• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

Can anyone (most probably LSComics) :) help me identify what numbers of Historias Fantásticas these are. Thanx in advance.

th_PS17_zps4ba6afb8.jpgth_PS13_zpsbec5c0d3.jpgth_PS12_zpsed0f1293.jpgth_PS6_zps9358a561.jpg

I am not too sure on the first, but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th ~~ 299, 297, 280

The first one is #311. lol

Thanks again guys! Hector, can you confirm 297? the web page at Bauldelcomic.com lists that one as a Teen Titans reprint. They might wrong, though.

hm .well....there is one for sale from Pedro here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HISTORIAS-FANTASTICAS-297-NOVARO-MEXICAN-COMIC-1972-/380574839742?pt=US_International_Comics&hash=item589c0733be

He had a nicer one listed but someone bought it. :gossip:

I can't imagine who that would be. :whistle:

I can't imagine who that would be. :whistle:

I am not sure, since I already have three copies of it, I wasn't really down with buying another one... (shrug)

NOTE: Yes, that is exactly what a lie looks like when someone puts it in writing, if it walks like a duck, and smells smells like a duck...yeahp, yes sir..it's BS!

someone know about this edition...?

Lugo_Special_Strange.jpg

These are LUG (not "Lugo") French editions. From what I get, they had some different formats, and published the characters in a pretty confusing rotations, most of those have custom covers painted by French artists, which are occasionally very nice. I seem to recall X-Men was mostly the main feature on "Strange", while the Specials (as yours) published characters in rotation. If you remind me, I can post a sample later on, as I have some eBooks of those.

thanks vailliant...

It seems these two are presenting the content of the two antology books Stan wrote "Origins of Marvel Comics" and "Son of Origins". There was also a third with villains.

The first issue of "Strange" should be this one. It appears to be pocket-sized, so the page layout has been adapted to the format.

Strange01-000couv01_zps7cf8ed11.jpg

It features the X-Men, Iron Man, Daredevil and Silver Surfer:

Strange01-001_zps04e3103b.jpg

Strange01-038_zps250eb29f.jpg

Strange01-067_zpscac26219.jpg

Strange01-101_zps9e2756a5.jpg

«Et nous vous felicitons vivement d’avoir acheté ce premier numéro de Strange dont le succès dépend de vous et qui sera l’orgueil de votre collection de bandes dessinées»

:cool:

These French editions look rather poor anyway, but the early italian ones were poor as well.

Matt!!

Thanks for showung me the Aussie Superman #300...

I did more homework and found the same variant cover in France....

It puts the Supes #300 up to 18 total...

Im 4 away and I got them all in on my sights..

Soon the French and Aussie Son of Jorel will stand...then kneel :devil:

Matt!!

Thanks for showung me the Aussie Superman #300...

I did more homework and found the same variant cover in France....

It puts the Supes #300 up to 18 total...

Im 4 away and I got them all in on my sights..

Soon the French and Aussie Son of Jorel will stand...then kneel :devil:

Nice Tony, when are we gonna start seeing pics of these huge sets you got goign man? hm

Especially appealing to me are covers that are unique to that country and not just the original cover with a logo in a different language (although I have many of those as well!)

So, without further ado... A gallery of DOCTOR EXTRANO!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

I also found some reprints of the second solo Dr. Strange series published by Mundi Comics:

08.jpg

09.jpg

Finally, a more recent Spanish reprint of the Strange Tales series from the 90's. This one uses the cover from the "Dr. Strange: Through The 6 Dimensions" book, which has never been used on any comic in the US:

10.jpg

Very cool! I talk about in my article the fact that for the most part many foreign variant collectors prefer the original art in some form.... but there are also those like yourself that appreciate the uniqueness and beauty of the original creations some of the foreign publishers chose to use instead. The Spanish publisher Edeciones Vertice being one publisher that did some really amazing covers that stand out amongst the rest as far as I am concerned..... great job! :applause:

someone know about this edition...?

Lugo_Special_Strange.jpg

These are LUG (not "Lugo") French editions. From what I get, they had some different formats, and published the characters in a pretty confusing rotations, most of those have custom covers painted by French artists, which are occasionally very nice. I seem to recall X-Men was mostly the main feature on "Strange", while the Specials (as yours) published characters in rotation. If you remind me, I can post a sample later on, as I have some eBooks of those.

Special Strange was the main home for Uncanny X-Men . It reprints #154 & 155. There was also Marvel Team-Up #103 & Marvel Two-In-One #65.

At that time (1985), there was a 4 years difference with the US so some UXM issues were also published in another publications (X-Men album).

Most of the Frenche reprints were cover painted by Jean Frisano.

If you are interested by French reprints , you can check this website: http://www.comicsvf.com