• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How have these comic boards been changing through the years?

125 posts in this topic

It's been a mud-slinging, flame-tossing, cluster [!@#%^&^] for as long as I've been here.

:

I rest my case.... makepoint.gif

Perry%20Mason%20new.jpg

Damn you, Perry Mason!!!!

893frustrated.gif

acclaim.gif

ALL HAIL THE KING OF POSTS, DON GREGGY!!! acclaim.gif
confused.gif I used to write actual words back in the day! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thus, Greggy's custom title...

cool.gif

Sigh.. posted topic was .

How have these comic boards been changing through the years?

What do we get..? a geography lesson.. foreheadslap.gif

Give up the stories guys.. you do have a few memories of the forum back in the day..

Dont ya? confused-smiley-013.gif

How far back do you want??

It's been a mud-slinging, flame-tossing, cluster [!@#%^&^] for as long as I've been here.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

At least we know where the problem is now.

Overall, Sid. It is about the same with the exception of a lot more OT the past few months. Also at one point there was netiher a Grading and Restoration section or a Collecting Polls and Facts section. So things got really smooshed into General.

But it DOES seem tempers are more on the rise lately. I HAVE seen more arguing and protracted arguing etc. than we used to have. But what the heck. That is gonna happen the more folks arrive and the more personalities and opinions diverge.

Any change in attitudes of the members?

Lots of the unpleasant arseholes have either been banned or had big-time attitude improvements, with joe_collector being the finest example of the latter! I can only think of one long-time forum member who has always been, and probably always will be, a total bad-attitude arrogant weinerhead... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifflowerred.gif

As House said it's gone from about 40 or so "regulars" to many, many more.

Back in the "old days" it seemed we did alot more talking (at least in the general section) about grading and book sales. Back in the first year of the forums, CGC was still relatively new to the majority of the collecting world, so there was alot of discussion about their place in the hobby, their grading, etc....

There was definately alot more "comic talk": what books do you collect? what are your favorite stories? who is your favorite cover artist? when did the Bronze Age start? What books are truly "key" and what books are just "hype" (cough, Iron Fist #14, cough), whereas now, alot of the topics are related to, but not exclusively about comics. I think that's just part of the board 's evolution. Alot of us have got to know each other pretty well (or as well as you can on a chat-board) thru PM's and the like, that alot of threads do get hi-jacked w/ inside jokes and what not (guilty as charged).

The flame wars still existed. In fact, nothing will ever top the infamous "Xmas Eve Massacre" that ended with a bunch of us thrown in the now defunct Penalty Box. There used to be alot of "Hammer-time" here w/ forumites fighting w/ Comic-Keys about his business practices.

My first year or so on the forums was more of a learning period (resto, what is True HG, what dealers are good, etc). Now, I feel like it's more a place to meet people, make contacts, and have a good time. I have had a great time the past few years meeting people and making friends. Collecting books, as much fun as it was when I was younger, has become even more fun because of the members here. Even the one's I have had run-in's with. laugh.gif

Overall, Sid. It is about the same with the exception of a lot more OT the past few months. Also at one point there was netiher a Grading and Restoration section or a Collecting Polls and Facts section. So things got really smooshed into General.

But it DOES seem tempers are more on the rise lately. I HAVE seen more arguing and protracted arguing etc. than we used to have. But what the heck. That is gonna happen the more folks arrive and the more personalities and opinions diverge.

We really need a massacre... confused-smiley-013.gif

Been saying it for months... confused-smiley-013.gif

In the early days of the boards we could count on an outlet for all that frustration... and like sailors on liberty, we got it out of our systems in one place at one time, and then went back to the kinder gentler forum we all love...

Since the last massacre, we have all taken to dryhumping greggy in the cargo hold while he sleeps and it's just not the same... confused-smiley-013.gif

As House said it's gone from about 40 or so "regulars" to many, many more.

Back in the "old days" it seemed we did alot more talking (at least in the general section) about grading and book sales. Back in the first year of the forums, CGC was still relatively new to the majority of the collecting world, so there was alot of discussion about their place in the hobby, their grading, etc....

