• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Shop Odyssey

42 posts in this topic

Got out and about today and went to 5 comic shops in Albuquerque.

First was Noble Collectibles. Great store if you love digging through unorganized long boxes, they had about 20 of them. They mostly specialize in video games new and old but they are pricey. Didnt find a whole lot as we had many shops to see and didnt have time to dig for hours. I only picked out two comics from this place.

New Mutants 87 (2nd print)

Avenging Spiderman 6

Yes the sun was quite potent.

Photobucket

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then we headed to Twin Suns comic & game gear. Great place for modern comics and graphic novels. Small selection of SA comics. Very well picked through couldnt pull one modern from the place for cover price. But the owner Josh, also owned by his twin brother hence the name, was very polite/helpful and great for comic talk. He actually pulled out his walking dead comics in the back for me to look through, practically a complete run from 10 on, minus 19 and 27. For some odd reason the seller wanted to hang on to those two hm. He also had on hand a Walking Dead 1 & 2 which i gawked at for probably a good 10 minutes but decided against such a big purchase with so much road still left to go. O he even hooked me up with some free preview catalogs as well. Are these always free? idk. I did however purchase a couple WD at a good price

2-Image first Walking Dead 1

Walking Dead 18- Love the mysterious hanging cover

Great place and definitely recommended.

Forgot to take a pic here so.....

Photobucket

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onto Astro-Zombie. It has been voted best comic shop in Albuquerque for the last 11 years and i would have to agree. By far the largest selection of Graphic novels ive ever seen and a bountiful assortment of back issues along with an entire wall for all new issues and a good selection of SA. Albuquerque apparently is just picked to hell though. I mean this place had no Walking Deads at all (did have weekly) and only i think 4 Chew issues (Chew is almost impossible to find in Albuq) and every hot image series was nowhere to be seen. But i did grab two comics once again

Chew 3 (3rd print)

Chew 4 (2nd print)- been looking forever for this one. Super pumped.

A must stop!

Side view of the store

Photobucket

I saved the best for last however. Yes Astro-Zombies was the best comic store but hands down my favorite store and best store for comics & collectibles was Kaboom Test Labs. The place is well organized and had everything from Life size batman, superman, and wonder woman statues to light-saber umbrellas. Great selection of moderns but lacking in the back issues category and had a decent selection of key SA comics. Unbelievable selection of action figures too. The place is also geared to all ages and genders which can be quite rare. The best part about the store though was the employees. Gene (owner), Duke, Zach, and the uncommissioned Mitch were an Amazing group of guys to talk to and i ended up staying there well past what i had planned. Gene even hooked me up with a buy one get one 1/2 off of the new Halo Reach play arts action figures from Square Enix (I collect halo AF as well). The sale was supposed to be next week but he offered it to me since i wouldnt be around for it. These put macfarlane's to shame. So i grabbed one of Emile and Noble Six. Did pick up a couple comics as well

Uncanny X-men 1 Blank Sketch

Walking Dead 94

Avenging Spiderman 1 (recommended to me by them)

Photobucket

O yeah and also went by Old West Comics. But the person, who i assumed was the owner, was so rude to another customer and less then polite to me that i just left without a purchase. But they did have a cool wall mural. Skip it!

Photobucket

I concur. Was there earlier this week and picked up three ToT 1 first prints. Went to several shops this week in Texas and none of them were better than All Star Comics.

Went by 2 shops in OKC and 1 in Tulsa. BEST DAY EVER!

Best store of the day was the first one we went to New World Comics & Games. I was immediately greeted and asked if i need any help finding anything. They had probably 100+ long boxes stuff full of sorted and misc back issues. Great selection of moderns and a quality selection of SA comics. Owner was awesome and really made you feel comfortable. I wish i could have stayed for a couple hrs to dig and talk but couldnt due to time constraints. Still was able to pull a couple comics in the short time i was there.

2- Thief of Thieves 1 (1st)

2- Thief of Thieves 2 (1st)

Avenging Spiderman #3

Detective Comics #1 Millennium edition

Photobucket

Then we headed to All star comics which bar none had the best selection of SA/GA books around. I was in awe of some of the gems he had there at the store ex. Avengers 1. But still was unable to really find a SA comic that i wanted. I just cant decide on a SA series that i would want to collect and the cost for high grade copys is a hindrance as well. Owner was nice but not very talkative. Still an amazing store though and i wish i had access to this place weekly. Acquired only a few issues from here

The Bulletproof Coffin Disinterred 3

Fatale 1 (3rd)

Fatale 2 (1st)

Photobucket

Last was Vintage Stock in Tulsa. Seemed like an upscale Hastings. Better comic selection, although lacking in older comics, and many more collectibles. However I still could not find anything that really interested me. Solid chain store. Sorry no picture completely forgot about it.

O yeah i also picked up these from New World. Owner grabbed them out of the back and gave me a really good deal on them (thumbs u . I cant explain how pumped i was about this and had an adrenaline rush for about an hr after. This also stopped me from making larger purchases at the other two stores.

IMG_0613

I concur. Was there earlier this week and picked up three ToT 1 first prints. Went to several shops this week in Texas and none of them were better than All Star Comics.

Tried to get there but we have just been real pressed for time lately to get to places before they close. Ended up stopping by another one regrettably.

I've always thought about doing this kind of thing (and bug ups to you for actually getting it done). My dream is to win the lottery, then recreate "On the Road" -hitting every antique, thrift and comic shop on every road I hit. Sadly, it would take a wild reimagining of my life.

I've always thought about doing this kind of thing (and bug ups to you for actually getting it done). My dream is to win the lottery, then recreate "On the Road" -hitting every antique, thrift and comic shop on every road I hit. Sadly, it would take a wild reimagining of my life.

Ha! That is the first thing I thought of too. A Kerouac comic book version of "On The Road". I'm going to have to live the dream before the Mayan calendar runs out. Safe travels, del!!

Well today was the final day of our trip. We stopped in st louis to go by a couple shops but unfortunately all were closed on sunday for some reason. Disappointed but to be honest i was tired as mess so it didnt put a huge damper on my day. Made it all the way back to ohio and am finally home and unpacked. This was an absolute amazing trip and definitely suggest it to any one who has ever thought of doing it. But from now on im going to post about any new comic shop i go to and would love if some people did the same. Maybe we can make this forum into a reference of comic shops across the nation!

Fun thread, thanks for writing it up. Good luck in Ohio.

Well today was the final day of our trip. We stopped in st louis to go by a couple shops but unfortunately all were closed on sunday for some reason. Disappointed but to be honest i was tired as mess so it didnt put a huge damper on my day. Made it all the way back to ohio and am finally home and unpacked. This was an absolute amazing trip and definitely suggest it to any one who has ever thought of doing it. But from now on im going to post about any new comic shop i go to and would love if some people did the same. Maybe we can make this forum into a reference of comic shops across the nation!