• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How have these comic boards been changing through the years?

125 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I've been around here since late last December. But I am now realizing that some of you have been around here for years. I'm just wondering how these CGC comic related boards have changed over the years. What topics are being covered now that didn't used to be? Any topics covered then but not now? Any change in attitudes of the members? More or less shills or trolls? Number of posts or threads? More controversial now or then, and etc. I have certainly learned quite a bit from many of you in my less than six months here and this whole experience has certainly become a positive change in my "comic life". I'm just interested in how the forum has changed as well as how you have been influenced by the boards and the people with whom you have communicated with.

Here's lookin' at all the years to come thumbsup2.gif

Any stories from you old timer forum members from way back when.......?

------Sid

I'm not an old-timer but did lurk for several months before I joined and I'd say the boards are much calmer now. It seemed there was always at least one flame war going on whenever I tuned in.Many of the worse flamers are gone now,or post more infrequently.

My impression of the boards back then were that they were more elitist and dealt mostly with very HG boks,but I could be mistaken.

After all this time,most interesting topics have ben done to death,imo

Well I used to be the only non-American here.... confused-smiley-013.gif

That's assuming that Canadians are basically Americans. grin.gif

Well it is "America Light" after all... confused-smiley-013.gif

But back to the topic... not much different really...

Just a whole lot more people now... so topics get rehashed more often. In the early days when there were only about 40 of us posting regularly we didn't rehash much at all because we had all already seen it.

Now that we have around 250 people who are here on a semi-regular basis, there are a lot of topics that get brought up over and over and over again...

Was wondering that myself Bass..

I imagine 2 -3 years ago.. it was 10-15 guys bantering back and forth about comics.

similar to a private conversation in a coffesshop, or LCS.

Most members were probably in the biz?, or a major collectors?

I dunno just a guess.. confused-smiley-013.gif

3 years ago I cant imagine a casual buyer knowing what CGC was.

The OT stuff was prolly not near an issue as it is now with the influx of new members.

And I also imagine every topic has been brought up in one form or another regarding comics... . so I can see how it might be frustrating for an longtime forumite ... to sit through all the re tread posts made here weekly .

As they groan when they see a newbie.. make a post about

"whats the best comic deal you ever got?", or

"Whats the worst shape box you recieved in the mail from a seller"

or.. "How do you guys store your comics?".. or

welll you get the idea...

But re treading them is fun for me.. and even the same posted question can create new responses.. even if you have answered it 3 times before.

The more people who you ask a question .. the more answers you might get.

I wonder tho.. of those longtime members..

Did every post made.. end up with the same 5-10 people having some flame war about the topic.. or worse yet... not even related to the posted topic?

The thing I think is sad.. is so many posts made today.. get hijacked by members who dont stick to the topic at hand, because they have read it, seen it, been there done that so many times before on so many previous posts. in the past 2 years.

What might be a new topic to the poster... is considered boring and old hat..and after 5-10,000 posts.. I can imagine you guys have seen it all.

Perhaps we dont need a new OT forum.. but a private club where the old vets can hang out............. and lets the pups play in Comics General stooges.gif

Would love to hear the old foogies weigh in on their begginings on the CGC Comic's General Forum.

Well technically Canada is IN America.... smirk.gif

Most people won't realize this, but when Darth came on the boards, he was somewhat of a rebel, heralding his moderns. Calling the rest of us "old fogies" because we like Silver Bronze and Gold...

And now look at him; 20 lbs heavier,part of the establishment selling/buying 60's and 70s books...et tu Darth, et tu ? tongue.gif

Well technically Canada is IN America.... smirk.gif

mad.gif

hey, don't blame me; blame Vespucci...

Map of America

america.gif

There weren't endless quotes within quotes within quotes within quotes. This is a recent development that resulted from Arch doing some tinkering with the boards last year. Really bugs me,more than it should. Its killed many a decent thread,long before its time.

Sigh.. posted topic was .

What do we get..? a geography lesson.. foreheadslap.gif

Give up the stories guys.. you do have a few memories of the forum back in the day..

Dont ya? confused-smiley-013.gif

you're complaining already and I haven't even started handing out the quiz yet ???... sumo.gif

Give up the stories guys.. you do have a few memories of the forum back in the day..

How far back do you want??

It's been a mud-slinging, flame-tossing, cluster [!@#%^&^] for as long as I've been here.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How far back do you want??

It's been a mud-slinging, flame-tossing, cluster [!@#%^&^] for as long as I've been here.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif I see then it would be a Normal posting board..All boards are like that to some extent 27_laughing.gif