• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,886 posts in this topic

"tells me one thing Archie,it was easy for you to save me"- "to be sincere,first i had to save three obstacles"...(Chespirito correct me if i put something wrong....)

I think you are right bro

Collecting everything Dr. Strange includes finding foreign printings of the Dr. Strange comics first published in America. Especially appealing to me are covers that are unique to that country and not just the original cover with a logo in a different language (although I have many of those as well!)

Some of the hardest ones to find are issues of the vintage Doctor Extrano series that was published in Spain from publisher Ediciones Vertice. The series ran 14 issues and featured original art on the covers never published in the USA. A few were painted re-creations of the American covers done by unknown Spanish artists, others were original works, and all of them had that surreal beauty that made these things one of my grails to track down in the last few years.

These books are rare as hen's teeth, even in Spain. I've never seen one ever listed on eBay, and when my friend visited Barcelona two years ago, he found one copy of one issue in a comic shop and the owner wanted £200 for it. I told him to pass.

Luckily, this year I finally managed to track some down and got 7 issues! A BIG thanks to ISComics on these boards for helping me find some! Their condition wasn't mint, but that's not super important to me. They all have black and white interiors and measure about 8 inches long and 6 inches wide. They look a little like early Manga comics in size and binding actually...

So, without further ado... A gallery of DOCTOR EXTRANO!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

I also found some reprints of the second solo Dr. Strange series published by Mundi Comics:

08.jpg

09.jpg

Finally, a more recent Spanish reprint of the Strange Tales series from the 90's. This one uses the cover from the "Dr. Strange: Through The 6 Dimensions" book, which has never been used on any comic in the US:

10.jpg

Edited by wdb23

Collecting everything Dr. Strange includes finding foreign printings of the Dr. Strange comics first published in America. Especially appealing to me are covers that are unique to that country and not just the original cover with a logo in a different language (although I have many of those as well!)

Some of the hardest ones to find are issues of the vintage Doctor Extrano series that was published in Spain from publisher Ediciones Vertice. The series ran 14 issues and featured original art on the covers never published in the USA. A few were painted re-creations of the American covers done by unknown Spanish artists, others were original works, and all of them had that surreal beauty that made these things one of my grails to track down in the last few years.

These books are rare as hen's teeth, even in Spain. I've never seen one ever listed on eBay, and when my friend visited Barcelona two years ago, he found one copy of one issue in a comic shop and the owner wanted £200 for it. I told him to pass.

Luckily, this year I finally managed to track some down and got 7 issues! A BIG thanks to ISComics on these boards for helping me find some! Their condition wasn't mint, but that's not super important to me. They all have black and white interiors and measure about 8 inches long and 6 inches wide. They look a little like early Manga comics in size and binding actually...

So, without further ado... A gallery of DOCTOR EXTRANO!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

I also found some reprints of the second solo Dr. Strange series published by Mundi Comics:

08.jpg

09.jpg

Finally, a more recent Spanish reprint of the Strange Tales series from the 90's. This one uses the cover from the "Dr. Strange: Through The 6 Dimensions" book, which has never been used on any comic in the US:

10.jpg

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Can anyone (most probably LSComics) :) help me identify what numbers of Historias Fantásticas these are. Thanx in advance.

th_PS17_zps4ba6afb8.jpgth_PS13_zpsbec5c0d3.jpgth_PS12_zpsed0f1293.jpgth_PS6_zps9358a561.jpg

I am not too sure on the first, but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th ~~ 299, 297, 280

The first one is #311. lol

Thanks again guys! Hector, can you confirm 297? the web page at Bauldelcomic.com lists that one as a Teen Titans reprint. They might wrong, though.

Can anyone (most probably LSComics) :) help me identify what numbers of Historias Fantásticas these are. Thanx in advance.

th_PS17_zps4ba6afb8.jpgth_PS13_zpsbec5c0d3.jpgth_PS12_zpsed0f1293.jpgth_PS6_zps9358a561.jpg

I am not too sure on the first, but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th ~~ 299, 297, 280

The first one is #311. lol

Thanks again guys! Hector, can you confirm 297? the web page at Bauldelcomic.com lists that one as a Teen Titans reprint. They might wrong, though.

hm .well....there is one for sale from Pedro here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HISTORIAS-FANTASTICAS-297-NOVARO-MEXICAN-COMIC-1972-/380574839742?pt=US_International_Comics&hash=item589c0733be

someone know about this edition...?

Lugo_Special_Strange.jpg

These are LUG (not "Lugo") French editions. From what I get, they had some different formats, and published the characters in a pretty confusing rotations, most of those have custom covers painted by French artists, which are occasionally very nice. I seem to recall X-Men was mostly the main feature on "Strange", while the Specials (as yours) published characters in rotation. If you remind me, I can post a sample later on, as I have some eBooks of those.