• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Arists do GREAT Commissions?

38 posts in this topic

I've been snooping around CAF trying to learn about, and get a feel for different artists. I'm exclusively interested in pieces to go on my wall. I'm personally not one to pay big money solely for a big name. For me the quality of the work must warrant the price. That's not to say anything negative about those who will pay thousands for a name. Different strokes and all that.

So far here's a few names that struck me.

1. Jay Anacleto

HOLY #$%$ing $%^&!!!!! (worship) I saw that his work is very expensive, but I'll be damned if he's not worth every penny. So I emailed his rep thinking a cool 2K or less can get a single figure. $3000! for a single figure with background. :censored:

2. Alex Ross

His paintings are amazing but also very expensive. I would ask pricing for a commission, but I get the feeling I don't want to know.

3. Ebas

His artwork is also very, very good. I spoke with his rep, who is very animated and outgoing. $750 for a commission, a very long wait and he needs the payment in full before the clock even starts ticking. Makes me nervous because I already have one artist from the board who still has my money from 10 months ago, and I can't get a hold of him.

4. Bing Cansino

By far the absolute most bang for your buck I have found in terms of quality of art and price.

5. Stephen Segovia

The aforementioned artists tend to have styles that are less indicative of comics and more resemble fine art geared toward realism, which I love. Segovia's work isn't cartoony like many comic artists, but it's also not photographic like the work of Anecleto. His work blends the comic book style and emotion with realism and a plethora of subtle detail.

SO!!! Who else am I missing?

Art Adams does badass commissions.

ArthurAdamsScarletWitchLargeCameraPic.JPG

sonja10.jpg

So does Bill Sienkiewicz, but you gotta keep on top of him.

sienkiewicz-flash-cover.jpg

A nice thing about Bill is that he'll really work with you to get a commission that's within your budget, whatever your budget might be.

More affordable is Anthony Castrillo, who used to do commissions on the boards. He's incredibly skilled, got a great pure comics style. I'm not sure if he's still taking commissions though.

castrillo-reverse-flash-css-22-cgc.jpg

castrillo-flash-sa-cover-cgc-formus.jpg

mystery_in_space_66_castrillo_sm.jpg

I hear THESE ARTISTS take commisisons (as well as a few from my site :gossip: )

I'm surprised Ramon Fradon is on there. If she's taking commissions somebody should try doing an SS opp with her :baiting:

Ramona's still going strong. I've met her at a couple few cons over the past couple few years. Last I talked to her, she was happy to take commissions, and her rates were quite reasonable.

JK Woodward does a KILLER commission for only $35.00 or so

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=786781&GSub=118010

And I know he has a bad rap on here but Joe Rubenstein was only $125.00 and he killed it.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=588044&GSub=75946

Ron Frenz is also INCREDIBLY reasonable.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=426208&GSub=75946

Guest Grails
Mike Mayhew. Great to talk with and he really gets into the details of what you want in your commission.

X-Men 50

Actually I'm blown away by your X-Men 50 by Ray Lago

Thanks, I didn't have that one done though. Found it in CAF and pestered the owner until he gave it up.

John Byrne does great work, but man his stuff is expensive (for me).

Bob Layton does (or at least, he did - I think at one time his return to Marvel when the Iron Man movies hit it big took all his time, and he had to stop doing them) commissions and is very reasonable. He did a GREAT Thing/Hulk commission for me a couple of years back.

Guest Grails
Mike Mayhew. Great to talk with and he really gets into the details of what you want in your commission.

X-Men 50

Actually I'm blown away by your X-Men 50 by Ray Lago

Thanks, I didn't have that one done though. Found it in CAF and pestered the owner until he gave it up.

Ah.

Any idea what year it was done?

No. I first saw it here. For some strange reason its listed as an alternate cover. On the actual painting, the notation AFTER STERANKO does not exist. I guess Ray added that digitally to the image.

John Byrne does great work, but man his stuff is expensive

I think your money would be best spent on an eye doctor :baiting: