• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back from a raid in N.J.

24 posts in this topic

Was on vacay and bought some books in Jersey, exit 8. grin.gif I got some CGC books from Stormwatch comics on 73 in Berlin

TTA 101 CGC 9.2

ASM 36 vol 2 CGC 9.2

ASM 2 German

Swamp Thing Saga 1

FF1 German

Xmen 1 German

JLA/Avengers 1

Hobbit 3

Strange Tales 147 CGC 4.0 (for comparisons)

XMen ANnual 2 CGC 6.0 (for comparisons)

Then, I was at the Berlin Farmer's Mkt and got these for $15, all in VG/F

Ghost Rider 80

Defenders 95

Rai 0

Samurai 2 The old B&W, not the aircel

Mighty Marvel Western 16

Conan 14

Thor 194

Rawhide Kid 97

Submariner 37

Western Gunfighters 7

Sgt Fury 93

Where Monsters Dwell 9

Lil Kids 3

Our Love Story 14

My love 14

To celebrate, I went to the local flea and got DD 168 for .50

Was on vacay and bought some books in Jersey, exit 8.

vacay? Is that some sort of prescription drug, or do you get that off the street? You should just say no. makepoint.gif

ooohhhh - you just missed the goldmine - temdee! its about 20 mins. from stormwatch. Its full of JUNK but dig long enough & you'll find gold in them thar hills! Wish i knew you were going, i'd have told you the scoop! Sounds like you found some great books anyway!

Hey, I live in NJ. Is this Flea Market a weekly event..????
and

Yeah where is this flea market. I live in NJ and there aint no place to get comics here , closet place is Zapp Comics in Freehold mall but they aint got many back issues.

Well, as long as it's not raining, it's weekly. The Berlin flea market has a couple of people selling outside, and two inside. The one inside had tons of long boxes that had been in storage for 7 years. I didn't have much time, but it didn't look like anything but 90% moderns. There were some cool items though like the Firestorm 3 variant cover, a hard cover signed & #'ed Grendel book,and some book of comics covers or something. Guy said everything was priced with Overstreet and had a two year old book. The other inside was a book store, and I didn't make it there, but I heard they're 3 for $1 or something. As to where they are? Other than the Berlin Farmer's Market, I dunno, I could ask my gf if that's not good enough. There's also some big one at the Cowtown Rodeo (?). We were going there, but the rain put the kabosh on that. I was thinking of posting on the board for some 411, but it was going to be a struggle to go to any places and I didn't want to have some huge list.

Yeah where is this flea market. I live in NJ and there aint no place to get comics here , closet place is Zapp Comics in Freehold mall but they aint got many back issues.

Actually, they have a lot that are not on display. If you have a particular book that you are looking for, ask and they may be able to help you out. The guy there buys collections once in a while, so they get some new stuff in occassionally. Still, their prices are way too high for my tastes.

Zapp Comics is actually owned by a friend of mine, Ben, who also sets up at shows, generally with Joe Conzolo, of JC Comics in N. Plainfield NJ.

I think if you're looking for something, Ben will always make a deal. His original store is in Wayne NJ.

As for other jersey stores, MC Comics in Old Bridge NJ (exit 10 on the turnpike) has a pretty good selection, and Chris Viers, the owner, is always willing to deal.

Stormwatch comics is a pretty good store, and the staff is super nice.

I went to MC Comics last Sunday. Thats the part of Jersey I live in ( I have been here 3 years and never heard of them) Took my son . DIdnt buy any comics but bought my son some Transformers action figures. They have a whole room for just back isues. they are just commons but tons of them. Lots of toys. Was a good store. Still for my money Midtown Comics in Manhattan is the best. I live in NJ and work in Manhattan so I go to Midtown Comics alot. tons of back issues , I saw today they have a Hulk 181. I bought a copy of Marvels Greatest Comics # 23 ( first Fantastic Four reprints) for $15 last week.

Here's the only issue with buying your comics in NY... don't they tax them (they do in PA)? In NJ there's no tax on comics (so you save 8%) and I can tell you that MC Comics is very willing to give discounts (especially back issues). Even if Midtown didn't tax books, I can guarantee you that Chris is more willing to deal on back issues than Midtown is, only because of the size of his store vs. Midtown, who are huge. Don't get me wrong, I love Midtown... but you can find much better deals in Jersey in the stores through hunting.

If you are ever ambitious and feel like traveling a bit further (but not that much further) go to JC Comics in N. Plainfield (www.jccomics.com) ebay ID: webdeal.

You'll find a really nice, large stock of wall books, back issues and new stuff. It's a great store.

I will have to check out JC Comics. Maybe next weekend.

They dont charge sales tax on comics.in NY . I have one reciept in front of me from today.There is no sales tax charge. magazines are exempt from sales tax in NY .

In NJ there's no tax on comics

....they don't? I haven't purchased old comics in a store for a while, but my LCS charges sales tax for back issue books. He told me that New Jersey state law requires that he taxes on back issue books, but not new comics. Have I been getting ripped off?

yeah, there's sales tax on back issues...

but with almost every store owner I've been able to negotiate both a discount and no sales tax on back issues, when buying quantity. It's really helpful when you spend $5-600 bucks at a store, and believe me, they're more than happy to give it.

I love the Jersey comic stores probably because I know the dealers so well... but I just found a lead on a ton of raw NM 70s books (tomb of drac, Iron Man, X-Men, Werewolf by Nights etc.) in a store I hadn't been to in a couple of years. Guy hasn't even looked in the boxes, and I'm getting 30% off no tax... so... I'm very high on Jersey comic stores.

I love the Jersey comic stores probably because I know the dealers so well... but I just found a lead on a ton of raw NM 70s books (tomb of drac, Iron Man, X-Men, Werewolf by Nights etc.) in a store I hadn't been to in a couple of years. Guy hasn't even looked in the boxes, and I'm getting 30% off no tax... so... I'm very high on Jersey comic stores.

Like it says under my avatar: N.J. The home of comics! 893applaud-thumb.gif

BTW Little Shop of Comics in Scotch Plains (just further down Rt. 22) from J.C. Comics is my LCS.

Great store, nice owners! thumbsup2.gif