There was definately alot more "comic talk": what books do you collect? what are your favorite stories? who is your favorite cover artist? when did the Bronze Age start? What books are truly "key" and what books are just "hype" (cough, Iron Fist #14, cough), whereas now, alot of the topics are related to, but not exclusively about comics. I think that's just part of the board 's evolution. Alot of us have got to know each other pretty well (or as well as you can on a chat-board) thru PM's and the like, that alot of threads do get hi-jacked w/ inside jokes and what not (guilty as charged).

The flame wars still existed. In fact, nothing will ever top the infamous "Xmas Eve Massacre" that ended with a bunch of us thrown in the now defunct Penalty Box. There used to be alot of "Hammer-time" here w/ forumites fighting w/ Comic-Keys about his business practices.

My first year or so on the forums was more of a learning period (resto, what is True HG, what dealers are good, etc). Now, I feel like it's more a place to meet people, make contacts, and have a good time. I have had a great time the past few years meeting people and making friends. Collecting books, as much fun as it was when I was younger, has become even more fun because of the members here. Even the one's I have had run-in's with. laugh.gif

I feel a group hug coming on. cloud9.gif

Lots of the unpleasant arseholes have either been banned or had big-time attitude improvements, with joe_collector being the finest example of the latter! I can only think of one long-time forum member who has always been, and probably always will be, a total bad-attitude arrogant weinerhead... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifflowerred.gif

Ashley! Be nice!

And where's that apology? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When I came on, Procrustian was in the middle of a big flame war because he was using stolen scans in his auctions. Someone started a poll about the biggest 893censored-thumb.gif in the forum and he won hands down. "Methuselah", hammer's very first ID, was just starting to cause a wee ruckus, though it didn't get out of hand until a bit later.

I remember asking questions and getting pointed to old threads, to catch up. It was kinda fun figuring out who was who, and what the history was that everyone referenced at will.

I came here because I was just about to start selling comics on ebay. I'd been out of the hobby for a few years and found out there was something called CGC. I had no idea what that was. After a lot of googling, I found the collector's society and one day, I wandered onto the boards. I immediately recognized that there were a lot of people here who could help me get up to speed on what had happened in comics since my departure.

The topics I remember, other than the flame wars I mentioned, were things like "private auctions", "selling on ebay: book by book or as one big lot", "Why did the comics market decline in the 90's", ebay categories, memorable comic book dialogue, and so on. Many of the topics were the same as those we see today. There were plenty of warning posts about bad sellers/buyers, and lots of "grade my book".

Over time, some memorable shared experiences made it really feel like a community. Things like the massacres, the bannings, some of the flame wars, some of the feel good threads (yes, OT, but what I consider OT-Lite, i.e. posts about us, our lives, our jobs, our photos, our pets, etc. They're not about comics, but they're about the people here and that makes them feel a lot less OT to me than, say, discussion of a sporting event, or something in the news, or a movie/TV show, etc.).

Then or now, it's a great place to hang out.

-- Joanna

Ashley! Be nice!

i was wondering if he was referencing you?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and, i take it that the apology you have been seeking for this past month has not been forthcoming?? devil.gif

Ashley! Be nice!

i was wondering if he was referencing you?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and, i take it that the apology you have been seeking for this past month has not been forthcoming?? devil.gif

Now that Hammer's gone ( 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ), Ashley is CONSTANTLY referencing me. It's almost embarassing.

Not as embarassing as the fact that he is apparently incapable of apologizing for a grievous mistake followed by a very damaging accusation, of course; but, I suppose, if nothing else, my sacrifice here will serve as a warning to all others who have dealings with Ashley Rudd.

confused-smiley-013.gif

shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Now WHY would you think I meant HIM??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifsmirk.gifangel.gif

I sincerely hope you didn't think that you could pass that off as clever? confused.gif

You know what would be REALLY clever? An apology. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif