• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can see underneath cover?

40 posts in this topic

Look at these two comics, both of which are really high grades:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-10-CGC-9-8-highest-graded-copy-1-only-4-9-8s-/150792239113?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item231beaf809#ht_3251wt_943

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-10-CGC-9-2-NM-Universal-/360398080172?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item53e96648ac#ht_500wt_1177

I'm curious, the covers look strange, like the printing underneath them is showing through. Seems like a very noticeable and major flaw, yet they are both extremely high grades for such old comics. Why wouldn't that severely lower the grade of these comics?

If the books were raw and you held just the cover up to the light you'd be able to see through it -- it would be transparent.

CGC puts a sheet of microchamber paper between the front cover and the pages and the back cover and the pages.

This paper is very white and more reflective than the newsprint of the comic. This reflective quality does tend to make the cover seem more transparent on older comics.

I was looking at that ASM #10 just today.

I'm amazed that it rated a 9.8 with that stain along the top edge of the front cover.

1000-to-1 says that there's no stain and it's just an optical illusion produced by a combination of a scan and a bit of the interior page shining through the front cover.

I'm amazed that it rated a 9.8 with that stain along the top edge of the front cover.

1000-to-1 says that there's no stain and it's just an optical illusion produced by a combination of a scan and a bit of the interior page shining through the front cover.

I thought the same thing when I looked at the first scan, but it's in all the pics. I could be wrong, but the ultra-closeup appears to show the beginnings of the stain above the "h" in the word "the."

124581.jpg.b48057fa967322748a338ec32b308803.jpg

My IF 14 is like that. BEcause of the white cover, even before it was slabbed you could very clearly see the interior page thru the cover. In hand, you can easily read every single word of the interior page.

if14-1-1.jpg

I thought the same thing when I looked at the first scan, but it's in all the pics. I could be wrong, but the ultra-closeup appears to show the beginnings of the stain above the "h" in the word "the."

If i had to guess I would say that CGC graded that a 9.8 because that is distributor overspray and not a stain. If that was a stain it would be a Fine range book.

Agreed but man that sure does look like a stain to me (shrug)

Well, it's either a stain and board members can grade better from a 2D scan than 3 Graders who held the book in their hands or it's overspray.

I know which odds i'd put my money on.

:facepalm:

Agreed but man that sure does look like a stain to me (shrug)

Well, it's either a stain and board members can grade better from a 2D scan than 3 Graders who held the book in their hands or it's overspray.

I know which odds i'd put my money on.

:facepalm:

:whistle:

LINK

1093406006a.jpg

1093416010a.jpg

:)

But statistically speaking you would be on safe ground. (thumbs u

Just for the record, I agree with you and etanick, I think it's probably a distributor stripe.

As an aside, this makes a strong case for providing large, crisp, clear scans of the front and back of graded books, along with a description of the visible defects/artifacts (just like a raw book). Many people buy the book in conjunction with the grade.

Stay away from this book, It's been discussed on another comics board, and the serial number on the slab is invalid. Several people have called CGC and get basically the same answer: we don't know what's up with this book, but something is up with this book.

I guess it could be an honest mistake - on the sellers part, or on CGC's part.

Sure doesn't seem like it right now, though.

To make your own call, make your own call to 1-877-NMCOMIC with the serial number to find out more. (Or maybe a paid member could post what the online info is).

Stay away from this book, It's been discussed on another comics board, and the serial number on the slab is invalid. Several people have called CGC and get basically the same answer: we don't know what's up with this book, but something is up with this book.

To make your own call, make your own call to 1-877-NMCOMIC with the serial number to find out more. (Or maybe a paid member could post what the online info is).

Hmmm, the plot thickens hm

I just ran the cert number and it doesnt match. Maybe someone did a switcheroo and thats a stain after all (shrug)

This is what it said when I looked it up:

CERTIFICATION NUMBER LOOK UP

This is a valid cert number, but the information you supplied does not match the book in our records.

This is what it said when I looked it up:

CERTIFICATION NUMBER LOOK UP

This is a valid cert number, but the information you supplied does not match the book in our records.

Doesnt that mean that the cert# isnt for a 9.8 ASM 10?