• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Spoiler In "The Thing" Prequel Puts End To Film Geek Debate?

25 posts in this topic

[font:Book Antiqua]I watch the carpenter film yesterday for the first time.

Why I never watch this movie before?

I have no idea

I enjoy the movie, and looking forward to watch the prequel...[/font]

(thumbs u

So this is strange. Was the recent version not a remake of the original or a remake of the remake, but a prequel to the remake (which is largely regarded as more of a sequel to the original)? But the recent version is still not a remake of the original, because it ties its continuity to the remake?

Better question, was it a good movie? :)

It was a good movie but it was a prequel. You know what is going to happen, basically. I think that is the main reason it didn't do better than it did.

If you had never heard of The Thing and watched this movie, it would be enjoyable. I think this is one reason Prometheus went away from the prequel thing and just went with "an earlier time in the same universe" spiel.

The Thing prequel didn't do well is because the general public didn't see the 82' film.

I think Prometheus will be different because 20th Century Fox is hyping this movie up.

And the general public knows about the Alien franchise.

Also Prometheus is more of a stand alone movie. The only ties to the alien franchise is Weyland, space jockey, and a ship that matches the derelict.