• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greg Capullo Original Art?
2 2

181 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how to acquire Capullo original art? Does he have a dealer or sell it himself? I'm very interested in grabbing pieces by him. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

If you are thinking about Batman art, think again. None of it is for sale!

I haven't had much trouble finding things.

The Resources tab and the search box have worked well for me. What are you trying to do/find?

I do wish I could filter on the searches with things like "(Legion, LSH)" to do an OR or "-swan" to exclude and artist.

If you're looking for recent inked stuff, check out Jonathan Glapion's (inker on Haunt and Batman) art dealer on CAF, Kirk Dilbeck.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=14545

Like the guys above mentioned, he keeps all of his pencilled pages, but inked stuff is certainly available.

Has anyone had any luck? Kirk is a great guy and I contacted him when Batman 1 came out to inquire about art sales and he said that he wouldn't be handling the sale of Batman pages. He forwarded my interest and contact info to Jonathan Glapion (who I was told would be handling any sales if he chose to himself), but I never heard back...

when Batman #1 came out, i've contacted Jonathan Glapion to buy original pages and here is his answer :

(he sell the entire issue)

We're taking offer's.

Included:

All 24 interior penciled pages by Greg Capullo

All 24 interior inked pages by Jonathan Glapion

The Cover penciled and inked by Greg.

Offeres will be forwarded to Greg.

Thanks

JG

Edited by julianross06

Unfortunately Capullo very rarely sells his work. Occasionally a piece slips out for one reason or another, and a good number of his earlier pages can be found, but for the most part, he keeps it all.

Is this for personal reasons? I'd be curious to why he hangs onto it. If it's the fact that he likes it, wants to keep it for posterity, doesn't want collectors to get it - etc. I'm always fascinated by artists who don't part with their personal work.

As far as Batman goes he is selling pages. I`ve seen him say on twitter that he will only sell entire issues including cover. He probably doesn`t need the money and doesn`t want to deal with selling individual pages and then being stuck with boring panel pages.

Is this for personal reasons? I'd be curious to why he hangs onto it. If it's the fact that he likes it, wants to keep it for posterity, doesn't want collectors to get it - etc. I'm always fascinated by artists who don't part with their personal work.

I'm not too sure. I'd assume it's mostly because he doesn't want to deal with it. But I'd guess there's more to it as well. Obviously he's close with McFarlane, who has the same policy on his work (post-Marvel), they seem to have a shared philosophy - whatever it might be.

Greg probably feels that he will get much more later if holds onto the work. With the price increase of OA the last ten years, most artists probably regret selling their work. What do you think Totleben thought when he saw the MM #15 cover go for over $300k.

Greg posted on fb or twitter that he was selling complete issues and covers (separately) in conjunction with Glapions blue lined inks awhile back, but never said how to buy them. Neither greg nor jon responded to my inquires through facebook. I'm surprised Jon isn't more responsive to get originals sold for some extra money considering he wasn't high profile before working with Capullo. Oh well.

Greg probably feels that he will get much more later if holds onto the work. With the price increase of OA the last ten years, most artists probably regret selling their work. What do you think Totleben thought when he saw the MM #15 cover go for over $300k.

I don't think thats the case at all with Capulo's Batman run. It will never be hotter than it is right now, and in my view he would make some serious money selling the pages individually while the heat is on. :gossip:

I spoke with Greg in Boston and NYCC 2011 about the art and he told me that he and Glapion would be selling it all or nothing. He did tell me he was going to sell art before Batman and do it online but that has not happened as far as I know.

I think his philosophy is the sum is greater than the parts and that is why he is focused on the whole issue thing.

He is a lot of fun to be around at a con and I think that will be the best way to get ahold of him about his art.

Good Luck!

Ray

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=60769