• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Spoiler In "The Thing" Prequel Puts End To Film Geek Debate?

25 posts in this topic

Has the Thing prequel purposely solved a long-standing mystery in the 1982 film?

In the prequel it's revealed that the the alien "Thing" cannot replicate non-living matter such as fillings, earrings and clothing.

In the climax of the 2011 film our heroine realises that another character's earring is missing as well as the hole for the piercing thus identifying him as an alien duplicate.

If we now rewind back to the finale of the 1982 film, the character Childs still has a earring in his right ear and it can be seen just before he takes a swig from the bottle of J&B.

So there you have it...Childs is still human and will freeze to death once the fires go out around the camp...I thank you!

So this is strange. Was the recent version not a remake of the original or a remake of the remake, but a prequel to the remake (which is largely regarded as more of a sequel to the original)? But the recent version is still not a remake of the original, because it ties its continuity to the remake?

Better question, was it a good movie? :)

So this is strange. Was the recent version not a remake of the original or a remake of the remake, but a prequel to the remake (which is largely regarded as more of a sequel to the original)? But the recent version is still not a remake of the original, because it ties its continuity to the remake?

It felt like watching a remake of the remake...

Or Deja-Vu

It was a good movie but it was a prequel. You know what is going to happen, basically. I think that is the main reason it didn't do better than it did.

If you had never heard of The Thing and watched this movie, it would be enjoyable. I think this is one reason Prometheus went away from the prequel thing and just went with "an earlier time in the same universe" spiel.

Yes,it was a good movie.

It was a good movie but it was a prequel. You know what is going to happen, basically. I think that is the main reason it didn't do better than it did.

If you had never heard of The Thing and watched this movie, it would be enjoyable. I think this is one reason Prometheus went away from the prequel thing and just went with "an earlier time in the same universe" spiel.

The Thing prequel didn't do well is because the general public didn't see the 82' film.

I think Prometheus will be different because 20th Century Fox is hyping this movie up.

And the general public knows about the Alien franchise.

The Thing From Another World - the original, in case my rambling didn't refer clearly to that. "John Carpenter's The Thing" was a sequel/remake to this, which sort of makes a prequel to that movie seem like it should have been a remake of the original, but it seems actually it wasn't, but as if every one completely ignored the original because, well, it's in black and white, so whatever.

A couple of scenes in the trailer were spot-on recreations of the scenes from the original, so I thought it would be an actual remake, but I don't have enough faith in Hollywood to imagine they would do the original justice.

The original basically created the whole locked-in with an unknown, with the kind of fast banter that has become part of the formula for movies like this. The difference being that everyone didn't die at the end of the original. :)

Has the Thing prequel purposely solved a long-standing mystery in the 1982 film?

In the prequel it's revealed that the the alien "Thing" cannot replicate non-living matter such as fillings, earrings and clothing.

In the climax of the 2011 film our heroine realises that another character's earring is missing as well as the hole for the piercing thus identifying him as an alien duplicate.

If we now rewind back to the finale of the 1982 film, the character Childs still has a earring in his right ear and it can be seen just before he takes a swig from the bottle of J&B.

So there you have it...Childs is still human and will freeze to death once the fires go out around the camp...I thank you!

Now if we could only apply this level of study to cancer research....

But remember, despite a rabid fan-base, the 1982 Thing was considered a bomb at the time. It was going up against kinder and gentler ET's like the one that phoned home that year. :preach:

James Arness played the alien int he original. Carpenter's Thing is one of my all time favs! :headbang: The latest Thing movie wasn't did not meet my expectations. You're all fired.

It was . The CGI was crappy and you could tell where they had gone back and done reshoots too. It was a jumbled mess that, yes, had massive studio interference.

How are you supposed to be afraid of something that moves slower than a Romero Zombie? The Thing was just sort of lounging around doing a slow ride around in a circle around the camp. If anyone got caught by the Thing they deserved to die. And yeah, they did.

And the movie ended. Mercifully. But not before desperately trying to apologize for the mess by attempting a seamless transition to the far superior Carpenter Thing.

I shake my thing at this Thing.

I thought the prequel did what it was supposed to do:

To see what happened to the Norwegian Science Team before the 82' film.

I would have liked them to used more practical FX than CGI.

But overall I enjoyed it.

I just wish they did a sequel to the 82' film.

James Arness played the alien int he original. Carpenter's Thing is one of my all time favs! :headbang: The latest Thing movie wasn't did not meet my expectations. You're all fired.

Careful there. If you shake it more than three times, it's considered masturbation. :whistle:

Careful there. If you shake it more than three times, it's considered masturbation. :whistle:

I have no problems admitting to the gratification of myself. I won a contest that revolved around abstaining from such actions. I won $300 (thumbs u

I thought the prequel did what it was supposed to do:

To see what happened to the Norwegian Science Team before the 82' film.

I would have liked them to used more practical FX than CGI.

But overall I enjoyed it.

I just wish they did a sequel to the 82' film.

+1