• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS on high grade keys?

206 posts in this topic

I will say though that I just don't understand WHY you would SS that Avengers 1. Suscha may be a "marketing ploy" but it's still s Pedigree and special on some level. There are a MILLION 5.5 range Avengers1. Why SS the ONE Pedigree copy when there's a million and one "regular" copies to SS?

Side conversation: Weren't pedigrees a hell of a lot more significant before there were 787 of them? Do you remember back when you could name the real pedigrees on one hand or maybe one and a half?

Lately it seems there's a new one every week or two.

It's like diluting your single malt with moonshine, it will still get you toasted, but the label doesn't mean what it once did.

I agree. To me there are only a handful of pedigrees which I hold in the highest regard, and they are the older ones for sure.

You should check out more of the Twin Cities copies.

+1

EVERY single TC book i have looks as good or better than any copy i've seen :cloud9:

I thought the subject was high grade SA keys... :baiting:

It is but I like to show off as many books as I can on the off chance that it will convert a hater or two. :angel:

You cant possibly think you're converting anyone with that Bronze drek :slapfight:

It is but I like to show off as many books as I can on the off chance that it will convert a hater or two. :angel:

I appreciate the passion with which you collect your preferred genre, but when the topic is high grade keys there are a host of issues with creator signatures on the covers that don't come into play with non-keys and issues of more recent vintage.

Stan's signature has become as common as can be, but high grade SA keys are not, and according to sales data the latter certainly don't gain value and more commonly lose it when signed on the cover by Stan. The majority have spoken, and what they've said is they aren't especially fond of creator signatures on the covers of high grade SA keys.

I appreciate the passion with which you collect your preferred genre, but when the topic is high grade keys there are a host of issues with creator signatures on the covers that don't come into play with non-keys and issues of more recent vintage.

Stan's signature has become as common as can be, but high grade SA keys are not, and according to sales data the latter certainly don't gain value and more commonly lose it when signed on the cover by Stan. The majority have spoken, and what they've said is they aren't especially fond of creator signatures on the covers of high grade SA keys.

Nope, OP still thinks thats "circumstantial" :gossip:

The title of this thread should have been "SS on high grade keys!!!" not "SS on high grade keys?". Obviously, his mind is made up (thumbs u

I will say though that I just don't understand WHY you would SS that Avengers 1. Suscha may be a "marketing ploy" but it's still s Pedigree and special on some level. There are a MILLION 5.5 range Avengers1. Why SS the ONE Pedigree copy when there's a million and one "regular" copies to SS?

Side conversation: Weren't pedigrees a hell of a lot more significant before there were 787 of them? Do you remember back when you could name the real pedigrees on one hand or maybe one and a half?

Lately it seems there's a new one every week or two.

It's like diluting your single malt with moonshine, it will still get you toasted, but the label doesn't mean what it once did.

I agree. To me there are only a handful of pedigrees which I hold in the highest regard, and they are the older ones for sure.

You should check out more of the Twin Cities copies.

really? i've picked up a dozen and haven't been blown away. of course, they're all poopie DC's which could be the problem.

The title of this thread should have been "SS on high grade keys!!!" not "SS on high grade keys?". Obviously, his mind is made up (thumbs u

That's totally not fair. You make it sound like I'm shilling books, and I'm not (nor have I ever, nor will I ever). I'm simply not yet convinced EITHER way. But I guess b/c I haven't been 100% convinced by your side of the argument just yet, I'm some sort of circus barker. (tsk)

That's totally not fair. You make it sound like I'm shilling books, and I'm not (nor have I ever, nor will I ever). I'm simply not yet convinced EITHER way. But I guess b/c I haven't been 100% convinced by your side of the argument just yet, I'm some sort of circus barker. (tsk)

How am I making it sound like you are shilling?!?

