to.

Just my opinion, but the pier location was gloomy... freezing... and a real bear to walk to if not traveling by car, since no trains stop even remotely nearby. I wasn't in a hurry to go back.

I definitely sympathize with the difficulty of finding good space in Manhattan though. Seems like anything decent and central costs a ton of money. More affordable locations are out of the way, and kill the possibility of walk-in traffic. I can see why the Penn hotel has been the default for a while, even with all its problems.

Im telling you...

Brooklyn

There are so many options in Brooklyn. With a short distance from major hubs of transportation, the hipster communities of Williamsburg and other places along with a lot of rebuilding, Crooklyn is the place to be.

Bedford Avenue already looks like a venue for all the items that couldn't sell on eBay.

At one or two trian stops from the city, areas like Willimasburg, or Greenpoint. Maybe downtown by the bridge, or the new stadium? Might work, but probably a uphill battle. But at this point in time, it may the only viable option...maybe.

Probably not happening.

Until a suitable venue is found I don't see how a Wizard NY show would be successful.

If you want to charge convention prices than book a "convention" center.

If you want to charge convention prices don't book a flea market setting.

Is Penn Station not that big? I used to work trade shows and thought that we shipped in there quite a bit.

Not that I care, I'm just remembering 10 years ago and can't make it to any of the shows anyway.

The room they use at the Penn Plaza hotel is wide and long but not very tall. Overheating in the summer time is a problem and the room is very "broken up" as far as the venue goes with Pillars every few feet and what looks to be an elevator shaft in the middle of the room.

It's not as much a convention room as it is a sweat gallery, much like a pig pen in the summer although it might have been a decent convention room circa 1900.

And load in is a nightmare...if the hydralic lift that you use to get through the 1/2 sized door at the back of the room doesn't fail that is. If it fails then there is no load in. You have to carry every box in by hand.

:facepalm:

Assuming you are talking about the downstairs, not upstairs room, it is fine for the kinds of shows that were held there for 20-30 years, the once a month or every two month kinds of shows, not an annual "event" show. For one, all the people need to be funnelled into a very narrow/entrance and exit, it's nuts.