• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MILE HIGH COMICS

77 posts in this topic

I need someone to feed me frozen grapes while I am doing boring paperwork and trolling the Boards. Not to smash them or drop them. Just a good semi-regular placing of the frozen grapes in my mouth, in response to my opening my mouth, indicating that i desire a frozen grape.

A brain teaser....

A train leaves Denver, CO with a car load of frozen grapes packed in dry ice, and car load of over-graded, over-priced comics, it's dark, and the conductor is wearing sunglasses. It heads towards Dayton, OH at 70 mph, making no stops, and paying no mind.

At the same time a train leaves Dayton, OH heading towards Denver, CO, filled with passengers in search of yellow labels and lavish cryogenic fruit products. It travels at a speed of 62 mph taking no guff, speaking no lies.

The question is: What time is lunch?

The answer is "Friday."

You should experience a Ding Dong shoved in your mouth

No 41 year old man should ever have that typed at him.

Some people are differently oriented. Don't hate.

I'm not big on conforming to society.

I need someone to feed me frozen grapes while I am doing boring paperwork and trolling the Boards. Not to smash them or drop them. Just a good semi-regular placing of the frozen grapes in my mouth, in response to my opening my mouth, indicating that i desire a frozen grape.

A train leaves Denver, CO with a car load of frozen grapes packed in dry ice, and car load of over-graded, over-priced comics, it's dark, and the conductor is wearing sunglasses. It heads towards Dayton, OH at 70 mph, making no stops, and paying no mind.

At the same time a train leaves Dayton, OH heading towards Denver, CO, filled with passengers in search of yellow labels and lavish cryogenic fruit products. It travels at a speed of 62 mph taking no guff, speaking no lies.

What time is lunch?

4:20?

lol

My experience with MHC is limited (and I live in Denver). They have a huge selection, meaning if you need something, there's a very good chance they have it. The problem is their grading standards are all over the map and their prices are highly inflated. Your best bet with MHC is dealing with them during their big sales. Their prices are pretty reasonable when they have their big discounts, plus they have most everything in the way of odds and ends. So you can get it, but you might not get the grade you pay for. 2c

What time is lunch?

lol

4:20 has caused the demise of a lot of Ding Dongs. hm

I thought ordering mid-grade filler copies from Mile High was going to be cakewalk - I ordered up a bunch of DD and Uncannys a few years ago - got my order and it was half-filled, stating they didn't *have* some of the issues. This really goofed me up because it's easier and less expensive to buy full or sections of consecutive runs than to piecemeal it.

My mid-grade readers cost me about the same as VF/NM readers cost because I then had to go hunting around for individual issues, and pay $2-$3 shipping on each on just to fill in what Mile High advertised that they had, but didn't.

It was a learning lesson that pretty much soured me on using Mile High to find books.

What time is lunch?

lol

It's 4:20 in Denver more often than any other city in the world.

What time is lunch?

lol

It's 4:20 in Denver more often than any other city in the world.

That's where the name "Mile High" came from. (thumbs u

I've only ever made two purchases from Mile High and both were via eBay. The pricing structure they used on eBay at the time was wonderful. Tons of cheap books, many for prices below 99 cents based on grade.

In my experience books I purchased at lower (VG) or worse grades were closer to accurate than things graded at F or better. Grading played a huge role in their ebay pricing. Some books marked F would be significantly cheaper than those marked VF.

When eBay changed their fee structure for sellers, Mile High changed as well and I never bought from them again.

Their website has been the same for as long as I can remember. Seems their business model is predicated on selling to the uninformed buyer that does a random Google search for comics. Many of their prices are unrealistic and they utilize a discount code to help keep repeat business. By uninformed I mean someone who is just looking for a comic they remember from their childhood, or someone getting back into collecting after a long hiatus. Most well informed buyers recognize that there are other, cheaper options to buy comics online.

I also think the whole "woe is me" attitude that Chuck uses is an attempt to get people to commiserate with him. He complains about having little overhead to work with but is constantly growing his business. Surprised he hasn't started doing 'going out of business' sales yet.

I read an article that someone on the boards linked to and there was an interview with the owner of MHC and he's struggling. Not to judge, but why would I pay a far more for an identical comic via MHC vs. CGC boards or ebay or HA, etc.? IMO he is digging his own grave, once he lowers the prices on his books, then he could generate some revenue.

Jerome

I remember this article being mentioned, but does anyone have the actual link?

Do you have a lot of tats and body piercings? hm

None of either. ^^

None of either. ^^

Conformist :whatev:

I need someone to analyze Mile High Comics for me. Not to bash them or make fun of them. Just an accurate analysis of their business model and their website. Who buys from them? How is their pricing structure? What changes would you suggest they make,

Very difficult to do the first without it leading to the second...

None of either. ^^

Conformist :whatev:

Have you seen the number of people doing it lately and under the pressure of society and their peers?

The fact that I hold out makes me the rebel. :headbang: