• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can see underneath cover?

40 posts in this topic

Stay away from this book, It's been discussed on another comics board, and the serial number on the slab is invalid. Several people have called CGC and get basically the same answer: we don't know what's up with this book, but something is up with this book.

I guess it could be an honest mistake - on the sellers part, or on CGC's part.

Sure doesn't seem like it right now, though.

To make your own call, make your own call to 1-877-NMCOMIC with the serial number to find out more. (Or maybe a paid member could post what the online info is).

This is what it said when I looked it up:

CERTIFICATION NUMBER LOOK UP

This is a valid cert number, but the information you supplied does not match the book in our records.

Doesnt that mean that the cert# isnt for a 9.8 ASM 10?

That is how I take it. It is either not a Spider-Man, not a Spider-Man 10, or not a Spiderman 10 in 9.8. And I don't say that to be specious. It could be all three or just one of those factors.

Isn't "djbrady4u" (the seller) the shill account for the PGX head grader, Ryan whatshisface?

According to this thread, yes...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=5363324&Searchpage=1&Main=245290&Words=djbrady4u&topic=0&Search=true#Post5363324

I just tried the cert# with every grade possible and nothing worked so it must not be for any ASM10. I still don't understand why you can't just plug in a cert# and have it pull up the books info (shrug)

I just tried the cert# with every grade possible and nothing worked so it must not be for any ASM10. I still don't understand why you can't just plug in a cert# and have it pull up the books info (shrug)

It would be even easier to fake the labels then. (shrug)

If, as it seems, this label is fake having the info available for the scammer would've made it tough for the detectives to crack the case (no pun intended).

Perhaps you should look up the definition of the word "agreed" (thumbs u

:baiting:

Sorry, I was on an android device and it scrolls poorly. I missed the word "agreed".

:)

I knew my Spidey Senses were tingling for a reason.

This could be an entry in Malcom Gladwell's book "Blink." :)

So I think I know what's happening here. Follow along and see if you agree.

(1)

Here are the Photobucket links for the three photos in the listing.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w309/NobodysSpendingFool/4c1.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w309/NobodysSpendingFool/4c2.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w309/NobodysSpendingFool/4c3.jpg

By the way, interesting choice of a Photobucket account name.

(2)

Anyway, I wondered if there might be a 4c4.jpg...

...and sure enough there is!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w309/NobodysSpendingFool/4c4.jpg

Low and behold, it's a scan of the back cover that he chose not to include in the listing.

I wondered why?

I have attached the original, since I have a suspicion it's going to disappear soon. :D

(3)

The label area of 4c4.jpg (back cover) looked suspiciously darker than the rest of the pic, and I wondered if it might have been photo-shopped.

So I enlarged it to see if there were any clues.

Take a look at the two enlargements.

Notice how the one labeled "Right Side" lines up nicely.

Now take a look at the alignment of the enlargement labeled "Left Side."

meh

(4)

I'm guessing the front scans received the same treatment, only he was more diligent in making sure the width of the label area matched the width of the book area.

124593.jpg.56b02f4afec99b1a464c41ba7e28b63e.jpg

124594.jpg.6b31a2f74a92448a446cebc9571db069.jpg

124595.jpg.e22aefa4f12a60df759caba8979aa1a3.jpg

You have to connect the dots for me. Are you saying that this is basically the left side of one book married, digitally, to the right side of another book? Providing for a book that looks like it has a 9.8 grade but is not that book?

You have to connect the dots for me. Are you saying that this is basically the left side of one book married, digitally, to the right side of another book? Providing for a book that looks like it has a 9.8 grade but is not that book?

This is all just hypothetical, I can't prove anything beyond a shadow of a doubt. But the back-side scan has definitely been photo-shopped. The label area has been digitally married to the book area. I believe he did the same thing to the front-side scans that he included in the listing. I enlarged the left and right areas separately because the "entire" enlargement wouldn't fit on the message board.

Good, i thought i was the only dummy that didnt understand! lol

Definitely something fishy going on with this book. Man, eBay sucks now! Can't even trust the CGC books you get on there anymore :(

That ability was removed so people won't be able to see how deep the next Ewert-like scandal goes for privacy reasons.

I sent him a message asking why the cert# didnt match and got back this very illuminating response, "I don't know" :idea:

Somehow, I don't think he's telling the truth.

If you do a Google search of djbrady4u there are pics of this guy on several different websites - the best are on a dating site called OkCupid. I don't want to post them here because it would be inappropriate, and I guess it's possible there could be two people with the same handle from the Portland area.

Having said that, I wonder if anyone recognizes him. He definitely doesn't look like the photos I've seen of Ryan Elliott.

I sent him a message asking why the cert# didnt match and got back this very illuminating response, "I don't know" :idea:

If you do a Google search of djbrady4u there are pics of this guy on several different websites - the best are on a dating site called OkCupid. I don't want to post them here because it would be inappropriate, and I guess it's possible there could be two people with the same handle from the Portland area.

Having said that, I wonder if anyone recognizes him. He definitely doesn't look like the photos I've seen of Ryan Elliott.

lol

Ahhh, the power of google!

I used to be BIG into saltwater aquariums and was a member of reefcentral.com. Like 4 years ago someone joined and started fights with EVERYONE saying ridiculous . One of the mods who was a major ballbuster did a google search of his screenname. His name was VERY specific, something like "bronxmikey578394", they found the same screenname on a site called ladyboyswithtiny*%^#$" that had the same city and hobbies in the profile lol

Needless to say, he stopped posting after that was posted! :shy:

lol

Ahhh, the power of google!

I used to be BIG into saltwater aquariums and was a member of reefcentral.com. Like 4 years ago someone joined and started fights with EVERYONE saying ridiculous . One of the mods who was a major ballbuster did a google search of his screenname. His name was VERY specific, something like "bronxmikey578394", they found the same screenname on a site called ladyboyswithtiny*%^#$" that had the same city and hobbies in the profile lol

Needless to say, he stopped posting after that was posted! :shy:

lol That's classic.

Based on how quickly that listing came down, I'd bet he's monitoring this thread. I searched for an exact match in the "User list" here but didn't find anything. Still, if he goes to cons, someone may recognize him.

Wow, I'm glad my random thread about seeing underneath a cover may have exposed a fraud on ebay.

Seems to me that CGC should just allow you to enter the cert # and see what comic it is without extra info.

And Shellhead, you should work for the FBI anti-counterfeiting task force.

The right edge of the FF #10 looks trimmed, too.

Looks fine to me.

I think what you may be seeing is the dust shadow on the right edge of the front cover. At low magnification it would be easy to confuse this with the "edge" of the cover.