• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS on high grade keys?

206 posts in this topic

This thread comes up a lot. And the reason why the SS people get upset over it is someone says that books are being ruined by collecting in a way they like.

If someone says something like that to someone who is passionate about collecting SS books, expect a certain level of hate that comes with it.

I've had a lot of people tell me I am ruining my comics by sending them to cgc to get graded. Many creators who made these books have told me I might as well burn my books in a fire then get them slabbed.

Burn in a fire.....

I get that and understand why SS people would get annoyed. The only thing I can say as a "non SS" person is slabbing books doesn't alter anything. You can always crack it and it's the exact same as it was before. SS though does permanently alter a book. Wether you agree or disagree about doing it, you can't argue that the book isn't being permanently altered. It obviously is.

Like I said a bunch of times though, if you want to do that, great! Have at it, it's just not my thing. BUT, if it's a rare or unique book that you don't plan on keeping and just want to flip, I think you should have a little consideration for the book and it's history before you permanently alter it (shrug)

This thread comes up a lot. And the reason why the SS people get upset over it is someone says that books are being ruined by collecting in a way they like.

If someone says something like that to someone who is passionate about collecting SS books, expect a certain level of hate that comes with it.

I've had a lot of people tell me I am ruining my comics by sending them to cgc to get graded. Many creators who made these books have told me I might as well burn my books in a fire then get them slabbed.

Burn in a fire.....

I get that and understand why SS people would get annoyed. The only thing I can say as a "non SS" person is slabbing books doesn't alter anything. You can always crack it and it's the exact same as it was before. SS though does permanently alter a book. Wether you agree or disagree about doing it, you can't argue that the book isn't being permanently altered. It obviously is.

Like I said a bunch of times though, if you want to do that, great! Have at it, it's just not my thing. BUT, if it's a rare or unique book that you don't plan on keeping and just want to flip, I think you should have a little consideration for the book and it's history before you permanently alter it (shrug)

I'm not saying it does not permanently alter a book. I'm saying it does not ruin a book however. The point I was making is that some people think a lot of things ruins the book. You know how many conversations I've had with people who think it does alter the book? People think that a slab does damage to the book long term, or does not keep the book as well as other forms of preservation do? I'm not saying I agree with anything, but there are a lot of opinions out there about SS / pressing / Slabs / Mylites / sunlight / storage boxes - ect.

I had someone tell me that keeping a AF15 is wrong because I live in Oregon, where there is high moisture and my book will degrade over time faster. Because of this the place I live in will permanently alter my book, so I should sell it to someone who lives in California......

No joke.

Now, I don't think you are saying anything like this, I'm just pointing out why some people could be a little defensive over someone using a word like ruin.

No, I use the word "ruin" for me and some others who just don't like sigs on the cover.

To me, that Suscha Avengers 1 is ruined, I wouldn't pay anything remotely close to gpa for it now. For someone like Fingh, it might have just went from an average mid-grade copy to an "I have to have it" copy (shrug)

I don't think Fingh like s Suschas though :screwy:

lol

Burn in a fire.....

I'm not saying it does not permanently alter a book. I'm saying it does not ruin a book however. The point I was making is that some people think a lot of things ruins the book. You know how many conversations I've had with people who think it does alter the book? People think that a slab does damage to the book long term, or does not keep the book as well as other forms of preservation do? I'm not saying I agree with anything, but there are a lot of opinions out there about SS / pressing / Slabs / Mylites / sunlight / storage boxes - ect.

I had someone tell me that keeping a AF15 is wrong because I live in Oregon, where there is high moisture and my book will degrade over time faster. Because of this the place I live in will permanently alter my book, so I should sell it to someone who lives in California......

No joke.

Now, I don't think you are saying anything like this, I'm just pointing out why some people could be a little defensive over someone using a word like ruin.

I don't think CGC slabbing a book is harmful, unless it's left sealed up for too long. That is good for people like you in humid climates, but who leaves there house open to the high humidity and has raw books there? Most homes have low humidity, often too low for comics. But indoors is better than outside moisture.

CGC comics are sealed, they should be water tight, let alone be affected by high humidity.