• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

th_photo8_zpse16c6190.jpg

What they did in this Italian reprint was reproduce the cover to the French edition but the inside was transalated into Italian. The back cover states that this was part of the Collezione COMIC-BOOKS USA and was published as some sort of give away to the members of "AL FUMETTO CLUB". Publication date is April-May 1988.

How about this one to complement LSComics post on Morbius Mexican variants? And, to top it off, the splash page of this Mexican variant featuring the name of that pesky translator´s name printed on it!

photo14_zpsb8af523a.jpgphoto17_zps784121d9.jpg

So this is a second edition? The typographic lettering in that Helvetica-like typeface is really awful. It seems a german Disney comic (they used to do that).

It is a Novedades first print. The La Prensa edition preceded this one by several years. And you are right, I hated it when they decided to go from hand lettering to computer generated text. Sometimes editors can be real Stronzi!

Matt,

Everything from Brazil arrived to Canada on Fri and all our shipments go out on Feb 25!!! I was pretty spot on we getting out books on March 1st :)

And on a great note!!! One of my books was not "Fine" so to make up for it the Brazilian dealer found another book I wanted and originally they said they didnt have it but they actually did find and gave it to me for FREE becauase of the lower grade

Getting a free hard to find Brazilian is the icing on the cake!!!

Matt,

Everything from Brazil arrived to Canada on Fri and all our shipments go out on Feb 25!!! I was pretty spot on we getting out books on March 1st :)

And on a great note!!! One of my books was not "Fine" so to make up for it the Brazilian dealer found another book I wanted and originally they said they didnt have it but they actually did find and gave it to me for FREE becauase of the lower grade

Getting a free hard to find Brazilian is the icing on the cake!!!

Yea I heard back..... Unfortunately mine were not so well received... :sorry: I got givin a free book too but I still ended up paying some to cover the wholesale costs of the other book, even though the contact made the mistake. Remember the first rule of contact management..... if its to much hassle or trouble for a foreign contact to source books, thats the second they stop doing it...... :gossip: BTW Im sorry yours had an issue too... I think the average grading standards of Brazilian collectors are just different from here. It was a honest mistake I believe and I think the sellers decision to throw in free books was his integrity showing thru...... :applause:

Edited by Define999

@Gustavo: I understand about the Deadman book: it is a collector’s edition. "Il Fumetto" is one of the many clubs which occasionally produced limited print-run stuff. I think those are out-of-commerce editions (not sure about the rights to DC Comics).

I think editors have little to do with such editorial decisions, which are of the publisher: they generally switch to typographic lettering to spend less, but in fact the result is poor and the savings little.

Honestly, I also don’t like a good 90% of the typographic lettering which dominates the comics publishing industry today: although based on lettering forms they are nonetheless typographical and the repetition of letter forms makes for a very "cold" reading experience…

:pullhair: Great books but I've got the breaks on for spending right now in anticipation of something I suspect is going to turn up very soon.

As tough some Nembo Kid or Albi del Falco issues may be, I think that they would be less tough than the Williams Batmans (1st series), so we may hunt them down… (thumbs u

Edited by vaillant

@solarcadet: I dont think so, but I have to check. You know, Im strictly a Marvel fan :D

If you find it please let everyone know I guess Im more a DC fan but im on the fence...

Im set collecting 5 Marverl titles and 8 DCs i think....

Im willing to spend almost anything on rare DCs

Here you are:

Albi del Falco (article):

http://www.glamazonia.it/old/articoli/albifalco/albifalco.htm

(Last paragraph speaks about some Superman stories written and drawn in Italy for the title).

Albi del Falco (partial chronology / key issues):

http://www.glamazonia.it/old/articoli/albifalco/crono.htm

Batman key issues are indicated in RED.

Albi del Falco (full chronology – you need to register but it’s free):

http://www.collezionismofumetti.com/fumetti.php?idx=15

If someone has problems with the "Collezionismo Fumetti" just PM me, I know the curator of the site.

Now you owe me one! lol

Edited by vaillant

@Gustavo: I understand about the Deadman book: it is a collector’s edition. "Il Fumetto" is one of the many clubs which occasionally produced limited print-run stuff. I think those are out-of-commerce editions (not sure about the rights to DC Comics).

I think editors have little to do with such editorial decisions, which are of the publisher: they generally switch to typographic lettering to spend less, but in fact the result is poor and the savings little.

@Claudio: The decision, at least in Mexico, when I was working there was entirely the Editor´s. He did not want to pay the letterer whatever ridiculous small amount of money He was getting and opted to use the newspaper´s computer typography as thety did not charge anything for it. :(

Turkish The Dark Knight Returns (1989)

for being 1989 and coming out of semi war torn border these books are in excellent condition. The seller told me they were never put out to sell and kept in the printing / shipping box. Like the Turk Spidermans the entire book was printed on cheap newspaper print and the ink borders dont lay over the artwork correctly looking as if it is "3-D" format

I believe this to be true as Book #2 is a printing error in that the first inside page is still connected to the 4th page as you can NOT open the comic book to clearly view the 2 page spread...

Definitley submitting this to Frank Miller SS Series....

2013-02-15_16-58-50_783_zps957c191a.jpg

2013-02-15_16-34-36_849_zpsfcec3275.jpg

2013-02-15_16-35-14_134_zpsbeb48dfd.jpg

I missed this earlier.... very cool Tony! (thumbs u

Turkish The Dark Knight Returns (1989)

for being 1989 and coming out of semi war torn border these books are in excellent condition. The seller told me they were never put out to sell and kept in the printing / shipping box. Like the Turk Spidermans the entire book was printed on cheap newspaper print and the ink borders dont lay over the artwork correctly looking as if it is "3-D" format

I believe this to be true as Book #2 is a printing error in that the first inside page is still connected to the 4th page as you can NOT open the comic book to clearly view the 2 page spread...

Definitley submitting this to Frank Miller SS Series....

2013-02-15_16-58-50_783_zps957c191a.jpg

2013-02-15_16-34-36_849_zpsfcec3275.jpg

2013-02-15_16-35-14_134_zpsbeb48dfd.jpg

I missed this earlier.... very cool Tony! (thumbs u

I am pretty proud of them. For being so thin and flimsy and out of Turkey, they are in EXCELLENT condition...They also do not fit in Golden Age Backboards i had to put them along with the Mexican Spiderman #1 in Magazine backboards and mylar....and about 7 backing boards to reinforce them from ever bending on the spine....

I would LOVE these to get SS'ed by Frank Miller....

My first Arabic babies!!!! I had to buy 3 dozen Arabics just to get these 3 books and the seller was gracious enough to work with me inot swapping them into one dozen lot and screwing over someone else :)

This Arabic Superman 300 is my 12th book and Arabic Superman 276 breaks into 10th with 2 more to go.....

2013-02-20_12-46-37_538_zps983ebf96.jpg

2013-02-20_12-46-53_103_zps63ef63ef.jpg

2013-02-20_12-02-56_687_zps4ab15fba.jpg