• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCCOMICON 2012 - November 17th and 18th!!!

96 posts in this topic

Hell Yeah Guys! - there is a new and way better location for this show:

The Durham, NC Convention Center!!!

124883.jpg

NCCOMICON!

I went with some associates yesterday to pay for our booth and look over the location.

The new renovations of the place look fantastic.

Everything about his place is easier and better located. Parking located right

across the street in the high rise building where I work.

Connected to the Convention Center is an awesome Cinema (the Carolina Theatre) that sells top shelf beers.

I am checking to see if the promoter for the Con (Alan Gill) will take advantage of that and have a Super Hero movie marathon

on the eve that the con takes place.

Here are some snap shots I took yesterday...

124876.jpg

124877.jpg

124878.jpg

124879.jpg

It's hard to believe I needled Alan into running this show oh so many years ago

and now instead of being in some dead mall it's in a real con hall right here in good old Durham!

(thumbs u

Thanks for snapping some pictures of the venue for us, Wally. I was curious as to what it would look like when I heard that they were moving to the convention center in Durham. I went to the show last year for just a few hours on Sunday and although the layout was a little off-putting, I really had a great time. Now that it's all going to be together this year, the way that a convention should be, I'm looking even more forward to this. This is the third year for this show, correct?

Also, Wally (or anybody else), do you know if they will have a special rate at the Marriott that is attached. I was thinking of just coming for one day again and making it a day trip, but if I can get a good rate at the attached hotel, it just may be worth making a weekend out of. Let me know, and again, thanks for the pictures, Wally...nice to put the venue into perspective, especially considering I've only laid a foot in Durham once in my life.

Also, last question, anybody know how close the Durham Amtrak station is to the hotel/convention center where this con is taking place? Might be a nice alternative to take the train up so the misses and I don't have to drive again like last year. If the Amtrak Station is within walking distance to the convention center, and if Durham is safe enough of a city, it may be worth taking the train. Last year I got a speeding ticket on 64 between Siler City and Pittsboro. :frustrated:

This is the third year for this show, correct?

A little over 3, I designed their 1st show poster for the 2010 spring show

(they stopped doing two small shows a year and made it one big one).

nccomiccon2010.jpg

Also, Wally (or anybody else), do you know if they will have a special rate at the Marriott that is attached.

I am working on that with Alan and Eric. I want to see if I can get a price break for parking at my building as well.

Also, last question, anybody know how close the Durham Amtrak station is to the hotel/convention center where this con is taking place?

It's walking distance. About 3 blocks.

Downtown Durham isn't bad - it has changed a lot since I moved back here 12 years ago. The Downtown scene is really booming now. There is live music, plenty of bars, 5 star restaurants and my favorite - Breweries! ALL within walking distance of the hotel!!!!

One of the killer things is that the Cinema sells decent beers which is literally you take ten steps away from the con hall walk through the doors and they go straight into the theatre lobby.

I saw Jay and Silent Bob there last month and got hammered drinking $3 Rouge Dead Guy Beers!

I wish this was tomorrow cuz I'm ready!

:headbang:

A little over 3, I designed their 1st show poster for the 2010 spring show

(they stopped doing two small shows a year and made it one big one).

nccomiccon2010.jpg[/Quote]

A very nice design. Is that what you do for a living?

I am working on that with Alan and Eric. I want to see if I can get a price break for parking at my building as well.

Keep me posted on the status of that. Like I said, if I can get a good rate, then I'll come to the show for two days instead of just one. Thanks, Wally.

It's walking distance. About 3 blocks.

Downtown Durham isn't bad - it has changed a lot since I moved back here 12 years ago. The Downtown scene is really booming now. There is live music, plenty of bars, 5 star restaurants and my favorite - Breweries! ALL within walking distance of the hotel!!!!

One of the killer things is that the Cinema sells decent beers which is literally you take ten steps away from the con hall walk through the doors and they go straight into the theatre lobby.

I saw Jay and Silent Bob there last month and got hammered drinking $3 Rouge Dead Guy Beers!

I wish this was tomorrow cuz I'm ready!

:headbang:

I will seriously consider taking the train then, so I don't mess with driving. It will make for a unique trip. Take the train to Durham, walk to the hotel for check-in, enjoy the convention all weekend, check-out, walk back to the train station to come home. Sounds like a plan. Plenty of places to eat in the same walking distance, I take it?

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back...one of my all-time favorite movies! Good stuff!!

A very nice design. Is that what you do for a living?

yeah, thanks - that's some of my crapola that I do for a living...

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back...one of my all-time favorite movies! Good stuff!!

good flick - the live show was to die for!

123751.jpg

Snooch to the Booch!

(thumbs u

Okay so have we started thinking about a board dinner for this show? Tsp99 & I live very close to downtown, heck we could probably walk but alas are too lazy most of the time...

That being said there are lots of really awesome eats nearby but I need to know what everyone is in the mood for... We actually hosted the dinner about 3 years at our house but feel it is easier to eat out. We are happy to host the after dinner party on Saturday for anyone who wants to have a few drinks and look at funny books.

Okay so have we started thinking about a board dinner for this show? Tsp99 & I live very close to downtown, heck we could probably walk but alas are too lazy most of the time...

That being said there are lots of really awesome eats nearby but I need to know what everyone is in the mood for... We actually hosted the dinner about 3 years at our house but feel it is easier to eat out. We are happy to host the after dinner party on Saturday for anyone who wants to have a few drinks and look at funny books.

I'll bring beers!

(worship)

You know I'm in :headbang:

You know I'm in :headbang:

+1