• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brittle pages......

24 posts in this topic

The most interesting I read about, back around 1988 when I was doing a lot of resto research, was a process to actually reverse brittle paper by placing the paper in a vacuum chamber. When as close to full vacuum is achieved, a slurry of "fine methyl cellulose" in distilled water is introduced into the chamber. After introduction and setting in the solution for a time, the paper is then freeze-dried and sublimated to a dry state. Sublimation will allow the freeze dried paper's liquid content to go directly from ice to gas without entering the liquid state.

The main drawback cited was a slight thickening of the pages.

Just putting the general concept here for folks who like research to perhaps pursue.

Ironically, over the weekend I received a book I won at auction and the pages were a bit tan. I tested them for suppleness and they seem to be just fine, no signs of brittleness setting in. But there was a weird triangle-shaped darkening of some pages starting at the bottom back cover that continues on the inside working back toward the middle of the book for a couple of pages. I was wondering if the discoloring is a sun-shadow or some kind of soiling. The front cover looks gorgeous from the outside, and the back ain't bad either, but they too have tanning (and foxing) on the inside edges. I wonder if a book like this is a candidate for a washing, but the cover is so nice I hate to risk damaging it. My biggest fear is that the grade will suffer because of these conditions :eek:

Ironically, over the weekend I received a book I won at auction and the pages were a bit tan. I tested them for suppleness and they seem to be just fine, no signs of brittleness setting in. But there was a weird triangle-shaped darkening of some pages starting at the bottom back cover that continues on the inside working back toward the middle of the book for a couple of pages. I was wondering if the discoloring is a sun-shadow or some kind of soiling. The front cover looks gorgeous from the outside, and the back ain't bad either, but they too have tanning (and foxing) on the inside edges. I wonder if a book like this is a candidate for a washing, but the cover is so nice I hate to risk damaging it. My biggest fear is that the grade will suffer because of these conditions :eek:

What you describe would probably affect the grade. A washing would probably eliminate or reduce what you describe. But then the book would be considered restored, which greatly affects the value. If it has a gorgeous front cover and a good looking back cover, you might consider either having CGC encapsulate it or put it in a nice mylar and buffered backing board and just enjoy as it is!

If you want some opinions as to what it is, post a few pics. The restorers on the board often offer opinions.

So don't keep us in suspense? What is the book?

That's what I'm planning to do as soon as I can get to it. I'll try to get the scans done Wednesday night. I was thinking of asking advice from our restorer friends here on the board, but you may be right to just leave it be. The book is Wonder Woman #7, the third copy I've owned. I just can't get enough of that book I suppose. (shrug)