You asked a question. Like 5 of the 1st 6 responses were people saying they would NOT buy a HG SA SS book. The other response was the gpa data showing ONE sale each of Av4 and Hulk 181 SS for huge prices in the last couple years. Your next response was something like "wow! That's compelling evidence! sSing them is sounding like a sound decision". You've completely ignored every poster who's said they wouldn't buy those books.

The majority of responses have said they don't like and won't buy those books but you've ignored that with the "these people might only buy $50 books" theory that came out of thin air. Obviously you can do whatever you want but if I were you, I'd make sure it's a common SA book because the responses in this thread SHOULD be telling you that the market for HG SA SS books is not as large as you might want it to be.

It would make it a heck of a lot easier if we had an idea of the books you're considering. If its a FF 48 type book, have at it, you'll almost definitely make some decent money. If its a HG early ASM, FF or the like, I think you're making a big mistake 2c

Guest Grails

The majority has spoken in this thread (in the SA forum). Post your question in the Signature Series forum. Lots of experienced SS guru's and witnesses/facilitators over there. Regardless of the majority, I don't need to tell you that you aren't collecting for them.

The majority has spoken in this thread (in the SA forum). Post your question in the Signature Series forum. Lots of experienced SS guru's and witnesses/facilitators over there. Regardless of the majority, I don't need to tell you that you aren't collecting for them.

Noted, and agreed. Thanks for the input. (thumbs u

Definitely more likely to hear the answer you want to hear in the SS forum (thumbs u

Good God, you are snarky. For what it's worth, I think I'm going to hold off on HG sigs. But if I owned a pedigreed Avengers, I'd sign it myself just to pizz you off. (thumbs u

Definitely more likely to hear the answer you want to hear in the SS forum (thumbs u

Good God, you are snarky. For what it's worth, I think I'm going to hold off on HG sigs. But if I owned a pedigreed Avengers, I'd sign it myself just to pizz you off. (thumbs u

At least you don't get butt hurt easily :flamed:

Would CGC put that in a yellow label, as long as they saw you sign it?

Would they ask for two forms of identification, to ensure that you were signing your own name?

:signfunny: That is funny no offense Sufunk. Okay I will give my opinion....a little late to the party but I just finished reading this thread. I don't buy high grade keys because I can't afford to but if I could I would prefer a untouched copy. As many have said and I agree a sig looks better on a lower grade copy.

Oh and one more thing Sufunk the Church pedigree and the Mile High pedigree are one and the same! :makepoint:

lol Enjoy the debate everyone and congrats Sufunk on your Avengers #1, this thread led me over there and it is a beauty! Looks a strong 7.5. :headbang:

Thanks!

Look, maybe in the heat of the moment, my argument got misconstrued. I know a lot of SS guys are very passionate and get defensive when we say they shouldn't be "ruining" books.

If you're a guy that LOVES the book and want it for your collection, do whatever you want. Guys like Sean and a bunch of others truly love their SS books. That doesn't bother me at all. Sean could post a SS book and no matter what it is, HG, Ped, whatever, it wouldn't annoy me because I know that's what he loves. He's not doing it to just squeeze a few more bucks out of the book.

Guys like the eBay seller of that Suscha Avengers 1 definitely annoy the hell out of me though. He bought that book and immediately put it on eBay for a ridiculously high BIN. After no one would touch it for 6 months, he figured he could hit an even bigger jackpot by getting those half assed sigs horribly placed on the cover. He doesn't care a thing about the book or the sigs. He permanently altered that book which , marketing ploy or not, is special to people for nothing more than a quick cash grab. That annoys me (shrug)

This thread comes up a lot. And the reason why the SS people get upset over it is someone says that books are being ruined by collecting in a way they like.

If someone says something like that to someone who is passionate about collecting SS books, expect a certain level of hate that comes with it.

I've had a lot of people tell me I am ruining my comics by sending them to cgc to get graded. Many creators who made these books have told me I might as well burn my books in a fire then get them slabbed.

Burn in a fire.....