• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grendel is Now Considered Bronze Age!

30 posts in this topic

Comico Primer and the three issue B&W series published, 1982-1983. cloud9.gif

I loved the series up until the end of the Comico color run. The more recent series from Dark Horse are kind of hit and miss (especially those not written or drawn by Matt Wagner), so much so that I stopped picking them up awhile ago.

To me, the definitive Grendel is Hunter Rose battling Argent (all due respect to Christine Spar) but once the DH miniseries became too far removed from this storyline, I think they sort of lost their way.

Any thoughts on one of the best late bronze age characters? confused-smiley-013.gif

or Matt Wagner as creator/writer/artist?

This post is safe for CGC board consumption in that it deals directly with comic books, and is in no way, shape or form "off-topic" or "OT" as those terms are generally defined. Any attempt to "high-jack" this thread or otherwise inhibit its function as an "on-topic" post will be met with swift and sure retribution, including, but not limited to: cancellation of your FOOM membership, the revocation of your Babe Test privileges (especially YOU Aces), and/or the requirement that you prostrate yourself before board member OldGuy and beg his foregiveness for sullying up yet another fine comic-related thread.

Grendel was by far my favorite "indie" comic of the 80s. I lost my V2 run when I sold off my collection for college back in '91, but recently re-acquired it.

The original three books are toughies. With good reason too, there's just nothing like them. I snagged #1 in about VF- a few weeks ago, and #2 in VF/NM for a total of $186. #1 was considerably over guide for the grade and #2 was a bit under, so it balanced out.

Together with Mage: The Hero Discovered and Flaming Carrot, Grendel comprises the core of my 80s indie collection.

I don't have a link for you, but I believe bronze age has now been expanded to 1984 or so, according to the latest Overstreet. confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I assume that people can think for themselves and not fall for this revisionist BS from various OS article-writing crackheads? I doubt anyone outside of some drug-addled OS people would peg 1984 as the end of the Bronze Age.

Or maybe I'm giving too much credit. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't have a link for you, but I believe bronze age has now been expanded to 1984 or so, according to the latest Overstreet. confused-smiley-013.gif

I wonder why they did this, as it's totally illogical to use 1984 as the end of the Bronze Age, and I've never, ever heard anyone promoting a date that far past reason and reality.

Is this a dealer ploy to make some of the early-80's Moderns desirable, and get them removed from the "worthless" category?

My previously stated position on the various comic book ages is that I find it annoying to use Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, etc., and just group them by the decade they were published, as in 'comics from the sixties' or 'stuff published in the eighties', or 'dreck from the early nineties', etc., especially when talking to non-collectors who don't know from ages but quickly get a clue when I say something like 'The Captain America's from the 40's'. It's more inclusive than obscure 'in the know' labeling of ages.

I believe the new stretch of the so-called bronze age to 1984 is somehow tied into Secret Wars and Crisis being published in 1985, thus signalling a new era of comic book greatness.... or, wait, maybe those books signalled the demise of a hallowed era... or maybe some schnook need to make his 'early moderns' more desireable by labeling them 'Bronze Age'.

And another thing, where's the new Copper Age forum? confused-smiley-013.gifmakepoint.gifinsane.gif

"I wonder why they did this, as it's totally illogical to use 1984 as the end of the Bronze Age, and I've never, ever heard anyone promoting a date that far past reason and reality."

Have you actually read the articles in which we detailed the reasons for the Age span? You're certainly free to disagree and call Bronze whatever you like, but I think if you read the articles you'll at least understand where we came up with our reasoning. It's spelled out pretty clearly. You can then completely reject it and go by your own personal judgement, it's a free country.

Arnold

You can then completely reject it and go by your own personal judgement, it's a free country.

Exactly, and if it's that insipid "Comic Code" argument, then it's obviously not worth the paper it's printed on. Even if it's something else, I can't imagine it would be too compelling for someone like myself, who was buying through the 70's and 80's, that would change basic reality.

So yeah, I intend to stay in the real world, and not support some bizarro Age retcon that only a few people are railroading as the "new division".

I bet when dealers have a hard time pushing their 1985-87 books, you'll extend it again? tonofbricks.gif

Well since it's clear you're not interested in having a rational discussion, I won't pursue this much further. I'll only pop in once more to say that the Comic Code is *not* the primary factor we cite in the article, but we do incorporate it as one of many possible influencing forces. I'll also say that as someone who does not involve himself in pricing at all and has not collected back issue comics in ten years, I helped to write these articles because we wanted to clarify some muddy points in the way we label various Ages and through that discuss the history of the medium. For me, it was a fun way of working out some theories about how to break down the various eras. Never once were we told to do anything or say anything because of any market reasons.

And finally, if you were staying in "basic reality," you wouldn't be using any Age names at all. Reality doesn't fall neatly into labeled historical divisions. We do this simply as a shorthand means of talking about a medium we love. That's all.

But like I said, I don't mind if you utterly reject everything we say, even if you never read it first to form an informed opinion. That's your business. But I'll happily discuss these topics with people who *want* to discuss them. That's part of the fun of being in comics.

Arnold

And finally, if you were staying in "basic reality," you wouldn't be using any Age names at all. Reality doesn't fall neatly into labeled historical divisions.

Well, if you can't see the "real world" palpable shifts that the Marvel Silver and Bronze Ages brought in, then I'd recommend a new pair of glasses. For some others, it's a bit more hazy, but to say that you can't tell where ANY of the Ages start or end is just plain wrong.

P.S. Find me a person who believes in this "The Comics Code Dictacts The Ages" and I'll find you an Archie/Harvey/Funny Animal collector with a grudge. 27_laughing.gif