• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a new "Overstreet"?

41 posts in this topic

And if the values include private sales, then it would place downward pressure on prices. Maybe that's a good thing . . .

I think it would be assumed that all recorded values would be considered retail sales, not wholesale ones.

The private transactions that I was referencing was more for rare golden age books or other "outlier" books that do not trade in public often. Those books often change hands between networked collectors but outside of those transactions, there is little known about the books' price trends.

Those types of sales would be terrific for filling in holes where there is no data.

And if the values include private sales, then it would place downward pressure on prices. Maybe that's a good thing . . .

I think it would be assumed that all recorded values would be considered retail sales, not wholesale ones.

The private transactions that I was referencing was more for rare golden age books or other "outlier" books that do not trade in public often. Those books often change hands between networked collectors but outside of those transactions, there is little known about the books' price trends.

Those types of sales would be terrific for filling in holes where there is no data.

wouldn't it be nice to get something like this for OA too?

Here's what I'd like: a "new" Overstreet-type price guide, that compiles as many verifiable sales as possible. GPA-style, but with more info. Some boardies have taken GPA sales and compiled them with Heritage, Clink, etc. auctions on a few key books. Can it be done with a more comprehensive list of books, and packaged in a pamphlet/booklet type way once a year?

Isn`t Overstreet like 70?

Of course their should be somebody running the Overstreet priceguide.Overstreet is probally ready to retire anyday,and they don`t know what to do for the future.

How about once a year (12/31/XX?) - data is collected from GPA and CLink and compiled into an annual price guide? Sure it's not all encompassing, but it could be used in conjunction with OSPG. If you want up to the minute data, you would need to subscribe to GPA, but if you just want data once a year, the book should do. Personally, I like having a book for a price guide that I can flip through and study. GPA online is great for looking up individual issues - but not for "flipping" through. Formatting should be similar to GPA IMO - have all the grades that sold during the past year - averages, if it's gone up, down, etc.

Now we just need to find someone to put it together!

Re: How about a new "Overstreet"?

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss..."

No matter what you do, nor how cool or transparent or sexy-modern-techno it is, it will still eventually and inevitably be regarded as woefully inadequate to the task and skewed in its reporting; damned with faint praise ("it sucks, but it's okay for general reference...I guess") and condemned as an elitist playground; routinely proclaimed as extinct among the true cognoscenti; and/or universally loathed by everyone.

Sounds like a lot of work for VERY little return...

No matter what you do, nor how cool or transparent or sexy-modern-techno it is, it will still eventually and inevitably be regarded as woefully inadequate to the task and skewed in its reporting; damned with faint praise ("it sucks, but it's okay for general reference...I guess") and condemned as an elitist playground; routinely proclaimed as extinct among the true cognoscenti; and/or universally loathed by everyone.

Not disagreeing, but I still want the damn monthly mag and/or yearly book!

Assuming this is done online or an app of some sort, I'd like to see a price guide like this mixed with what abe has done for booksellers.

So, as a consumer, I think it'd be great to:

A) know what a certain book has sold for recently.

B) be able to see (via search) which dealers have a certain book for sale or at auction at any time.

I know GPA does that to some degree, but if you add raw books with the graded, and if you add as many of the top dealers as possible, it think it would be a great tool for consumers.

Heck, B above alone would be a great thing.

Basically someone should just have an update of the top 100 keys every month.

The top 20 in each category monthly.

GOLD

SILVER

BRONZE

COPPER

MODERN

also split it up into two groups

Raw

CGC

Any thoughts? hm

Basically someone should just have an update of the top 100 keys every month.

The top 20 in each category monthly.

GOLD

SILVER

BRONZE

COPPER

MODERN

also split it up into two groups

Raw

CGC

Any thoughts? hm

For me, I want way more data. There aren't any monthly price guides still circulating, are there? Why not have a monthly GPA printed price guide? I'm sure most people on these boards have a hatred for Wizard, but I used to love reading those magazines every month and flipping through their price guide.

Wizard is good for bright pictures and some cool articles, but as a price guide, its essentially worthless. The prices I see around compared to there are so far off, it's a little funny.

Hence, take the good that Wizard brought (pics, articles, etc) and take out the bad (price guide) and replace it with a good price guide - GPA data.

Wizard is good for bright pictures and some cool articles, but as a price guide, its essentially worthless. The prices I see around compared to there are so far off, it's a little funny.

Hence, take the good that Wizard brought (pics, articles, etc) and take out the bad (price guide) and replace it with a good price guide - GPA data.

The only thing is with that thought is GPA only deals with slabbed comics,and what were the hottest comic books this month?

Raw Walking Deads on Ebay, if we just followed the GPA we would have missed out the hottest comic book in ten years.

So the new guide must have two lists.

One for CGC.

One for raw.

2c

Raw Walking Deads on Ebay, if we just followed the GPA we would have missed out the hottest comic book in ten years.

-------------------

Except this last craze would have occurred with a 9 monh old guide anyway and most issues of WD would be listed at cover price.

OPG never was able to catch up with hot books, but at least until the early 90s a hot book might stay that way for a year or two, now books cool off (even vintage material that has been revived due to some current plot line) in a month or two or less.

seriously, remember when folks were chasing down psycho pirate appearances for about a month there!?!

The only thing is with that thought is GPA only deals with slabbed comics,and what where the hottest comic books this month?

One for CGC.

One for raw.

2c

2c - OSPG does a good job as a guide for most raw books. Sure there are going to be a few hot books that aren't accurately reflected in OSPG - but most of those will be Ultra-HG books and/or moderns - OSPG only goes up to 9.2 and I don't think anyone would argue that OSPG is accurate at pricing really "hot" moderns.

GPA is far more accurate for these types of books - it tells you "real time" what the market price is for a certain book. Plus slabbed books (specifically CGC) have really leveled the playing field for selling books online. We all know grading is subjective and there are certain grades within slabs that don't make sense - but overall, generally speaking, CGC gives you a good idea of the grade you will receive when buying books online. If there is a key book that GPA lists for $1,000 in a certain grade - there is no way the raw book listed by a seller in that same grade on ebay will go for $1,000 (unless it's a fluke). It just won't. Even if the seller is very reputable and generally spot on with grading.

I'm not arguing slabbed vs unslabbed here - I collect both - if books are valuable, I tend to stick with slabs and if I want to read them I get the TPB or a reading copy. If they aren't very valuable, I tend to prefer unslabbed, as I can read them anytime. If I'm going to buy a book for $10k, you better believe I'm going to buy a slabbed book. Maybe that 9.4 they designated isn't what I would call a 9.4 - but you have a 9.4 label, so you can resell it as a 9.4. If I buy an unslabbed 9.4 from a dealer and I think it's a 9.0 - I have a few choices - send it back for a refund (PITA) and you don't have the book anymore, get it slabbed and see what CGC comes up with, keep it in your collection as is, or sell it as a 9.0. Buying the slabbed version is such a safer bet - which is why you see very little raw high priced books on market today (i.e. for sale). Unless of course they are in someone's personal collection and staying there forever (or a really long time). You pay a premium for that slab, which to me is why GPA is so valuable. It's the most accurate guide that I know of. If you are talking about a massive price guide that does a fairly good job, then that is OSPG. Have both and you are pretty much set IMO.

I'll stop now - I just want a monthly price guide with GPA data!

Pitching the logic of this is one thing. Immersing it into the reality that is the comic hobby is another. The OSPG does the job and does it well. If there were no price guide, or GPA, then I would say it's would be worth building. As is, this is not only a money losing prospect (and believe me when I tell you to build something like this would require a serious capital investment), but to attempt to bring something like this to a market as fickle as comic hobbyists would be a mistake. By the time it's built, you'll have everyone complaining it's too expensive, they want to pay by the query instead of being attached to a month-long subscription, and pretty much will find no reason to support it unless it's free.